This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

eyesthebye
Real Estate Talker

Re: Most Vancouver condo buyers prefer a house

Mon May 16, 2011 8:37 am

Then they whine about not being able to afford a larger home with land when they begin raising children.
People whining? Never!
And they're the same ones that whine when the downstairs tenant smokes weed when the kids are getting ready for bed, and probably the same ones that whine when their assessment increases 20% and think that's the sole reason their property tax increased. Want a tenant-free yard in the city? Go to medical school, get born to rich parents, or buy 10 years ago. Otherwise pull up your stakes and move.
yes, please move
the cure for higher prices is moving to a destination with lower prices

curious
Real Estate Talker

Mon May 16, 2011 8:52 am

I was referring to the dipshits who bought condos at 600K when they could have chosen to buy a home with land for same amount of $.
For $600K you can buy a condo in a False Creek North. Modern highrise, high floor, view, walking distance to sky train, shopping, restaurants, sea wall etc.

What kind of house you can buy for $600K?

Also, don't forget that it is a lifestyle choice. For those who don't want to have many children or commute, condo lifestyle looks attractive.

jesse1
Real Estate Talker

Mon May 16, 2011 9:00 am

yes, please move
Now why would I do that? I don't have strangers living in my basement and I don't live in a condo. Sheesh. :roll:

eyesthebye
Real Estate Talker

Mon May 16, 2011 9:48 am

yes, please move
Now why would I do that? I don't have strangers living in my basement and I don't live in a condo. Sheesh. :roll:
neither do I...fancy that

eyesthebye
Real Estate Talker

Mon May 16, 2011 9:54 am

I was referring to the dipshits who bought condos at 600K when they could have chosen to buy a home with land for same amount of $.
For $600K you can buy a condo in a False Creek North. Modern highrise, high floor, view, walking distance to sky train, shopping, restaurants, sea wall etc.

Also, don't forget that it is a lifestyle choice. For those who don't want to have many children or commute, condo lifestyle looks attractive.

can't buy much for 600K now.

The point is, the moment you buy your condo you lose ground to the detached market. The affordability keeps getting further and further away. Worse if you decide to rent as your savings lose ground to the attached market too. Folks who make these poor choices end up bitching about it when they want to move up property class and finally uncover the affordability gap they've created with their previous decision.

curious
Real Estate Talker

Mon May 16, 2011 12:14 pm

The point is, the moment you buy your condo you lose ground to the detached market
It depends of location.
In 2001, friends of mine bought a big house with a huge lot in Port Coquitlam (they didn't like PC, but the house was nice and big and the agent convinced them that it was a good deal).
Another friends bought a condo at the Pinnacle highrise in Yaletown.

What can I say? - The Yaletown condo appreciated more than PC house.

vanreal
Real Estate Talker

Mon May 16, 2011 2:15 pm

how big is that 600,000 condo. It sure isn't 2 bedroom

eyesthebye
Real Estate Talker

Mon May 16, 2011 2:48 pm

The point is, the moment you buy your condo you lose ground to the detached market
It depends of location.
In 2001, friends of mine bought a big house with a huge lot in Port Coquitlam (they didn't like PC, but the house was nice and big and the agent convinced them that it was a good deal).
Another friends bought a condo at the Pinnacle highrise in Yaletown.

What can I say? - The Yaletown condo appreciated more than PC house.
comparing prices in two different markets. Let's stay apples to apples