This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

vanreal
Real Estate Talker

Re: Mind-boggling story of the day.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:47 am

Sorry, but real estate is real estate. The answer as to which is more valuable is obvious.
You misunderstood - I'm not referring to financial net worth, but self-worth. ETB's premise has always been that a SFH is an "investment in himself", and thinks that everyone aspires to own a SFH so that they will have achieved "success". Pining for a SFH and not being satisfied with anything but might be true of ETB's circle of friends, but it is not the case in mine.

pining for a detached home is the sole reason for the post count on this site. If this wasn't true we wouldn't have so many grumpy b :evil: :evil: rs
sorry eyes but some condos are much nicer than sfh's

eyesthebye
Real Estate Talker

Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:13 pm

"vanreal"
sorry eyes but some condos are much nicer than sfh's
I agree that a new condo is much nicer looking. Buyers are indeed duped into paying far more than they should by granite countertops, flashy new tile, stainless steel appliances, etc.
Anyone paying more for a condo than a piece of land has fallen prey to the savvy developer marketing tools. If you've paid 50% or less for a condo than a SFH then you're probably doing it right. And yes, I agree that some need a condo due to age, disability, etc. - I'm talking about the other camp who have done it by choice.
the cure for higher prices is moving to a destination with lower prices

vanreal
Real Estate Talker

Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:11 pm

I do agree with you , ETB, up to a point. It depends where the condo is and where the sfh is. A downtown condo should sell more than a sfh in surrey, but a vancouver city house should cost the most

eyesthebye
Real Estate Talker

Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:39 pm

I do agree with you , ETB, up to a point. It depends where the condo is and where the sfh is. A downtown condo should sell more than a sfh in surrey, but a vancouver city house should cost the most
downtown is overbuilt.
I'd take a new condo in Main or Commerical Drive area over downtown - and a SFH in Surrey probably trumps a condo...but it depends on where you work.
The old motto "work where you live, live where you work" comes to mind. And price is a consideration - condo needs to be considerably cheaper than SFH IMO
the cure for higher prices is moving to a destination with lower prices

buyorsell
Real Estate Talker

Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:52 am

It's still true, "Location! Location! Location!"

thinktom
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:30 pm

Every time a marketer says 'The last one to be built in this area' I cringe.... and look around at the parking lots and crumbling buildings where others could go.

Coal Harbour perhaps being the exception. There really isn't much land left down there. The Yaletown height restriction makes things interesting as well but I still see older buildings that could be redone.

westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:01 pm

Coal Harbour perhaps being the exception. There really isn't much land left down there.
They need to get rid of all those pesky office buildings :wink:

vanreal
Real Estate Talker

Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:11 pm

downtown is overbuilt.
I'd take a new condo in Main or Commerical Drive area over downtown - and a SFH in Surrey probably trumps a condo...but it depends on where you work.
The old motto "work where you live, live where you work" comes to mind. And price is a consideration - condo needs to be considerably cheaper than SFH IMO
I guess we have to agree to disagree. I still say that location is more important that type of house.

thinktom
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:18 pm

Coal Harbour perhaps being the exception. There really isn't much land left down there.
They need to get rid of all those pesky office buildings :wink:
Sometimes I look downtown and I wonder what everyone does for a living. Do we even HAVE many office buildings left? :)