This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker

Re: Vancouver indvidual property sales details

Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:54 pm

Well boys and girls, the market is starting to heat up again.  I called it 2 or 3 weeks ago when I said that sales are picking up.  Even that clown Steve Starsky (whatever his name is) is starting to admit it.  Bet we wont see the full results until the end of March when the reports come out.  The market isn't hitting sales VOLUMES that it hit last year, but sale PRICES are sure getting close if not passing last years PEAK prices, or getting pretty close to it.

Really real have fun with this post!
One sale does not make a market one way or the other.  When I showed examples of people taking less money, there was always an excuse.  This sale is probably nothing more than someone laundering money and selling to themselves.  You guys are so gullible.
Why is Steve Starsky a clown?  because he has the balls to call it like he sees it?  
But that's ok hara, if the market has in fact picked up - you have been thrown a lifeline.  Maybe you can sell one of your cookie cutter houses for a profit!  congrats!   :D

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:03 pm

Well boys and girls, the market is starting to heat up again.  I called it 2 or 3 weeks ago when I said that sales are picking up.  Even that clown Steve Starsky (whatever his name is) is starting to admit it.  Bet we wont see the full results until the end of March when the reports come out.  The market isn't hitting sales VOLUMES that it hit last year, but sale PRICES are sure getting close if not passing last years PEAK prices, or getting pretty close to it.

Well  said cloud is a bit mouthy. He just missed the boat and wants to bring people down to his level

Harahomes
Real Estate Talker

Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:57 pm

"But that's ok hara, if the market has in fact picked up - you have been thrown a lifeline.  Maybe you can sell one of your cookie cutter houses for a profit!  congrats!   Image "
Whats with the personal attacks?  Members from this board have come out to one of my projects and commented on the great quality.  Have you even seen one of my projects?

reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker

Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:02 pm

"But that's ok hara, if the market has in fact picked up - you have been thrown a lifeline.  Maybe you can sell one of your cookie cutter houses for a profit!  congrats!   Image "
Whats with the personal attacks?  Members from this board have come out to one of my projects and commented on the great quality.  Have you even seen one of my projects?
Where did I say they weren't great quality?
They are uninteresting.  I'd say 98% of the new houses built in Vancouver are pretty much all the same - very very little distinguishing features.  I don't blame you - you want to market to the most amount of people.
But in all seriousness, I hope you do well when it comes time to sell  :D

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:15 pm

People actually in Vancouver with experience know that the majority of construction is so unique its not even funny. There are many parts that set them along, and a narrow market at that. special kitchens for this or that culture, bathrooms, number of suites, et al.

Harahomes
Real Estate Talker

Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:21 pm

They are uninteresting.  I'd say 98% of the new houses built in Vancouver are pretty much all the same - very very little distinguishing features.  I don't blame you - you want to market to the most amount of people.
Thanks for the clarity. 
However the zoning restrictions only allow a home to build a certain way to maximize sq ft.  And that's what people want, more sq ft. 
Also when you refer to something as cookie cutter it sounds like your down grading its quality. 
Again thanks for the clarity on this issue

VanLord
Real Estate Talker

Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:46 pm

Thanks for the clarity. 
However the zoning restrictions only allow a home to build a certain way to maximize sq ft.  And that's what people want, more sq ft. 
Also when you refer to something as cookie cutter it sounds like your down grading its quality. 
Again thanks for the clarity on this issue
Hara what do you think about doing land assembly and building rental apartment buildings based on the new Grandview Woodlands community plan?  

yzfr1
Real Estate Talker

Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:56 pm

Harahomes

How much $ sqft are your projects? Most of the houses in Vancouver are cookie cutter in a sense that land is so expensive developers need to maximize living space. At the end of the day optimization is always the same square designs. Surrey / Langley and maple ridge have some nice homes that are designed well because land is cheaper, more of those cost is in home. In Vancouver 400-500k in home and and 1 million in land. In Langley you can have 600-700 in house and 200 in land. Also I noticed houses are made with OSB in the valley. All houses I see in Vancouver is framed with plywood.

Maybe cheaper quality in the valley. My home was around $170 sqft back in the day built by Chinese, I thought it was light years ahead of the Indian $140 stuff at the time

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:06 pm

Zoning in Vancouver is about to be expanded vastly with extra floors. bigger buildings when you tear a place down, and a whole ton of stuff

reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker

Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:29 pm

Harahomes

How much $ sqft are your projects? Most of the houses in Vancouver are cookie cutter in a sense that land is so expensive developers need to maximize living space. At the end of the day optimization is always the same square designs. Surrey / Langley and maple ridge have some nice homes that are designed well because land is cheaper, more of those cost is in home. In Vancouver 400-500k in home and and 1 million in land. In Langley you can have 600-700 in house and 200 in land. Also I noticed houses are made with OSB in the valley. All houses I see in Vancouver is framed with plywood.

Maybe cheaper quality in the valley. My home was around $170 sqft back in the day built by Chinese, I thought it was light years ahead of the Indian $140 stuff at the time
I get quotes of $220-$230/ft.

That is with having a builder build for me. I am sure hara can do cheaper because he is the builder so doesn't pay anybody.

I think some of the houses built in the past 10 years are embarrassing. Such poor quality and lack of attention to detail.

Harahomes
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:11 am

Hara what do you think about doing land assembly and building rental apartment buildings based on the new Grandview Woodlands community plan?  
The problem with doing a land assembly and building rental units is rate of return is small compared to the time you have to hold the project for.  The only players that would do something like that is government (turns into social housing or projects, government is horrible at up keep etc etc) or players with huge sums of cash like Concord.  The bigger guys would hold a project like this as part of their whole portfolio. The average guy like you and me doesn't make sense.  You can use that sort of money to do a lot more in less time.

Rental apartments are needed in Vancouver.  No doubt in that.  A lot of rental housing would be opened up if Air BNB was banned. 

Building rental apartments is a great idea, However, as a sole income source not so much.
Last edited by Harahomes on Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Harahomes
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:24 am

Harahomes

Hey
The costs for homes in Vancouver start at about $165ish sq ft.  Outside of the city of  Vancouver (Burnaby etc) that same house would start at about $150.  The reason is Vancouver makes you do things no other city would.  For example:  You need to hire a professional to make sure you house is air tight, sprinklers (other city's do this now) and the big factor is they are making you double wall the exterior walls to separate mechical (piping, water lines vents etc) and the insulted wall.  No where else in Canada is this done.  Not in the north, not in Ontario.  The reasoning for this is that they are worried that the pipes will freeze.  Prime example of someone that doesn't know anything about construction making stupid rules. 
$165 a sq ft is a basic home.  The average homes you see on MLS these days runs about the $200 per sq ft range.  Again its hard to answer these questions with out defining exactly what's in the house.
Those houses aren't made of OSB, (maybe they are I haven't seen any)  Its a plywood product called chip board.  Its glued together pieces of chips.  Its about $7 to $10 cheaper then regular ply.  Its supposed to be stronger, but it turns into a sponge when it gets wet and its not has strong ply when its sheared laterialy. 
Last edited by Harahomes on Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harahomes
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:27 am

Harahomes

It depends, to many factors
In my 3 last projects.  Rounded figures
Project A $198 sq ft
Project B $250+ sq ft, 
Project C $168 Sq ft 

westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:49 am

I think some of the houses built in the past 10 years are embarrassing.  Such poor quality and lack of attention to detail.
Anecdotal... when we were going through our house reno in 15/16, one of the inspectors that came through had built and flipped a few homes over the years.  He commented that he only built homes to the bare minimum, and didn't expect them to last much beyond 5-10 years.  He was an inspector, so I'm assuming he knows exactly what he has to do (and what he doesn't have to do) to get by.  It was pretty sad to hear.
I would personally only buy homes that have been pre-existing for decades, or that are custom built for me by a builder I trust.  Anything else is gambling on quality.

reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:46 am

I think some of the houses built in the past 10 years are embarrassing.  Such poor quality and lack of attention to detail.
Anecdotal... when we were going through our house reno in 15/16, one of the inspectors that came through had built and flipped a few homes over the years.  He commented that he only built homes to the bare minimum, and didn't expect them to last much beyond 5-10 years.  He was an inspector, so I'm assuming he knows exactly what he has to do (and what he doesn't have to do) to get by.  It was pretty sad to hear.
I would personally only buy homes that have been pre-existing for decades, or that are custom built for me by a builder I trust.  Anything else is gambling on quality.
100% agree.

The sad thing is that so many of these cheap are being built that even if you don't live in one, there is one on your block - maybe even two.

I live in N Bby and seeing some of the new homes that are being offerred is hilarious. I can tell from the pictures how cheap these are built - imagine walking through them.

I would buy a 30 year old van special over a 10 year old one. Seems like they built homes to last back in the day.