This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Re: New affordable housing policies for the young

Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:10 pm

God help us if the NDP wins, Christy is as corrupt as they come, but man the alternative will be far worse!  If only another party could get their act together, or if the NDP would learn from their past mistakes and become a centrist party, rather than trying to go further left, as it stands I sure hope the NDP is unelectable, which I think they are.
 Le me remind VanLord that the homeless problem is exacerbated by the affordability issue. Many low-income residents are being tossed. What about the pensioners? What about the working people who are being evicted?

The rules being set by the province.
homelessness problem is an addiction problem. All the low cost housing in the world wont solve it. Trust me, I'm at ground zero of that issue for the past 20 years.
 True. I've been a post-rehab counselor. Hard drug addiction is the devil to beat.

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:08 pm

Has anyone solved homelessness, ever?  If not, why does Vancouver think they will?
We can't create paradise on earth. There will always be a core group of the homeless.
That said, we must look at the context today. Greater inequality creates losers. The humane among us would like to see some relief. After all, we will all be losers if we harden our hearts.
It would be okay, if the losers simply moved away. The problem is that a lot of the losers will still be here. Because the only big winners will be the people who benefit from the RE boom. Your house is worth a lot more. But, are you able to upgrade within the central area. What about your kids?
The risk is that the ill will creates instability. Donald Rrump got himself elected. He's going to be a big problem. The big uncertainty is what comes after him?
At this point, what we need is a game changer. Vision Vancouver seems to be signalling that they are willing to be decisive. Win or lose? Remains to be seen.
Tomorrow, I will cite examples where decisive action has been possible. Though not by a municipal government. Vision Vancouver will need the support of the provincial government. Will the NDP play the part? Perhaps, we will live happily after. Perhaps not. 

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:11 pm

the president will clean up the swamp

yzfr1
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:54 pm

You freaking liberal morons.

The welfair state doesn't work. Anytime someone can get something for nothing, there will be always abuse of the system.

Look at the states, in the poorest neighbourhoods (blacks) there are families stuck in the welfair system. 3rd generation on food stamps. Why do they need to break the cycle poverty when they can stay home and do nothing.

Look at First Nations. They have tons of treaties, land and $ yet after several generations they are stuck in a cycle of alocohism, addiction and poverty.

You cant just throw money at the poor.

Also every Canadian needs shelter, correct but who said they need to buy? Or rent in downtown. If you are a average worker you can easily rent something in the valley.

When mentally stable workers need to live on the street the we will have a housing problem. We have a entitlement problem.

VanLord
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:59 pm

Has anyone solved homelessness, ever?  If not, why does Vancouver think they will?
We can't create paradise on earth. There will always be a core group of the homeless.
That said, we must look at the context today. Greater inequality creates losers. The humane among us would like to see some relief. After all, we will all be losers if we harden our hearts.
It would be okay, if the losers simply moved away. The problem is that a lot of the losers will still be here. Because the only big winners will be the people who benefit from the RE boom. Your house is worth a lot more. But, are you able to upgrade within the central area. What about your kids?
The risk is that the ill will creates instability. Donald Rrump got himself elected. He's going to be a big problem. The big uncertainty is what comes after him?
At this point, what we need is a game changer. Vision Vancouver seems to be signalling that they are willing to be decisive. Win or lose? Remains to be seen.
Tomorrow, I will cite examples where decisive action has been possible. Though not by a municipal government. Vision Vancouver will need the support of the provincial government. Will the NDP play the part? Perhaps, we will live happily after. Perhaps not. 
Ha will be the first time I don't vote for the NDP, well then again I didn't vote last election, cause I couldn't bring myself to vote for either party.
Interesting to see Seattle's bike share is about to shut down, and Vancouver is into this thing for 8mil...That could have went a long ways to helping the poor and homeless, instead it went to a bike share program which gets 800 rides a day (that works out to 5.50 per bike ride over the next 5 years, that we are paying to subsidize this thing).  http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news ... -vancouver
I was also looking at the housing reset, and some of it makes some sense, but most of it is fluff.  And they forgot half the battle.  How about we help people find jobs in Vancouver, the city needs to encourage our economy, grow small businesses, encourage people to upgrade their skills and get better paying jobs...yes a lot of that is provincial mandate, but Vancouver has a part to play in helping businesses grow locally, build the economy, heck we should be really working hard to help build our tech industry.  The city could play a big part in those areas, encouraging companies to invest here, giving them incentives and reasons to build a future in Vancouver.  That would bring young people to the city, encourage people to live and work here.  On the lower end of the scale, why can't we find away to get the homeless cleaned up and get them doing work for the city, I just read another article about how trashy the city is and how that is a low priority for Vision.  Why not offer small contracts to homeless to get them cleaning up the downtown, pay them by the pound of trash, get them some skills and experience.  
This one-sided coin ain't going to work, just pumping up the housing market with some policies and income matching scheme along side more development isn't going to get it done.  There needs to be opportunity for people to build a career and be successful, a big part of the affordability is the lack of high paying jobs in the city.

VanLord
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:02 pm

The welfair state doesn't work. Anytime someone can get something for nothing, there will be always abuse of the system.

Look at the states, in the poorest neighbourhoods (blacks) there are families stuck in the welfair system. 3rd generation on food stamps. Why do they need to break the cycle poverty when they can stay home and do nothing.

Look at First Nations. They have tons of treaties, land and $ yet after several generations they are stuck in a cycle of alocohism, addiction and poverty.

Also every Canadian needs shelter, correct but who said they need to buy? Or rent in downtown. If you are a average worker you can easily rent something in the valley.

When mentally stable workers need to live on the street the we will have a housing problem. We have a entitlement problem.
These are all very good points, very true

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:27 pm

I was also looking at the housing reset, and some of it makes some sense, but most of it is fluff.  And they forgot half the battle.  How about we help people find jobs in Vancouver, the city needs to encourage our economy, grow small businesses, encourage people to upgrade their skills and get better paying jobs...yes a lot of that is provincial mandate, but Vancouver has a part to play in helping businesses grow locally, build the economy, heck we should be really working hard to help build our tech industry.  The city could play a big part in those areas, encouraging companies to invest here, giving them incentives and reasons to build a future in Vancouver.  That would bring young people to the city, encourage people to live and work here. 
no need for fancy attraction, there's already 30,000 people coming a year
to the moon!

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:28 pm

takes 1 to know 1

anna2

Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:31 pm

Wow, it's only been a day and already 4 pages of posts!

Thank you for the warm welcome.  I've actually been reading this forum since 2007 but recently made a new account.  My old login got inactivated or something after 10 years of not logging in to write a post.

To answer your question: Yes, I do own property.   My condo completed in early 2016.  As much as I want Vancouver houses to be affordable again so I can buy, I've accepted that it will probably NOT happen.  My condo isn't big enough to raise kids, doesn't have a backyard, and isn't located downtown, but I did the best I could.  I'm glad I didn't sit around back then and whine about not having a million dollars and just bought something.  If I had to buy my condo at today's price, it would be a financial strain. 

I think people in Vancouver should be more realistic.  I know people who are struggling to find a place to rent (..they have issues, such as disability, no job, etc.) yet they expect to somehow land a one-bedroom unit downtown or in kits for $1000.  The mere mentioning of Surrey or Abbotsford will cause them to glare at me like I just insulted their mother.  How dare I imply that they should live in the Fraser Valley!  That's where poor people, sick people, and druggies live....definitely not for them! :P

I was a bull, then turned bear after mid 2015, then back to being a bull after prices started picking up again early this year.  I think it will continue to go up. 

This government strategy on creating more affordable housing sound great on paper, but I am pretty certain that the demand will not be met.  The government will pat themselves on the back when they run a couple of success stories in the Vancouver Sun about how Jane the barista and Sue who works at Whole Foods managed to buy a place as a result of this government program.  The wait list will be many years long while all the other condo units not part of the program continue to go up in price.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:49 am

Wow, it's only been a day and already 4 pages of posts!

Thank you for the warm welcome.  I've actually been reading this forum since 2007 but recently made a new account.  My old login got inactivated or something after 10 years of not logging in to write a post.

To answer your question: Yes, I do own property.   My condo completed in early 2016.  As much as I want Vancouver houses to be affordable again so I can buy, I've accepted that it will probably NOT happen.  My condo isn't big enough to raise kids, doesn't have a backyard, and isn't located downtown, but I did the best I could.  I'm glad I didn't sit around back then and whine about not having a million dollars and just bought something.  If I had to buy my condo at today's price, it would be a financial strain. 

I think people in Vancouver should be more realistic.  I know people who are struggling to find a place to rent (..they have issues, such as disability, no job, etc.) yet they expect to somehow land a one-bedroom unit downtown or in kits for $1000.  The mere mentioning of Surrey or Abbotsford will cause them to glare at me like I just insulted their mother.  How dare I imply that they should live in the Fraser Valley!  That's where poor people, sick people, and druggies live....definitely not for them! :P

I was a bull, then turned bear after mid 2015, then back to being a bull after prices started picking up again early this year.  I think it will continue to go up. 

This government strategy on creating more affordable housing sound great on paper, but I am pretty certain that the demand will not be met.  The government will pat themselves on the back when they run a couple of success stories in the Vancouver Sun about how Jane the barista and Sue who works at Whole Foods managed to buy a place as a result of this government program.  The wait list will be many years long while all the other condo units not part of the program continue to go up in price.
There's a train to Surrey but many people will turn their noses up on that since they think they deserve to live in downtown

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:34 am

This liberal says that Tommy Douglas is a good Canadian.  :!:

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:47 am

Douglas is a 1 dollar coin

Gregor has it where its at

to the moon!

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:12 am

Wow! You came late to the party. Hold on to your condo till rental vacancy rate is 2%. 
What I see is that the young middle class is moving en mass to the suburbs. Gotta pity the people buying today in multiple bidder situations. There's foolish people borrowing at low low short term rates. Won't last long.

reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:37 am

Sorry - I don't think I saw anything in there that resembled a solution.

Here's my take:

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:01 am

Wow! You came late to the party. Hold on to your condo till rental vacancy rate is 2%. 
What I see is that the young middle class is moving en mass to the suburbs. Gotta pity the people buying today in multiple bidder situations. There's foolish people borrowing at low low short term rates. Won't last long.
Have to admire the intelligent people buying instead of throwing their money away on rent