This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Re: New affordable housing policies for the young

Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:32 pm

So did you just admit you work for the muni's??  Interesting, brings a new perspective to your dumb ideas and hypocrisy.  Sticking your nose into issues that aren't yours to solve, failing miserably, then blaming Victoria for the problems.  Just hand over your taxes and we'll take care of it, buahhahahahahahahahaha...get real!!!
Huh? What a tirade! So much venom!  :!:
I have never worked for a muni. I was referring to 'we' as in 'local'. The local people know best what to do to solve problems locally. 
Let me remind you that the muni is the lowest level of the food chain. To solve the homeless problem, Victoria must invest in education, mental health and social housing. For mass transit, the cities need the Federal and Provincial governments because they collect the vast majority of the tax receipts.
Why blame the munis for problems beyond their control?

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:41 pm

There already will be MANY new teachers hired for the September school year and transit is funded as well

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:54 pm

God help us if the NDP wins, Christy is as corrupt as they come, but man the alternative will be far worse!  If only another party could get their act together, or if the NDP would learn from their past mistakes and become a centrist party, rather than trying to go further left, as it stands I sure hope the NDP is unelectable, which I think they are.
 Le me remind VanLord that the homeless problem is exacerbated by the affordability issue. Many low-income residents are being tossed. What about the pensioners? What about the working people who are being evicted?

The rules being set by the province.
Last edited by jimtan on Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:56 pm

God help us if the NDP wins, Christy is as corrupt as they come, but man the alternative will be far worse!  If only another party could get their act together, or if the NDP would learn from their past mistakes and become a centrist party, rather than trying to go further left, as it stands I sure hope the NDP is unelectable, which I think they are.
 Le me remind VanLord that the homeless problem is exacerbated by the affordability issue. Many low-income residents are being tossed. What about the pensioners? What about the working people who are being evicted?
people without a high income in bc can already get assistance with their rent, not welfare, and can live in any rental housing they want, without the need to line up for specialized government housing.

2000sqft
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:34 pm

there is a rediculous amount of cash on the sidelines...many people CHOOSE to rent not because they cant afford to buy its because they dont want to purchase...

people can move away from the city if they want...truth of the matter is that for every 1 person that wants to move out..theres like 3-5 people that want to move here and take their spot...and sometimes they will even contribute more to society..ie the tech people
To the moon and beyond!...at $2000 per sq ft

VanLord
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:37 pm

True, but the city is to blame as well, they have allowed the development at all costs mentality to proceed.  They could also stop a lot of what I would say is homelessness for show, which is really just loitering...all these kids with their dogs who setup camp along Granville, Davie, etc.  These kids just hanging out and getting stoned and collect some money.  The city can clean that up, but enacting some bylaws and enforcing them.
A lot of other homeless should be in shelters or facilities that can support their addictions and mental disorders, which should be the province.  However, moonbeam makes bold proclamations to end homelessness, knowing full well he can't really end homelessness, its just a big show to get votes...Now he's on to the next thing, which is affordability and housing, which again will need the support of the province.  The city is also sitting on a lot of land that is undeveloped and should be used for social housing, why aren't they developing those properties instead of spending 100's of millions on bike lanes?  

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:49 pm

A lot of other homeless should be in shelters or facilities that can support their addictions and mental disorders, which should be the province.  However, moonbeam makes bold proclamations to end homelessness, knowing full well he can't really end homelessness, its just a big show to get votes...Now he's on to the next thing, which is affordability and housing, which again will need the support of the province.  The city is also sitting on a lot of land that is undeveloped and should be used for social housing, why aren't they developing those properties instead of spending 100's of millions on bike lanes?  
The city doesn't spent 100's millions on bike lanes. Get your facts straight.
Ending homelessness is a goal. Not helped by recent events and Christy Clark.
How about some numbers?

2015/16 BC revenues of $47b; $10k per resident. The 2017 budget for CoV is $1.8b in expenditure (operating and capital); just $3k per resident.

Let me suggest that metro Vancouver should take the bulk of the PST and take charge of education, housing and transit. That will get things done.

Let me remind Van Lord that it is Christy Clark that had a drag down fight with the Teachers Federation and LOST.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:05 pm

The city doesn't spent 100's millions on bike lanes. Get your facts straight.
Ending homelessness is a goal. Not helped by recent events and Christy Clark.
How about some numbers?

2015/16 BC revenues of $47b; $10k per resident. The 2017 budget for CoV is $1.8b in expenditure (operating and capital); just $3k per resident.

Let me suggest that metro Vancouver should take the bulk of the PST and take charge of education, housing and transit. That will get things done.

Let me remind Van Lord that it is Christy Clark that had a drag down fight with the Teachers Federation and LOST.
they do so.  LOTS
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3360590

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:10 pm

True, but the city is to blame as well, they have allowed the development at all costs mentality to proceed.  They could also stop a lot of what I would say is homelessness for show, which is really just loitering...all these kids with their dogs who setup camp along Granville, Davie, etc.  These kids just hanging out and getting stoned and collect some money.  The city can clean that up, but enacting some bylaws and enforcing them.
already many city properties are being developed http://vancouver.ca/people-programs/loc ... tails.aspx

yzfr1
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:20 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4043396

" Millennials 2.0: Young families feel the squeeze in Vancouver's housing market"

Shannon Grochowski and her family of five has struggled for years to find a place that fits their constantly changing needs. 
The Grochowski family currently rents an older brick home in Langley that works, but it's been a struggle to get there. 
"I think this is about our fourth home in the past six years just because our family grew," said Grochowski, who gave birth to their newest addition, Margaret, on Mar. 20.

WHY THE FCUK are they having 3 kids when they are renting, they can't afford a larger place but they have more kids??? So its up to the government to create more affordable housing.

sometimes I think people are taking crazy pills.

Freedom of religion, speech and will. You have the security of not being shot / blown up or robbed. Very forward thinking in terms of  racism, sexism and equality.

Canada has all of the things you need to be successful. I don't understand why the population needs to make sure there is affordable housing for the "Grochowski's"

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:21 pm

Boom or ressession Vancouver was always a desirable place.

In 1986 who the hell would have thought Vancouver would be where it is today. Vision... Vancouver housing prices to expensive? I can tell you its a bargain long term. But like any investment you need to look long term, if you can only play checkers when chess is required.
In 2000, Vancouver was a nice place. Affordable housing, scenic, close to the mountains. Perhaps, a quiet provincial city. I liked it.
These days, there's the swarm of rich Asian kids. The traffic jams. The Bentleys and Ferraris. The waitresses desperate for tips. The hordes of homeless. Not everything has been for the better.
I agree.
Vancouver is a fucking rat race now. Full of rude and inconsiderate people. Hate to say it, but most are new citizens. Suck the life out of any community they settle in. Thank god I dont live on the west side.

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:25 pm

homelessness problem is an addiction problem. All the low cost housing in the world wont solve it. Trust me, I'm at ground zero of that issue for the past 20 years.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:35 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4043396

" Millennials 2.0: Young families feel the squeeze in Vancouver's housing market"

Shannon Grochowski and her family of five has struggled for years to find a place that fits their constantly changing needs. 
The Grochowski family currently rents an older brick home in Langley that works, but it's been a struggle to get there. 
"I think this is about our fourth home in the past six years just because our family grew," said Grochowski, who gave birth to their newest addition, Margaret, on Mar. 20.

WHY THE FCUK are they having 3 kids when they are renting, they can't afford a larger place but they have more kids??? So its up to the government to create more affordable housing.

sometimes I think people are taking crazy pills.

Freedom of religion, speech and will. You have the security of not being shot / blown up or robbed. Very forward thinking in terms of  racism, sexism and equality.

Canada has all of the things you need to be successful. I don't understand why the population needs to make sure there is affordable housing for the "Grochowski's"
because they feelentitled to pump out kids non stop and have them be subsidized 

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:36 pm

Boom or ressession Vancouver was always a desirable place.

In 1986 who the hell would have thought Vancouver would be where it is today. Vision... Vancouver housing prices to expensive? I can tell you its a bargain long term. But like any investment you need to look long term, if you can only play checkers when chess is required.
In 2000, Vancouver was a nice place. Affordable housing, scenic, close to the mountains. Perhaps, a quiet provincial city. I liked it.
These days, there's the swarm of rich Asian kids. The traffic jams. The Bentleys and Ferraris. The waitresses desperate for tips. The hordes of homeless. Not everything has been for the better.
I agree.
Vancouver is a fucking rat race now. Full of rude and inconsiderate people. Hate to say it, but most are new citizens. Suck the life out of any community they settle in. Thank god I dont live on the west side.
then live near the drive, or collingwood. lots of eastside community there

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:29 pm

Perhaps, you are a new resident of Canada?
Canada is different from the States. Here, there is a greater sense of collective responsibility. A perceived need for the virtue of equality and equity. Something, I suppose, of small town sensibility. By the way, do you know who Tommy Douglas is? Don't bother to check the internet. You will either know or not.