This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

VanLord
Real Estate Talker

Re: New affordable housing policies for the young

Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:52 am

I think Jim's response to you is a bit douchy as well...welcome to the forum, hopefully you stick around for a bit, I think we need more intelligent people to keep this thing alive
We need strategic solutions, not homilies.  :!:
What are Homilies - don't think the forum is going to come up with the strategic solutions though.
My thoughts are the city is doing this to prepare for the next election as they know they face a lot of opposition on a lot of fronts.  They helped fuel this and now they want to look like they are taking action, which is pretty much BS.  Every move they've made over the past 10 years has helped fuel the problem and now all of a sudden they are the champions to fix it...just like they ended homelessness by 2015, will be the greenest city by 2020, blah blah.  
the Empty homes tax will prove completely useless, and I suspect this next strategy will not resolve things either.

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:17 am

I think Jim's response to you is a bit douchy as well...welcome to the forum, hopefully you stick around for a bit, I think we need more intelligent people to keep this thing alive
What are Homilies - don't think the forum is going to come up with the strategic solutions though.
My thoughts are the city is doing this to prepare for the next election as they know they face a lot of opposition on a lot of fronts.  They helped fuel this and now they want to look like they are taking action, which is pretty much BS.  Every move they've made over the past 10 years has helped fuel the problem and now all of a sudden they are the champions to fix it...just like they ended homelessness by 2015, will be the greenest city by 2020, blah blah.  
the Empty homes tax will prove completely useless, and I suspect this next strategy will not resolve things either.
The vacancy tax is a warning. A strategic solution can work if the province is wholly committed. The reason why affordability and homeless policies fail is due to the inertia in Victoria.
Hopefully, the NDP gets on the ball and either wins or forces Christy Clark to get the message. Or, the province should hand the PST (7%) to the municipalities, and we'll get the job done.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:30 am

increase supply

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:31 am

The vacancy tax is a warning. A strategic solution can work if the province is wholly committed. The reason why affordability and homeless policies fail is due to the inertia in Victoria.
Hopefully, the NDP gets on the ball and either wins or forces Christy Clark to get the message. Or, the province should hand the PST (7%) to the municipalities, and we'll get the job done.
The vacancy tax will just increase costs for everyone including the city. Vacant comes contribute more taxes than they use in city services btw

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:32 am

Its only a problem if you're still renting

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:47 pm

Oh! That's about half the residents of Vancouver. Duh  :roll:

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:49 pm

Vancouver is fine the way it is

yzfr1
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:11 pm

There is a huge difference between Prince George / Alberta and Vancouver. Before the price hike, Vancouver was always appealing to the broad masses. After Expo 86 Li -Ka Shing the richest guy in Asia bought all the land around False creek for next to nothing. Back that he had vision of Vancouver. It was a 20-30 year vision. Now look at what Concord Pacific is doing. He took a million dollar deal and turned in into billions.

I can't say the same for Alberta and Price George, maybe there is potentional long term but not to the general population. Alberta was expensive because of the oil boom. Without the boom its just a ice wasteland.

Boom or ressession Vancouver was always a desirable place.

In 1986 who the hell would have thought Vancouver would be where it is today. Vision... Vancouver housing prices to expensive? I can tell you its a bargain long term. But like any investment you need to look long term, if you can only play checkers when chess is required.

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:25 pm

In 1986 who the hell would have thought Vancouver would be where it is today. Vision... Vancouver housing prices to expensive? I can tell you its a bargain long term. But like any investment you need to look long term, if you can only play checkers when chess is required.
In 2000, Vancouver was a nice place. Affordable housing, scenic, close to the mountains. Perhaps, a quiet provincial city. I liked it.
These days, there's the swarm of rich Asian kids. The traffic jams. The Bentleys and Ferraris. The waitresses desperate for tips. The hordes of homeless. Not everything has been for the better.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:31 pm

There is a huge difference between Prince George / Alberta and Vancouver. Before the price hike, Vancouver was always appealing to the broad masses. After Expo 86 Li -Ka Shing the richest guy in Asia bought all the land around False creek for next to nothing. Back that he had vision of Vancouver. It was a 20-30 year vision. Now look at what Concord Pacific is doing. He took a million dollar deal and turned in into billions.

I can't say the same for Alberta and Price George, maybe there is potentional long term but not to the general population. Alberta was expensive because of the oil boom. Without the boom its just a ice wasteland.

Now, Vancouver is a great place. Desirable enough to live in for 35,000 new people a year, a virbant and noisy place. For the rural life, people can go to Hope or Chillack for some quiet.  We all like it.   Recently, people drool over what others have that they cant. OMG! Someone has a nice car. Who cares (but the people that drive it) lol.  Everything that's something is for the better

to the moon!

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:57 pm

What about the people leaving?

They're not just low income residents. They're social activists, artists, writers, teachers etc.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:59 pm

These days, there's the swarm of rich Asian kids. The traffic jams. The Bentleys and Ferraris. The waitresses desperate for tips. The hordes of homeless. Not everything has been for the better.
http://www.straight.com/news/734491/his ... eal-estate
"History shows racism has always been a part of Vancouver real estate

From Vancouver's founding in the 1850s to the arrival of Hong Kong immigrants in the 1980s and debates around foreign money in 2016, race has never been far from the centre of the city's real-estate industry"

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:01 pm

What about the people leaving?

They're not just low income residents. They're social activists, artists, writers, teachers etc.
most new teachers have to sub for a few years until someone retires. there are plenty of teachers btw

VanLord
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:12 pm

So did you just admit you work for the muni's??  Interesting, brings a new perspective to your dumb ideas and hypocrisy.  Sticking your nose into issues that aren't yours to solve, failing miserably, then blaming Victoria for the problems.  Just hand over your taxes and we'll take care of it, buahhahahahahahahahaha...get real!!!
Small minded thinking is a big part of the problems with the muni's in Metro Van...Why would any region complain about a new bridge that will drastically improve traffic in and out of the city?  This after failing to plan ahead when building the Canada Line, forcing the line to be downsized and drastically restricting the ability for the line to grow.  Speaking of Concord, the city forced them to create a bland, boring neighbourhood with cookie cutter architecture and that famous yaletown green!  Man what a shame!!
God help us if the NDP wins, Christy is as corrupt as they come, but man the alternative will be far worse!  If only another party could get their act together, or if the NDP would learn from their past mistakes and become a centrist party, rather than trying to go further left, as it stands I sure hope the NDP is unelectable, which I think they are.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:17 pm

So did you just admit you work for the muni's??  Interesting, brings a new perspective to your dumb ideas and hypocrisy.  Sticking your nose into issues that aren't yours to solve, failing miserably, then blaming Victoria for the problems.  Just hand over your taxes and we'll take care of it, buahhahahahahahahahaha...get real!!!
Small minded thinking is a big part of the problems with the muni's in Metro Van...Why would any region complain about a new bridge that will drastically improve traffic in and out of the city?  This after failing to plan ahead when building the Canada Line, forcing the line to be downsized and drastically restricting the ability for the line to grow.  Speaking of Concord, the city forced them to create a bland, boring neighbourhood with cookie cutter architecture and that famous yaletown green!  Man what a shame!!
God help us if the NDP wins, Christy is as corrupt as they come, but man the alternative will be far worse!  If only another party could get their act together, or if the NDP would learn from their past mistakes and become a centrist party, rather than trying to go further left, as it stands I sure hope the NDP is unelectable, which I think they are.
The Canada Line isnt anywhere close to capacity. They just need more vehicles. lol