This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

whattodo
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Monthly stats for May

Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:56 am

http://www.rebgv.org/sites/default/file ... 202016.pdf

Holy Shit! is all I can say.

Single family detached up 8% in a month!! That's about $100,000 increase in a month. Some areas has a 10% increase. I keep wondering when & how this will end?

At this rate no Canadian families (without equity already) will be able to buy anything here. Our politicians are allowing foreign money to buy up everything. This looks really bad for the future generation of Canadians (our children). That's my opinion. I imagine some of the bulls see no problem with what's going on.

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Re: Monthly stats for May

Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:51 am

I was shocked when I saw the data - yet some members here keep trying to minimize the problem.

Enough is enough already. I was pleased to see my home appreciate to last years level of about 1.3M - this last year is a different ball game. Not pleased to see my increase to 2M that will effectively shut out all of my peers, friends, co-workers, etc.

whattodo
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:07 am

I agree with you.

Foreign money has been a problem for 15 plus years (maybe even 30) but this is rediculous now. Our government, CRA, BC realtors association have all been useless to prevent whats happening. If fact they encourage it.

Even the suburbs are very unaffordable now. Before people could move farther out & just commute. Now people can't move anywhere unless they leave the province. They would have to leave their jobs, friends, family members just to have somewhere to live. Even rents are getting very high now. All this to allow foreign money to buy up our land. What will Canada look like in another 30 years? A pretty sad future for our kids I think.

westar99
Real Estate Talker

Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:40 pm

I completely agree with the last post.

I think it's too late to stop this Tsunami. However, it's not too late to ensure that the public gets some benefit from this wave of money and to ensure at least some fairness in the process.

However, it's not going to happen because our politicians of all sides of the political spectrum are so out of touch with the voters and taxpayers (and I mean local taxpayers).

Gregor Robertson's shameful piece in the Walrus attributes the high housing in part to "world class foodcarts and craft beer". He suggests that criticism of foreign investors might spark racism or is race motivated.

Christy Clark completely ignores the situation. Again, all she could add is that she is concerned about racism.

Let's fact it. The locals have completely lost the battle thanks to the people we elect.

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:49 pm

That next generation of people we elect will not own detached properties. You suggest waiting?

I completely agree with the last post.

I think it's too late to stop this Tsunami. However, it's not too late to ensure that the public gets some benefit from this wave of money and to ensure at least some fairness in the process.

However, it's not going to happen because our politicians of all sides of the political spectrum are so out of touch with the voters and taxpayers (and I mean local taxpayers).

Gregor Robertson's shameful piece in the Walrus attributes the high housing in part to "world class foodcarts and craft beer". He suggests that criticism of foreign investors might spark racism or is race motivated.

Christy Clark completely ignores the situation. Again, all she could add is that she is concerned about racism.

Let's fact it. The locals have completely lost the battle thanks to the people we elect.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:33 am

the fun part of it all is that people think OMG a foreigner sending in money is a bad thing lol

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:15 am

Most people don't see it that way. Most will see foreign money evicting Canadians from Vancouver on a massive scale

the fun part of it all is that people think OMG a foreigner sending in money is a bad thing lol

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:51 am

i'm waiting till someone says omg!! where are the starbucks staff going to live

DAB
Real Estate Talker

Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:16 am

Bob Rennie was on CKNW last week. He had a young couple buy in Langley for $600k last year. Now comparables in the area is $900k. Even the suburbs are getting expensive. $1 million for langley?

whattodo
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:27 am

That's what I have been saying. Even the suburbs are not affordable.

Kids are expensive. Parents (even with above average paying jobs) with kids have the least amount of money after expenses left over that is available for housing and they need the largest (therefore most expensive) places. These kids are our future and these families can't afford to live here. People with kids need 3 bedroom places. Houses are too expensive now anywhere. Try to find 3 bedroom condos (they are virtually non-existent). All these developers build 1 and 2 bedroom units as they are more profitable. Townhouses are rare too as compared to condos.

I know lots of people are making tons of money of this. This is a short term thinking. Some high school dropout realtors are making more than doctors. And Canadians who buy now have record high debt levels. Every time a foreigner buys a place that is one less place for a Canadian to buy or live in. Remember this! Long term result is we are selling out our country. :evil:

rMBA13
Real Estate Talker

Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:13 pm

Kids are expensive. Parents (even with above average paying jobs) with kids have the least amount of money after expenses left over that is available for housing and they need the largest (therefore most expensive) places. These kids are our future and these families can't afford to live here. People with kids need 3 bedroom places. Houses are too expensive now anywhere. Try to find 3 bedroom condos (they are virtually non-existent). All these developers build 1 and 2 bedroom units as they are more profitable. Townhouses are rare too as compared to condos.

I know lots of people are making tons of money of this. This is a short term thinking. Some high school dropout realtors are making more than doctors. And Canadians who buy now have record high debt levels. Every time a foreigner buys a place that is one less place for a Canadian to buy or live in. Remember this! Long term result is we are selling out our country. :evil:
Fellas... Relax, this is just temporary... Corrections are coming

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:16 pm

Any price discount will be quickly swallowed up by asian buyers. Like when our cdn $ came down last autumn...it just meant more sales to asian buyers. Locals won't benefit from anything but a 50% haircut...and there isnt a hope in hell of anything resembling that.

At this point, most of the locals that could be coaxed to sell have been flushed out the past many years. Hence the continued low inventory for as long as can be imagined.

Fellas... Relax, this is just temporary... Corrections are coming

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:45 pm

lol at the doctors thing - where does it say doctors have to make more than everyone else lol

whattodo
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:00 pm

lol at tdma.

Anyone can sell a house especially in this market. What does it take? A 6 week course that high school dropouts can easily pass.

Just try to get into medical school. You need an A average. A doctor takes 8 to 12 years of university education. Who do you think should make more money? When you have a medical emergency or need surgery why not just call a realtor? Right! I am sure they can help to save people lives!!!

Anyway, you are a troll so you obviously don't understand anyway. You must work in the real estate industry.

yzfr1
Real Estate Talker

Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:48 am

z
Last edited by yzfr1 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.