This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Re: April Sales Remain @ Record Levels Across Metro Vancouve

Thu May 12, 2016 12:32 pm

Geyser = Registered.
probably some poutine

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Thu May 12, 2016 12:48 pm

Geyser = Registered.
probably some poutine
Maybe you're dehydrated. Try drinking a large glass of water and lay down somewhere cool for a while.
In fond memory of Taipan, a model of modesty, decency, dignity and tolerance. Long may we all prosper from the tremendous legacy of worldly wisdom and specialized real estate knowledge which he left in the "Arguments" thread.

jimtan
Real Estate Talker

Thu May 12, 2016 2:01 pm

Don't know why you guys waste time on Geyser. He's an ignorant fool, and will never admit that he lost. :roll:

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Thu May 12, 2016 3:42 pm

Don't know why you guys waste time on Geyser. He's an ignorant fool, and will never admit that he lost. :roll:
Lost what? Please do share your delusions. :D
In fond memory of Taipan, a model of modesty, decency, dignity and tolerance. Long may we all prosper from the tremendous legacy of worldly wisdom and specialized real estate knowledge which he left in the "Arguments" thread.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Thu May 12, 2016 3:59 pm

his dingdong

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Thu May 12, 2016 5:10 pm

Whats even more interesting is all those bubble callers if they focused on the real culprit (foreign money) they might have been able to start a political movement to stop it. However, by saying it was all local money nobody tried to do anything.

Two of the worst actors, IMHO - VHB and Freako.

I tried to tell those ijiots it was immigration, but they kept insisting it was cheap money...emergency rates. All the while that cheap money only fueling immigration rich Vancouver and Toronto

westar99
Real Estate Talker

Fri May 13, 2016 10:37 am

The lack of three bedroom condos/townhomes illustrates just how poor the planning has been in this city.

It seems that Gregor & Co. have designed this city for single 20 something health food eating jocks who bike ride in the rain and living in junior one bedrooms.

Unfortunately, those 20 somethings grow older, have families, kids etc. and can't live in a studio apartment anymore. They are finding there is nothing there for their families to afford.

It's very difficult to live in Vancouver if you are a family who is not an "astronaut family" ( even a high income one).

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Fri May 13, 2016 11:39 am

The lack of three bedroom condos/townhomes illustrates just how poor the planning has been in this city.

It seems that Gregor & Co. have designed this city for single 20 something health food eating jocks who bike ride in the rain and living in junior one bedrooms.

Unfortunately, those 20 somethings grow older, have families, kids etc. and can't live in a studio apartment anymore. They are finding there is nothing there for their families to afford.

It's very difficult to live in Vancouver if you are a family who is not an "astronaut family" ( even a high income one).
+1

You nailed it! The current lack of affordability is like a cancer on our society. If it remains unaddressed the consequences for this city will be dire. Also, the consequences of a return to historically normal mortgage interest rates could be truly devastating. Keep in mind that the government may be able to exert some control over bank interest rates but they can't control bond interest rates, and it's the bond market which provides the money for mortgages. :shock:

Anybody who had a mortgage up for renewal in the early eighties will remember how helpless the government was when mortgage rates spiked to over 20%. A lot of people were forced to sell at fire sale prices, they lost their homes and still owed the bank a lot of money because the house sold for less than the remaining mortgage debt. Not happy times.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Fri May 13, 2016 4:45 pm

Whats even more interesting is all those bubble callers if they focused on the real culprit (foreign money) they might have been able to start a political movement to stop it. However, by saying it was all local money nobody tried to do anything.

Two of the worst actors, IMHO - VHB and Freako.

I tried to tell those ijiots it was immigration, but they kept insisting it was cheap money...emergency rates. All the while that cheap money only fueling immigration rich Vancouver and Toronto
Most cities of Metro Vancouver have suitable planning and plenty of units. People just have to temper their entitlement at a Giant(tm) Condo for just a kid. Also, the most important part is there isn't a firearm pointed at them making them stay if they dont like it. I couldn't care less if someone wants to leave as that leaves more space for people that remain. Its easy as a piece of cake to live in Vancouver, especially with a family. Singles don't get assistance with their rent, but families do unless they have a high income.

jimtan
Real Estate Talker

Mon May 16, 2016 7:41 am

When condo selll for 30% above assessment, smells to me like panic! :mrgreen:

Won't end well for the new buyers. :roll:

yzfr1
Real Estate Talker

Mon May 16, 2016 9:56 am

A wildcard that no one really talks about, 2nd generation Asians. Chinese family structure in particular. No matter what happens to the market I have the bank of Dad and Mom to borrow from. If you ever go to Brentwood or Metrotown you may have noticed a very very high Asian population. More then likely they will be in the same boat as me.

Where I'm worried about is place like Maple Ridge or some parts of Langley.

jesse1
Real Estate Talker

Mon May 16, 2016 5:28 pm

A wildcard that no one really talks about, 2nd generation Asians. Chinese family structure in particular. No matter what happens to the market I have the bank of Dad and Mom to borrow from.
I doubt Asian has much to do with it, the myth that Asian parents help their kids out more than other cultures is one I see as not being borne out by evidence. Boomers have money and nothing to spend it on but the guilt of their children's happiness.
There is no shame in overpaying

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Tue May 17, 2016 7:06 am

A wildcard that no one really talks about, 2nd generation Asians. Chinese family structure in particular. No matter what happens to the market I have the bank of Dad and Mom to borrow from. If you ever go to Brentwood or Metrotown you may have noticed a very very high Asian population. More then likely they will be in the same boat as me.

Where I'm worried about is place like Maple Ridge or some parts of Langley.
Yes especially that. Unnamed Asians in the Fraser Valley are famous for growing blueberries and putting several generations in one home, and that their parents have everything to do with it.

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Tue May 17, 2016 8:34 am

A wildcard that no one really talks about, 2nd generation Asians. Chinese family structure in particular. No matter what happens to the market I have the bank of Dad and Mom to borrow from.
I doubt Asian has much to do with it, the myth that Asian parents help their kids out more than other cultures is one I see as not being borne out by evidence. Boomers have money and nothing to spend it on but the guilt of their children's happiness.
You got a lot to learn about asian vs caucasian culture. If every culture helps their young equally, why are young caucasian leaving in droves and young asian never leaving? Hint...multi-generational residence.

barrievattoy
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Tue May 17, 2016 11:58 am

Is that a good thing?