This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

chuck2005
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

private appraisal vs realtor appraisal

Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:15 pm

My tenant wants to buy my house for appraised value. In your experience, how off are private appraisals vs realtor?

westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Re: private appraisal vs realtor appraisal

Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:18 pm

who cares about appraised value. what is the market value? In this market the two may not be close...

chuck2005
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:21 pm

I'm on the island.
Last edited by chuck2005 on Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:23 pm

Ok... but if you're serious about selling the house, in this market, why would you limit yourself to a single seller and only used an appraisers valuation? Why not just put it on the market and see what you get?

thinktom
Real Estate Talker

Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:57 pm

Chuck. Have you lost your mind?? Why on earth would you give up multple offers on your property? To save $15K?? It makes no sense whatsoever. List your house on MLS, have it properly marketed, and sell it for HUGE dollars. And no I am not soliciting the property. But ANYONE who sells privately in this INSANE market is crazy.

The commission, in this market, is completely irrelevant and, depending on the area, NOBODY can give you a 100% appraisel. You might love your tenant..... but do you love him THAT much? ;)

chuck2005
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:09 pm

I'm not in Vancouver, people. What's a multiple offer? Seriously - apples and oranges.

westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:57 pm

OK, so forget multiple offers and the crazy Vancouver market, you're right, Comox is probably different. However, that doesn't change the power of putting your home on the market, and making it available to the largest number of potential buyers that you possibly can. Why would you want to limit your addressable market to a single buyer, and use a 3rd party to set the price? No matter what you're selling, or what market you're selling it in, that just makes no sense.

Is there something special about this potential buyer? Family, friend? Is there a specific reason you don't want to put the house on the open market?

InvestorRelations
Real Estate Talker

Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:32 am

Compare the publicly available assessed prices in your area to recent sale prices. Simple.

http://evaluebc.bcassessment.ca/

reallyreal
Real Estate Talker

Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:38 am

Geez - who would hire someone like tom as a realtor. can't even be bothered to read the simplest detail about the guy's situation. Too busy hearing what he wants to hear rather than listening to the needs of his potential client.

typical though

thinktom
Real Estate Talker

Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:04 pm

Geez - who would hire someone like tom as a realtor. can't even be bothered to read the simplest detail about the guy's situation. Too busy hearing what he wants to hear rather than listening to the needs of his potential client.

typical though
Grow up. I answered from Taipei (!) and a Chinese keyboard and was merely trying to help, which I would hope would be blatantly obvious. Can we not move on from these idiotic, 1997-type personal attacks? This is typical, unnecessary, and childish bashing. I actually give a crap about 'Chuck' and want him to get massive dollars for his investment. I've been on these boards for years now and my posts are consistantly always trying to help (except, of course, when you add your .00002 cents worth).

Take your immature, useless personal remarks elsewhere. It's boring, pointless and tripe. There have been many, far more interesting haters before you. Sadly, I logged on in Taipei and had to read your crap before I signed in as you have been blocked for ages.

Let's move on to real estate, shall we? :wink:
Last edited by thinktom on Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thinktom
Real Estate Talker

Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:21 pm

I'm in Comox.
Roger that. Appraisers are not the ones who have to sell the property. Realtors have a pulse on the current market more closely. Just make sure your tenant is paying absolute TOP dollar.

reallyreal
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:21 pm

typical though
Grow up. I answered from Taipei (!) and a Chinese keyboard and was merely trying to help, which I would hope would be blatantly obvious. Can we not move on from these idiotic, 1997-type personal attacks? This is typical, unnecessary, and childish bashing. I actually give a crap about 'Chuck' and want him to get massive dollars for his investment. I've been on these boards for years now and my posts are consistantly always trying to help (except, of course, when you add your .00002 cents worth).

Take your immature, useless personal remarks elsewhere. It's boring, pointless and tripe. There have been many, far more interesting haters before you. Sadly, I logged on in Taipei and had to read your crap before I signed in as you have been blocked for ages.

I was talking about real estate and things to look for when hiring a realtor. If I needed to sell my house and you couldn't grasp a basic detail like that, I would never hire you.

You should be thanking me as this is a reminder that the simplest oversight by you could lose a potential commission.

You're welcome in advance.

thinktom
Real Estate Talker

Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:51 am

typical though

I was talking about real estate and things to look for when hiring a realtor. If I needed to sell my house and you couldn't grasp a basic detail like that, I would never hire you.

You should be thanking me as this is a reminder that the simplest oversight by you could lose a potential commission.

You're welcome in advance.
lol. Nice try. Like I said, grow up.

http://www.aroundtheworldin80anthems.com/globalmedia/

Feel free to check out the link. You'll love our coverage so far! Please donate to SOS Villages, RR, you'll feel better about yourself. I'm in Manila, Philippines now. :wink:

silverman
Real Estate Talker

Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:36 pm

My tenant wants to buy my house for appraised value. In your experience, how off are private appraisals vs realtor?
Get 3 CMAs (Comparative Market Analysis) done by 3 realtors and the average is most likely the market value. Sell it for that.

Dragonslayer
Real Estate Talker

Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:52 am

Get 3 CMAs (Comparative Market Analysis) done by 3 realtors and the average is most likely the market value. Sell it for that.
Make sure that you check your Citys OCP. Realtors can tell you the current market value...That doesnt always price in latent value though