This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

reallyreal
Real Estate Talker

Re: Thoughts From My 1st Visit to China (Fuzhou)

Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:21 pm

taxes they are or aren't paying. :lol:
More tax is paid on a house and Ferrari than your entire working life. Sorry relly you are running out of red herring straw man arguments.

Sensationalism at its best

You would make a great propaganda headline writer

What you are whining about is a non existent problem...sorry
This from the racist claiming white people simply get drunk, or are loud, or riot, or do drugs.

Want to see a racist - look in the mirror.

Do your poor children know you are a racist?

thompson2
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:43 pm

When times were low you should buy. I'm no brain scientist even I knew the collapse meant opportunities in 2003 and 2009.
Man, you are teaching pig to sing. 2009? They were all busy to attacked eyes and forgot to buy a sfh for themselves, now they wish market crash back to .... 2009. :P

Demonizer
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:01 am

This from the racist claiming white people simply get drunk, or are loud, or riot, or do drugs.

Want to see a racist - look in the mirror.

Do your poor children know you are a racist?
it's caucasian people not "white" people. white is a fabricated role as we know you aint white, you are mostly a shade or orange/pink

besides, i'm just reflection of what i see, if there wasn't any problem i wouldn't say there was.

if people didn't act like idiots i wouldn't say they were

yzfr1
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:32 am

Perhaps we can stay objective, leave out the less constructive comments in regards to "white trash" ect ect.

I want to supplement the idea about complacency. When I first started to work with the advice of my parents I bought a place. With their help I managed to squeeze by every month, it was tough at first but I feel looking back it was worth it.

However now I have a few friends (same age as me) trying to enter the market now. These are the friends who did not focus on saving and "enjoying life" was more of a priority.

There are still areas in lower mainland that is affordable. Maple ridge, Langley. Everyone has to start out somewhere. But the "entitlement" allows people to believe they can jump into the prime areas right off the bat.

You can either complain about things you have no control over, blame everything around you. OR do something about it. Work around the circumstances and make something happen.

Demonizer
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:45 am

good for you yzfr1

i was pretty poor financially growing up. i have first hand knowledge of the shady elements of many friends and acquaintances in Canada so i do have experience with that. Not all of them but many were. It is not uncommon the rebellious nature of youth at the time (of all time actually)

for some reason because i was poor and left home early around after high school/college i had to work to survive and had to rent and had roommates.

i realized at the time how difficult it could be and knew that home ownership although costly was worth it for the security and investment. I was paying rent anyways, like a lot of people figure out for themselves. And i like to be in control. I'm not a control freak but i do have tendencies. I think most people do. But i do take it a step further, i like to control designs, control my environment.

Because i was used to not having a lot of money anyways, i put most of the income towards a dumpy old house in the Bolivar area of Whalley that was pretty much what i could afford at the time around $200k. The house was built in the 50's i think. so it was typical box shape design of the times. Not only that it was cold due to being on a north facing slope, not the greatest location when i look back. It was bit shady and dark from trees too. it was a typical crappy area with criminals around and other mental health people and druggies. I wish i knew that before but i was drawn to the size, privacy, quiet location with a bit of mountain view.

it was pretty big 1200 sq/ft with 1200 sq/ft basement so 2400 sq/ft total

this was quite ok in size and the land was pretty big 10,000 sq/ft but i had to endure squirrels got in the attic, it was cold and i don't even think it was insulated, windows were single pane, some rats even got in once during the windstorm that knocked down stanley park. There was development of bush lands nearby at the time so i guess the rats got spooked and displaced and found their way inside the house but i got rid of them but that's not all. Crackheads broke into the house several times, i was robbed of they typical stuff, dvds, electronics.

anyways, the house was all i could really afford back in 2003 ( i knew i didn't want a condo because of course house/land is better) and i was only about 26 years old but i did do some things to make it more livable like paint, flooring, fixed up the kitchen and bathroom a bit with a small budget.

I endured that house for 5-6 years and due to my Autocad background i was always interested in drawing floor plans and such so i was able to secure a building lot in Cloverdale in 2008 to build on using the equity of the dumpy old house.

I barely got financing for that too but was able to get through by the skin of my teeth.

now the new 3 floor 4300 sq/ft house with 8 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms i built on the smaller lot in a better neighborhood is worth almost 1 million that i built for just over $500k

things can always start out rough but if you can endure you can make it. it's hard for people to endure the first part i think.

and i have to say, that now it is much more difficult. I probably couldn't do what i did back then now.

Demonizer
Real Estate Talker

Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:08 pm

On another note, I saw some lots In California near the beach.

Thought about building a beach house in the warm climate and spectacular views but I'm not sure

rofina
Real Estate Talker

Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:51 am

and i have to say, that now it is much more difficult. I probably couldn't do what i did back then now.
That is the crux of it.

Everyone here chooses to think those that are rising alarm bells are lazy, undeserving, entitled white assholes.

That couldn't be further from the truth.

Business owners all across YVR are as vocal as anyone in how damaging the current trends are. Its not motivational that you can be a successful entrepreneur but barely be able to afford a 1 bedroom apartment, let alone anything more luxurious.

And as always the discussion boils down to name calling, racism, and bigotry.

The issue in this city is political and NIMBY based. SFH are a distraction, foreign ownership is a distraction, whats not a distraction is the lack of housing options.

Developers are for profit entities- they will continue to build the easiest to sell, highest margin units, i.e.: high rise condos. Meanwhile this does nothing to ease our housing crisis.

The polarization thats happening in Vancouver is sad - it will be a net negative for all of us, property owners, business owners, etc. You think Stanley Cup riots were bad? Let this boil for a few more years and throw a spark on it - will see how the city feels then.

jesse1
Real Estate Talker

Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:49 pm

Condos are the most "profitable" sounds like a dome scratcher to me. If land is zoned highrises land costs will adjust. Landowners, or developers looking to rezone, will profit, not necessarily the builders.

Or, if zoning were townhouses and not highrises, builders will still make ends meet.
There is no shame in overpaying

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:41 am

rofina
Real Estate Talker

Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:45 pm

Condos are the most "profitable" sounds like a dome scratcher to me. If land is zoned highrises land costs will adjust. Landowners, or developers looking to rezone, will profit, not necessarily the builders.

Or, if zoning were townhouses and not highrises, builders will still make ends meet.

10% profit on 100million is more than 10% on 10million.

Concord wont be building townhouses in Vancouver.

yzfr1
Real Estate Talker

Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:01 pm

Why is building more high rise condo not going to solve the housing crisis? People just need to adjust their expectations from SFH to a condo, living in Vancouver to the suburbs

westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:29 am

Why is building more high rise condo not going to solve the housing crisis? People just need to adjust their expectations from SFH to a condo, living in Vancouver to the suburbs
They have been building high rise condo's at a breakneck pace for the last decade... if building them should solve the housing crisis, then why isn't it solved already?

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:31 am

more condos will finish this nonsense when there is finally enough

lol
http://www.cknw.com/2016/03/14/b-c-s-ho ... f=facebook

yzfr1
Real Estate Talker

Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:29 am

Around Joyce sky train they are building smaller more affordable units instead of the higher end condos. Hopefully more developers and tap into the lower end market as well.

Realestate moves in cycles, hopefully there is a correction soon and can shake off some of the speculators and prices can dip enough for buyer who are waiting to jump in.

I'm not a expert. But the "market" will figure it self out. Traveling to Asia (EG Hong Kong) I'm surprised that works. A family of 5 in a small 500 SQft aprtment

If Vancouver continues on this trend of sky high prices, I think people's expectations will adjust accordingly OR continue to wait

westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:13 pm

If Vancouver continues on this trend of sky high prices, I think people's expectations will adjust accordingly OR continue to wait
OR they will leave. They've apparently already started: http://business.financialpost.com/perso ... ch-economy