This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

Demonizer
Real Estate Talker

Re: Should the government intervene?

Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:02 pm

Yes - owning a home is a privilege.  Why is it reserved for those who have money?  Many that are driving up home prices are not buying a home but rather a parking spot for their money.  If they are not contributing to the local community, tax them.

Those who are gaming the system for their benefit are now crying because the system gamed them.  Hypocrisy at its finest.
that's where people with your opinion are wrong.
 The property tax paid on these homes ANNUALLY is more than all taxes most people pay in all forms for the entire year (income and sales tax). There are way too many entitled whiners out there.
The foreign purchaser tax is better.  Now they can pay property taxes, transfer tax and foreign purchaser tax.  Next is CRA coming after their worldwide income and insisting on those taxes - this is great!  If they don't like it, they can buy elsewhere .... Don't let the proverbial door hit you on the way out
you should be happy anyone wants to spend their riches here. most countries would kill for that. we are the envy of the world.
money made outside of canada never existed here in the first place. it was not made here.
foreign money is new money. foreign money makes canada great. the culture makes our city international and interesting.
bottom line is government knows that they gave up on complacent locals for decades.
time for a spark and that is the industrious creative foreigners. spending money, valuing property ownership, family and education
canada has an abundance of land. our leader know that. they are capitalizing and not shy about it. land property ownership is one of our most important industries if not the most important

whattodo
Real Estate Talker

Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:48 pm

You are wrong here. If prices were not crazy high then a local could buy this house instead of the foreigner. And guess what ... property taxes would still be paid on this house. And the local owner with his property taxes AND incomes taxes, and GST, and PST would pay more the the foreigner would pay in tax as the foreigner would only pay property tax.

A 10 million dollar house in Shaugnessy charges about $40,000 a year in property tax. Only a high income local could buy this even when houses prices were lower. How much do you think a local doctor who makes $300,000 pays in total taxes a year? alot more than $40,000! And local doctors can't afford to buy these places anymore. 

On a more realistic example. On a 2 million dollar house (That locals can't afford to buy) property tax paid by a foreigner is $7,000. An average family income is $100,000. Total income taxes, GST, PST paid by a local would be about $30,000.
entitled whiners again thinking their pompous arrogant elitist ways are somehow better than someone elses.
don't give a shit if you are a doctor or a nurse or teacher.
that don't mean shit. it's like a farmer saying his crop and field is worth the same as the next farmer. all farmers have different levels of success.
there are plenty of professionals that missed the boat. there are plenty of them that didnt.
your profession doesn't matter. your risk taking and opportunity seizing matters.
we can be jealous of realtors who made a killing but in the end you probably just wish you were them. that's the whiny entitlement.
i am sorry but i'll repeat, it's like getting mad you missed out on google, microsoft or any other stock like apple that other seized that opportunity.
don't get mad your neighbor drives a ferrari and you don't

dont get mad that a wolf ate a hen

We have a shortage of doctors here. When you need a doctor and none is available maybe then you will give a shit. Or you would rather have a foreign money launderer perform surgery on you?
Schools are closing in Vancouver & are overcrowded in Surrey. The parents of the students care that teachers can't afford homes.
As for missing the boat ... yes some people did. But, what about CANADIAN kids who are in high school right now? They have no chance to own anything, ever. Not that you care.
If you exclude single family home (since locals can't afford them) then you are left with condos & townhouses. Only 5% of these units are 3 bedrooms and those units are expensive to buy and rent for average family income. So, how are Canadians (who work here) with with kids supposed to live here?

If you don't see a problem then I guess you just don't understand the situation!

reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker

Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:01 pm

Demonizer - you are the biggest whiner here. Seriously, pass along your address and I'll send you a soother so we can all be spared your whining. Nobody is stopping anybody from buying real estate - we are just monetizing the foreigner who sucks the system dry and contributes nothing - make em pay to play.

This is awesome - the best part is hearing you whinr and cry. Yep, the locals are lazy, always have been. But guess what, it's our city, province and country. Foreigners better get used to that concept or buy elsewhere.... Don't let the door....

CPA

Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:58 am

Demonizer, 
Reallyreal2 is a troll and a crybaby.  Don't expect an intelligent discussion.  Don't feed the troll.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:40 am

The property tax paid on these homes ANNUALLY is more than all taxes most people pay in all forms for the entire year (income and sales tax). There are way too many entitled whiners out there.
The foreign purchaser tax is better.  Now they can pay property taxes, transfer tax and foreign purchaser tax.  Next is CRA coming after their worldwide income and insisting on those taxes - this is great!  If they don't like it, they can buy elsewhere .... Don't let the proverbial door hit you on the way out
you should be happy anyone wants to spend their riches here. most countries would kill for that. we are the envy of the world.
money made outside of canada never existed here in the first place. it was not made here.
foreign money is new money. foreign money makes canada great. the culture makes our city international and interesting.
bottom line is government knows that they gave up on complacent locals for decades.
time for a spark and that is the industrious creative foreigners. spending money, valuing property ownership, family and education
canada has an abundance of land. our leader know that. they are capitalizing and not shy about it. land property ownership is one of our most important industries if not the most important
For sure.  In other circles there is a lot of envy and complaining that other people have things better than them.  Many people dont realize that the higher the prices go, the less taxes other people have to pay.  It isnt appropriate to discriminate on the basis of a passport

yzfr1
Real Estate Talker

Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:37 am

I understand everyone's frustration at the housing market, if I were on the other side I would have some frustration as well. Indeed it sucks that most locals cant afford the "American dream" ect, ect, ect. There is the world how we envision it and there is the world that is.

After the great depression after world war 1, one political party in Europe started to blame the bad economy on a certain ethnic group, they claimed they owned all the banks and corrupted everything. That turned into the third Reich and Hitler presented the "final solution" to get rid of all the Jews. Its scary how people don't learn from the past about discrimination and blaming other people (ex all Muslims for terrorism) for all of the problems. Anti Chinese sentiment is similar to antisemitism

I don't have all the answers and solutions, all I know is that we are not all innocent bystanders getting raped by foreign money. This is the direct result of globalization, the magic genie has been let out and cant be put back in. Everyone wants cheap iphones, electronics and clothing. ALL of this crap comes from China, who buys all our lumber, gas, and potash??? If it wasn't for China buying all our natural resources Canada would be a lump of coal.

I make the argument that China has gotten the worst part of the deal, millions upon millions of farmers have been displaced and now need to work in factories to make iphones for you. A product that they could never afford. How is it fair that they lose their land, work for dirty pay and cant even afford the very products they make for some scum bag in Canada???? what are there thoughts on that.

To say that some Chinese people came over with dirty money and now I cant afford to live in the West side or own a detached home as my first purchase is STUPID. You cant take the good but not leave the bad. Its cause and effect, if you don't want dirty Chinese money stop feeding into consumerism that fuels their economy

Demonizer
Real Estate Talker

Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:41 pm

We import poison manufacturing and pollution to China.

They send back billions of dollars, electronics and cute girls.

Sound like a good deal

reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker

Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:01 am

I understand everyone's frustration at the housing market, if I were on the other side I would have some frustration as well. Indeed it sucks that most locals cant afford the "American dream" ect, ect, ect. There is the world how we envision it and there is the world that is.

After the great depression after world war 1, one political party in Europe started to blame the bad economy on a certain ethnic group, they claimed they owned all the banks and corrupted everything. That turned into the third Reich and Hitler presented the "final solution" to get rid of all the Jews. Its scary how people don't learn from the past about discrimination and blaming other people (ex all Muslims for terrorism) for all of the problems. Anti Chinese sentiment is similar to antisemitism

I don't have all the answers and solutions, all I know is that we are not all innocent bystanders getting raped by foreign money. This is the direct result of globalization, the magic genie has been let out and cant be put back in. Everyone wants cheap iphones, electronics and clothing. ALL of this crap comes from China, who buys all our lumber, gas, and potash??? If it wasn't for China buying all our natural resources Canada would be a lump of coal.

I make the argument that China has gotten the worst part of the deal, millions upon millions of farmers have been displaced and now need to work in factories to make iphones for you. A product that they could never afford. How is it fair that they lose their land, work for dirty pay and cant even afford the very products they make for some scum bag in Canada???? what are there thoughts on that.

To say that some Chinese people came over with dirty money and now I cant afford to live in the West side or own a detached home as my first purchase is STUPID. You cant take the good but not leave the bad. Its cause and effect, if you don't want dirty Chinese money stop feeding into consumerism that fuels their economy
Comparing this situation to holocaust is about as stupid as it gets.

Nobody is blaming Chinese - it is not specific against any ethnicity. People think it's racism when it has zero to do with race. It has to do with locals being sold out.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:22 am

Exactly.  Thats a home depot securing device right on the head and clever.  Everyone and his or her pets are assigning fault to the Asians/Chinese. It is razor sharp and detailed to that group. Nobody is entitled to a cheap house.

reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker

Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:27 pm

Demonizer, 
Reallyreal2 is a troll and a crybaby.  Don't expect an intelligent discussion.  Don't feed the troll.
I know eh - the guy cries and whines all day long. Who can expect an intelligent conversation with a baby.

Demonizer and his ilk have done nothing but cry about a completely fair and useful tax. If they are so smart, they should run for premier - LOL

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:07 pm

That's for sure.  If complaining was an olympic sport could win gold in Rio.   The 15% fee for foreigners is useless

Demonizer
Real Estate Talker

Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:10 pm

Demonizer, 
I know eh - the guy cries and whines all day long. Who can expect an intelligent conversation with a baby.

Demonizer and his ilk have done nothing but cry about a completely fair and useful tax. If they are so smart, they should run for premier - LOL
LOL

If you read it again and comprehend it correctly this time. he's talking about you. LOLOL

Demonizer
Real Estate Talker

Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:12 pm

That's for sure.  If complaining was an olympic sport could win gold in Rio.   The 15% fee for foreigners is useless
Chinese head tax 2016. Didn't work the first time then, won't work now.

Discriminatory then. Discriminatory now

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:15 pm

Chinese head tax 2016. Didn't work the first time then, won't work now.

Discriminatory then. Discriminatory now
Give it 5 minutes until someone says its not about ethnicity/race in 5..4...3...2.  (lol)

Demonizer
Real Estate Talker

Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:16 pm

entitled whiners again thinking their pompous arrogant elitist ways are somehow better than someone elses.
don't give a shit if you are a doctor or a nurse or teacher.
that don't mean shit. it's like a farmer saying his crop and field is worth the same as the next farmer. all farmers have different levels of success.
there are plenty of professionals that missed the boat. there are plenty of them that didnt.
your profession doesn't matter. your risk taking and opportunity seizing matters.
we can be jealous of realtors who made a killing but in the end you probably just wish you were them. that's the whiny entitlement.
i am sorry but i'll repeat, it's like getting mad you missed out on google, microsoft or any other stock like apple that other seized that opportunity.
don't get mad your neighbor drives a ferrari and you don't

dont get mad that a wolf ate a hen

We have a shortage of doctors here. When you need a doctor and none is available maybe then you will give a shit. Or you would rather have a foreign money launderer perform surgery on you?
Schools are closing in Vancouver & are overcrowded in Surrey. The parents of the students care that teachers can't afford homes.
As for missing the boat ... yes some people did. But, what about CANADIAN kids who are in high school right now? They have no chance to own anything, ever. Not that you care.
If you exclude single family home (since locals can't afford them) then you are left with condos & townhouses. Only 5% of these units are 3 bedrooms and those units are expensive to buy and rent for average family income. So, how are Canadians (who work here) with with kids supposed to live here?

If you don't see a problem then I guess you just don't understand the situation!

So a doctor can't live in langley or alder Grove or fort langley or Abbotsford?

Are they handicapped?

Can they not work near their residence?