This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

Barrie
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Competition keeps home sellers in the Driver Seat

Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:39 am

Please Visit:

http://www2.topproducerwebsite.com/user ... -Media.pdf

Here you will find Greater Van Stats for Jan./16
Regards
Barrie Vattoy
www.relocationbc.com

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Re: Competition keeps home sellers in the Driver Seat

Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:47 am

to the moon !

reallyreal
Real Estate Talker

Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:49 am

I don't have a dog in this race and frankly don't care where the market goes - but if you look at that last chart and tell me with a straight face that there isn't anything wrong with it, then you are dim.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:51 am

the higher the better. there's no proverbial firearm pointed at you if you dont like it you can move to a discount city.

reallyreal
Real Estate Talker

Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:35 am

Are you dense?

Don't answer that - I already know the answer.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:40 am

There's always the us on a tn1 visa if you prefer
Cheap houses lol

reallyreal
Real Estate Talker

Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:11 pm

No need - have my house here in Vancouver.

LOL

vanreal
Real Estate Talker

Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:40 am

LOL
Then you do have a dog in the race???

reallyreal
Real Estate Talker

Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:56 pm

Nope - whether prices go up or down, doesnt matter to me that much because even if I sell, I still need a place to live meaning I make a lateral move (actually less because the govt and realtor each take their slice).

I would prefer prices were in line with historical norms because its healthier. But what do I care if my house is worth 740 or 1.5? The house I want to buy to replace it most likely moved in lockstep.

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:33 pm

Nope - whether prices go up or down, doesnt matter to me that much because even if I sell, I still need a place to live meaning I make a lateral move (actually less because the govt and realtor each take their slice).

I would prefer prices were in line with historical norms because its healthier. But what do I care if my house is worth 740 or 1.5? The house I want to buy to replace it most likely moved in lockstep.
Exactly right! That's how every fair minded owner of a single home should think.

Thanks to the local market, I have done quite nicely over the decades and have already taken a chunk off the table, but the current bloated situation is very unhealthy. I hate to see the inevitable social divisions which are already starting to form. All the envy, anger, frustration and finger pointing when young people cannot afford to live in the city where they grew up.

The crazy low interest rates and so called "paper profit" are almost certainly a time-limited illusion which can tempt naive people to overextend themselves with HELOCs and/or by buying homes which (when reality returns) they may not be able to afford and may be forced to panic sell into a collapsing market.

It won't have much direct effect on me if mortgage interest rates triple and Vancouver prices drop by between 40% and 50% again (like they did over a period of just a few months in 1982). The speculators can get burned and I won't lose any sleep but I do feel for the youngsters who have never experienced a full market cycle. When things return to their historical long term averages the pain will be widespread and intense, and that's not good for anybody. :|
In fond memory of Taipan, a model of modesty, decency, dignity and tolerance. Long may we all prosper from the tremendous legacy of worldly wisdom and specialized real estate knowledge which he left in the "Arguments" thread.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:58 am

LOL
the more modern way is that people are insanely envious of how others are making out

thompson2
Real Estate Talker

Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:01 pm

LOL
He has no dog, that's mother-in-law's.

thompson2
Real Estate Talker

Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:17 pm

I hate to see the inevitable social divisions which are already starting to form. All the envy, anger, frustration and finger pointing when young people cannot afford to live in the city where they grew up.
Right, make money in stock market is hero, but not in real estate, it's sin.
The crazy low interest rates and so called "paper profit" are almost certainly a time-limited illusion which can tempt naive people to overextend themselves with HELOCs and/or by buying homes which (when reality returns) they may not be able to afford and may be forced to panic sell into a collapsing market.
so be it, let market do the job and adults take the responsibility.
When things return to their historical long term averages the pain will be widespread and intense, and that's not good for anybody.
I thought that's will be good for youths and bears who were f### by market for years, no? :lol:

thompson2
Real Estate Talker

Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:36 pm

By the way, what is "historic long term averages" for Vancouver? You have my ears.

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:31 pm

I hate to see the inevitable social divisions which are already starting to form. All the envy, anger, frustration and finger pointing when young people cannot afford to live in the city where they grew up.
Right, make money in stock market is hero, but not in real estate, it's sin.

i didn't think that the Wall Street guys who caused global economic collapse were heroes, but maybe I'm too left leaning. Besides, stocks and housing are diffent, housing is an absolute necessity but buying stocks is not. Doubtless you support that noble capitalist Martin Shkreli who recently bought a drug company and increased the price of his life saving drug from $14 to $750 per pill, thus condemning many AIDS patients to a lingering death.
so be it, let market do the job and adults take the responsibility.

regardless of the human cost? And please remember that without the artificially low interest rates we would not have this situation. What we see now is not a free market, it is a rigged market.
When things return to their historical long term averages the pain will be widespread and intense, and that's not good for anybody.
I thought that's will be good for youths and bears who were f### by market for years, no? :lol:
It won't be good for anybody if a real estate collapse causes a more widespread economic collapse, and that is appearing more and more likely.
In fond memory of Taipan, a model of modesty, decency, dignity and tolerance. Long may we all prosper from the tremendous legacy of worldly wisdom and specialized real estate knowledge which he left in the "Arguments" thread.