This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

Austin
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Vancouver RE has dropped >10% since 2013

Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:51 pm

... in USD.

Just saying. Hope you're all enjoying re-arranging deck chairs on the titanic.
Redistribute consumption, not income.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Re: Vancouver RE has dropped >10% since 2013

Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:52 am

canadian dollar makes things cheaper for external buyers paying in USD

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:15 am

Then why do I feel rich
? I'm confused.
I think I'll go back to renting, 'cause I had it so good then lol

HomelessinSD
Real Estate Talker

Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:26 pm

Then why do I feel rich
? I'm confused.
You feel rich? Do you live rich?

Imagine if you sold 2 years ago, invested in San Francisco, you would have realized a 30% appreciation in value and a 40% increase in currency exchange. With the crazy rents in San Francisco, you could rent that home in SF and concurrently rent a much better home than you live in now in a better area of vancouver and still be ahead on a month by month basis and be way, way ahead on paper profits.

You've been extremely lucky with your local purchase, no doubt. But think take a minute to think about your responses to posts like this.

jesse1
Real Estate Talker

Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:03 am

Agreed, not investing in US Liberal city enclaves a year or two ago was a bad decision in retrospect. Even Seattle is up way more than Vancouver.

But I digress. This is a BC RE forum lol
There is no shame in overpaying

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:48 am

You'd pay a lot more property taxes in the US and even if you live in it the tax exemption when you sell is rather small

thompson2
Real Estate Talker

Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:51 am

Then why do I feel rich
? I'm confused.

Imagine if you sold 2 years ago, invested in San Francisco, you would have realized a 30% appreciation in value and a 40% increase in currency exchange. With the crazy rents in San Francisco, you could rent that home in SF and concurrently rent a much better home than you live in now in a better area of vancouver and still be ahead on a month by month basis and be way, way ahead on paper profits.

You've been extremely lucky with your local purchase, no doubt. But think take a minute to think about your responses to posts like this.
eh? Hard to following your logic here, if you have admitted eye's purchase were "extremely lucky", then you should realize his responses is adequate to posts, no? :lol:
I wish I had a crystal ball last year that I can sell all my real estate even before the price march highe and put all I have in Amazon...yes that's also US dollar. :P

HomelessinSD
Real Estate Talker

Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:54 pm

Actually, I don't follow your logic: if ETB was extremely lucky, what corlation does that have to making his / her responses adequate?

But I'll humour you and try to explain why I posted.

I thought the original post was a bit silly: comparing prices in one currency based on how another currency performs. But then the "I feel rich" comment actually gave the comparison some relevancy.

Feeling "rich" is relative. Feeling rich in NYC might be the same (in some respects) to feeling rich in some improvished 3rd world country. The relativity is how rich you are compared to everyone else in your area. By "rich", I'm referring to monetary only. Does ETB live a lavish lifestyle to warrant a "rich" adjective? Especially compared to everyone else in vancouver proper?

The "I should go back to renting" response I posted: just a simple example of how ETB could have been better off renting than the current situation. I totally agree that hindsight is 20 / 20 and it's easy to pick what we could have done with investments. I'm pretty confident that ETB truly believes that most areas in vancouver will outperform 98% of the rest of the world in the foreseeable future. That's fair enough.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:55 am

you still have to pay property taxes and maintenance when you rent its just spread out. The falling dollar is good for people paying with USD here

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:54 pm

Invest? I live in my house. It provides for a stable, long term roof over my family's head.
I honestly dont give 2 shits about investing. I ain't that hungry for $

Then why do I feel rich
? I'm confused.

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:58 pm

Vancouver will out perform the rest of Canada. I dont care what it does against any other locale

Actually, I don't follow your logic: if ETB was extremely lucky, what corlation does that have to making his / her responses adequate?

I thought the original post was a bit silly: comparing prices in one currency based on how another currency performs. But then the "I feel rich" comment actually gave the comparison some relevancy.

Feeling "rich" is relative. Feeling rich in NYC might be the same (in some respects) to feeling rich in some improvished 3rd world country. The relativity is how rich you are compared to everyone else in your area. By "rich", I'm referring to monetary only. Does ETB live a lavish lifestyle to warrant a "rich" adjective? Especially compared to everyone else in vancouver proper?

The "I should go back to renting" response I posted: just a simple example of how ETB could have been better off renting than the current situation. I totally agree that hindsight is 20 / 20 and it's easy to pick what we could have done with investments. I'm pretty confident that ETB truly believes that most areas in vancouver will outperform 98% of the rest of the world in the foreseeable future. That's fair enough.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:37 pm

Ladies, gentlemen, TO THE MOON!!!

December 26
http://globalnews.ca/news/2421596/vanco ... my-expert/
"The benchmark price for residential property in Metro Vancouver was $752,500 in November, up nearly 18 per cent from 2014, according to the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver."

InvestorRelations
Real Estate Talker

Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:40 pm

Vancouver will out perform the rest of Canada. I dont care what it does against any other locale

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:04 pm

Invest? I live in my house. It provides for a stable, long term roof over my family's head.
I honestly dont give 2 shits about investing. I ain't that hungry for $

Then why do I feel rich
? I'm confused.

Are you serious ETB? I guess you forgot our exchange on this subject last year:
Re: Doom – Vacancy rates drop big
Postby Geyser » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:49 pm

ETB2 wrote:
My purpose was not to multiply gains it was to buy a house for my family.
If my purpose was for profit and multplying gains I would have sold by now...and put the 500K gain in my back pocket.

Really? So you disagree with the original ETB who said this:
by eyesthebye » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:35 pm

Gold is for speculators, real estate is for investors.

If you are the same ETB, what changed your mind? Not sensing a collapse are you? I can understand that switching to your new position would have been helpful if there were no archives. After years of boasting about paper profits it would be easier to laugh off a price collapse as not being important to you because you didn't buy it as an investor.

Gotta hate those archives. :lol:
In fond memory of Taipan, a model of modesty, decency, dignity and tolerance. Long may we all prosper from the tremendous legacy of worldly wisdom and specialized real estate knowledge which he left in the "Arguments" thread.

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:06 pm

Then why do I feel rich
? I'm confused.

You nailed it!
In fond memory of Taipan, a model of modesty, decency, dignity and tolerance. Long may we all prosper from the tremendous legacy of worldly wisdom and specialized real estate knowledge which he left in the "Arguments" thread.