This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

ktomlinson
Topic Author

Unsolicited offers to buy from realtors

Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:45 pm

Hi all. I am a reporter with the Globe and Mail and I appreciate being a member of this forum.
I am hoping to connect with anyone who lives in Greater Vancouver who has sold or considered selling their home after a realtor approached them with an unsolicited offer to buy. Perhaps the realtor was also the buyer. Perhaps the home was sold quickly and privately without being listed on MLS or having a sign out front.
Any leads or thoughts on this topic greatly appreciated. My confidential email is ktomlinson@globeandmail.com. Thanks!

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Re: Unsolicited offers to buy from realtors

Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:59 pm

I got a lowball offer of 20% under market value from Kit Matkaluk from VPG Realty.
I replied to a form letter he'd scattered throughout the neighbourhood. I had no intention
to sell, I just wanted a humorous diversion.
He tried to compare my home to a sale of a home on a much smaller lot.
Kit seems to think people who own home were born yesterday.
He's not the only one.
Most of these realtors claim to be representing a developer or a wealthy overseas buyer. They aren't.
They give me a chuckle.

jesse1
Real Estate Talker

Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:19 am

A certain noteworthy Vancouver Realtor frequently displayed on notepads has tried with a few of our friends' houses. He claims he has builders who can routinely build for less psf than anyone else. Smooth fellow. Very smooth.

Not sure what to make of the offshore buyer angle. I wouldn't be surprised to have some grey/black market pooled private foreign capital funds active in the area. But I'm sure a lot of it is hot air and just local sharking.
There is no shame in overpaying

silverman
Real Estate Talker

Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:26 pm

I got a lowball offer of 20% under market value from Kit Matkaluk from VPG Realty.
I replied to a form letter he'd scattered throughout the neighbourhood. ...
They give me a chuckle.
He may be working with potential buyers, it's a possibility, although not a probability. But at 20% less than market value who wouldn't buy...
Did Mr. Kit tell you how much commission he would be charging you to sell your property at 20% less than potentially you could get in the open market?

in the vast majority of cases, realtors with unsolicited "offers" are simply fishing for listings. Not that there is anything wrong with that at all. They simply are looking for owners who may be interested in selling, and try to get the listing. That is a part of a realtor's job. No successful realtor is... listless.

ktomlinson
Topic Author

Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:41 pm

I am specifically interested in cases where the realtor/investor offered to purchase the property without listing it. Not cases where realtors were trying to get a listing.
Only those where a realtor or an investor or both approached a homeowner offering to buy the home without listing it. If anyone knows of a case where this happened and the homeowner signed up, please contact me ktomlinson@globeandmail.com

jesse1
Real Estate Talker

Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:05 pm

I know of cases where Realtors broker a builder to build new on an owner's lot with the owner retaining title.

I have known of a few "nudge and a wink" owners who say they'll sell without the Realtor commissions privately after the contract expires.

I have heard rumours of offering cash without going through listing agent but it's unclear to me this is anything more than trying to get the property below market. There are undoubtedly multiple trollers vying after the same property. It's hard to imagine the seller doing better privately even after commission costs. Jmho
There is no shame in overpaying

Austin
Real Estate Talker

Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:13 am

Well, it depends, the listing form requires you to disclose things like oil tanks on your property. Maybe you could sell to some over eager / naive buyer.
Redistribute consumption, not income.

Dragonslayer
Real Estate Talker

Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:12 pm

Thank you Ms Tomlinson. Your article was Excellent

reallyreal
Real Estate Talker

Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:07 pm

Why was it excellent?

It misses the point all together.