This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

lost
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

No Kitchen Sink P-trap in new Condo?

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:39 pm

So, new condo near DT has no food disposal / garburator; thinking of putting one in.
Looked under kitchen sink (sink is on an island).
No P trap under sink. WTF?
Sink and dishwasher appear to drain straight down.

Does anyone know the building codes for this (couldn't find on google) / experienced this in new builds?
It just completed last month...

Do I need to call strata and get this fixed?
I thought p-traps have to be visible under most sinks.
P trap is visible under bathroom sinks.

Why did they do this?!

HomelessinSD
Real Estate Talker

Re: No Kitchen Sink P-trap in new Condo?

Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:41 am

Sinks in islands have different vents... The vent is below the slab, in the ceiling of the unit below you.

If you think about it, how would it vent vertically if there wasn't a wall at the island?

HomelessinSD
Real Estate Talker

Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:59 am

You can google "island vent, below trap permitted" for an image.

lost
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:02 pm

Ok thank you! Didn't know about this one.
I don't know very much about plumbing :(

WhipMaster
Real Estate Talker

Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:45 pm

Good post.
Good response. :lol:
Hoo~Cudda~Not~Nod~ed????? :-)

HomelessinSD
Real Estate Talker

Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:15 pm

Just for the record, the way they installed isn't the best configuration though. It's better practice to have the p-trap under the sink and a v-type trap in the base cabinet. If the builder put in a pony wall behind the island cabinet, the v-type trap can be concealed within the pony wall and not take up cabinet space.

Having the p-trap below the slab, there should be an access panel in the ceiling to service the trap. Access panels are unsightly, and the neighbor below would need to be bothered if there was ever a problem.

Looks like the builder/ plumber did the most economical initial build.

One last thing: strata rules might not allow the garbage disposal unit. They are generally bad for the waste systems, especially in condos.

DAB
Real Estate Talker

Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:27 pm

One last thing: strata rules might not allow the garbage disposal unit. They are generally bad for the waste systems, especially in condos.
I personally would rather not have a garburator. It needs to get replaced every few years and costs several hundred dollars.

outsider2k10
Real Estate Talker

Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:42 am

It could be done in purpose. I mean my strata was talking about remove all the garburators in the building because some unit's drain pipe got clogged and the engineer strata hired suggested it. Besides there is also organic recycling coming to GVA.

lost
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:21 am

Yeah I wish P-trap was visible. Seems like a lot of work to bother neighbour if someone drops a ring down the sink :(
I bought the well reviewed WasteKing L8000 on sale at amazon, $90 USD :) has "lifetime warranty", whatever that's worth.

Thanks for all the help. I'll check strata rules. I can always just use it in my old place (existing one sounds like it's on the way out).

westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:56 pm

I personally would rather not have a garburator. It needs to get replaced every few years and costs several hundred dollars.
I have always owned a garburator, and like them. Green waste is still used for the bulk of organics, but its good for getting rid of smaller things that you don't want to put into the green bin.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never had to replace a garburator, all the ones I've had have outlasted my time in their respective places. The last one I bought (new for kitchen renovation this year) cost $300 and came with a lifetime warranty. Installed it myself in 5 minutes. As long as you don't throw a chicken carcass or an entire bowl of salad into it, it should last a long time.