This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Re: Cad/cny

Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:22 pm

Flat rate in vancouver? I live in abbotsford an pay on a metered rate. I have a SFH with a suite and my bimonthly bill for water and sewer is $90. It works out to be around $550 per year for water/sewer. If I am reading your link correctly, the taxes paid in Vancouver would be $1195 for a similar housing type.
Depends on the age of the home in Vancouver. Older homes aren't metered and besides the taxes are low

westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:38 pm

Flat rate in vancouver? I live in abbotsford an pay on a metered rate. I have a SFH with a suite and my bimonthly bill for water and sewer is $90. It works out to be around $550 per year for water/sewer. If I am reading your link correctly, the taxes paid in Vancouver would be $1195 for a similar housing type.
AFAIK, most of the lower mainland is flat rate. My water/sewer for Burnaby in 2015 was around 1100.

I think newer homes are metered, or can be metered. Personally, I would love to have everyone go to metered use, so those with huge houses/big families/renters would pay a proportionate amount of money to their usage. I suspect my household would be at the low end of the usage scale.

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:50 pm

Last edited by Geyser on Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In fond memory of Taipan, a model of modesty, decency, dignity and tolerance. Long may we all prosper from the tremendous legacy of worldly wisdom and specialized real estate knowledge which he left in the "Arguments" thread.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:51 pm

Property taxes in Vancouver are the lowest in Canada

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:01 pm

Property Tax on an old house like ETB's would be under $3K pa if it was located in Langley! Check it out yourself.
In fond memory of Taipan, a model of modesty, decency, dignity and tolerance. Long may we all prosper from the tremendous legacy of worldly wisdom and specialized real estate knowledge which he left in the "Arguments" thread.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:02 pm

In Vancouver property taxes are the lowest in Canada

rofina
Real Estate Talker

Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:20 pm

AFAIK, most of the lower mainland is flat rate. My water/sewer for Burnaby in 2015 was around 1100.

I think newer homes are metered, or can be metered. Personally, I would love to have everyone go to metered use, so those with huge houses/big families/renters would pay a proportionate amount of money to their usage. I suspect my household would be at the low end of the usage scale.
This.

It blows my mind how many families grow up leaving taps running, and lights/TV on when the leave home.

Who does that!?

westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:32 pm

It blows my mind how many families grow up leaving taps running, and lights/TV on when the leave home.

Who does that!?
One of the people living on our street has been watering his concrete... he has no garden, but manages to turn on the hose every other day to water. his. concrete.

I'm not bothered by lights and TV's - hydro is metered, so you use it you pay for it. But not water... not yet.

westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:34 pm

Property Tax on an old house like ETB's would be under $3K pa if it was located in Langley! Check it out yourself.
Thats odd.... a quick check shows a 1.5M home in Langley would carry property taxes of about 8K. Of course, it all depends on how you compare houses, so many different ways to do so. :!:

rofina
Real Estate Talker

Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:25 am

How about that exchange rate, eh? Quite a move by China. Vancouver implications?

vwrider
Real Estate Talker

Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:40 am

I'm with Geyser on this one. I don't really understand the logic of thinking you are paying lower taxes when in fact you are paying more in terms of dollars. I own a 4000sqft home with a basement suite. 3 showers, 2 washing machines, 2 dishwashers and two families using up water on a metered rate. We're probably using more water than the average home in the lower mainland. According to some of the posted numbers, I pay about 50% less in real dollars for water/sewer. 1.5M home in vancouver is not worth 1.5M in langley and would not be taxed as such. I guess you can fool yourself into thinking you pay less taxes based on the rate, but in terms of dollars you are paying more.

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:16 am

How about that exchange rate, eh? Quite a move by China. Vancouver implications?
Posters on this forum have trumpeted the drop in the Canadian Dollar as a huge incentive for Chinese investors to scoop up Vancouver property. Ergo, a drop in the value of the Yuan will sure trigger a mass exodus, no? :lol:

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:21 am

I'm with Geyser on this one. I don't really understand the logic of thinking you are paying lower taxes when in fact you are paying more in terms of dollars. I own a 4000sqft home with a basement suite. 3 showers, 2 washing machines, 2 dishwashers and two families using up water on a metered rate. We're probably using more water than the average home in the lower mainland. According to some of the posted numbers, I pay about 50% less in real dollars for water/sewer. 1.5M home in vancouver is not worth 1.5M in langley and would not be taxed as such. I guess you can fool yourself into thinking you pay less taxes based on the rate, but in terms of dollars you are paying more.
Of course you are correct. A $1.5 million home in Langley is a large, modern, well maintained home on acreage, versus an old house on a small lot in East Van. A $500K home in Langley is likely to be a much, much nicer home than one of the same price in Vancouver. Apples & oranges. But tdma800 knows that and is just trolling. :D

WhipMaster
Real Estate Talker

Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:17 am

Geyser:
Posters on this forum have trumpeted the drop in the Canadian Dollar as a huge incentive for Chinese investors to scoop up Vancouver property. Ergo, a drop in the value of the Yuan will sure trigger a mass exodus, no?
No...absolutely not. A drop in the Yuan will trigger an even bigger buying surge. Chinese will buy now before Yuan goes down even more. :mrgreen:
Hoo~Cudda~Not~Nod~ed????? :-)

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:32 am

Property taxes in Vancouver are the lowest in Canada - standard English