This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

Austin
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Cad/cny

Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:25 pm

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from= ... Y&view=10Y

Lol. Just takes 4.7 of those now to get 1 cad. House prices are not going up for the Chinese...
Redistribute consumption, not income.

rMBA13
Real Estate Talker

Re: Cad/cny

Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:52 am

That is one heck of a beautiful chart... Vancouver's housing prices are real bargain to Mainland Chinese buyers

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:19 am

Yes, the Chinese who bought 6 months ago must be thrilled at their losses. There are few things as satisfying as watching currency changes destroy your overseas investments. :lol:

I wonder if they loaded up on Russian RE before the collapse of the Rouble? The economists are saying our CAD still has a way to fall unless our interest rates spike.
In fond memory of Taipan, a model of modesty, decency, dignity and tolerance. Long may we all prosper from the tremendous legacy of worldly wisdom and specialized real estate knowledge which he left in the "Arguments" thread.

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:25 pm

"Geyser"]Yes, the Chinese who bought 6 months ago must be thrilled at their losses. There are few things as satisfying as watching currency changes destroy your overseas investments. :lol:
that's why there were buying hard assets dipshit

Austin
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:24 pm

Yes, the Chinese who bought 6 months ago must be thrilled at their losses. There are few things as satisfying as watching currency changes destroy your overseas investments. :lol:

I wonder if they loaded up on Russian RE before the collapse of the Rouble? The economists are saying our CAD still has a way to fall unless our interest rates spike.
Yeah, you are probably right, they're probably not happy that they could get it for much cheaper. I wouldn't necessarily think that means they're going to panic sell if they're in it for the long term and they plan on using the RE.
Redistribute consumption, not income.

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:58 pm

"Geyser"]Yes, the Chinese who bought 6 months ago must be thrilled at their losses. There are few things as satisfying as watching currency changes destroy your overseas investments. :lol:
that's why there were buying hard assets dipshit
Oh right, buying hard assets that are valued in a curency that is steadily losing value against the buyer's own national currency. Smart move if you want to go broke.

I seems to remember how smart Taipan was several years ago when he supposedly bought hards assets in the form of gold bullion at around US$1650 per ounce. How did that work out dipshit?
In fond memory of Taipan, a model of modesty, decency, dignity and tolerance. Long may we all prosper from the tremendous legacy of worldly wisdom and specialized real estate knowledge which he left in the "Arguments" thread.

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:01 pm

Yeah, you are probably right, they're probably not happy that they could get it for much cheaper. I wouldn't necessarily think that means they're going to panic sell if they're in it for the long term and they plan on using the RE.
Based on numerous forecasts, our dollar may have a way to slide yet. The latest average MLS home prices have slipped too so it's a double whammy. I'm not sure that a falling currency and falling home prices are an attractive combination for overseas buyers.

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:01 pm

looks like Geyser has been asleep for about 10 months.

Falling currency = Vancouver price increases...an inverse relationship. When you have goods
to export a cheap dollar is on your side.
The "goods" here are properties - which we are not actually exporting; we're importing buyers!

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:50 pm

Falling currency = Vancouver price increases...an inverse relationship. When you have goods
The "goods" here are properties - which we are not actually exporting; we're importing buyers!
No, I've been awake and I've seen house prices go up by about 17% over the last year while our dollar dropped by more than 20%. When you also figure in acquisition costs, carrying costs and selling costs, anybody parking yuan in C$ denominated real estate for the last year and pulling out now is looking at big losses. Why should that ongoing slide in our dollar make our RE more attractive when the drop in currency value is bigger than the rise in prices?

Parking money in depreciating currencies is not a path to riches, particularly when any drop in RE values (which most forecasters expect) will simply add to the currency losses.

BTW, have you seen this forecast?

http://postimg.org/image/e7xce563h/

These guys have a near flawless record in predicting our dollar's moves over the last decade. Let's hope they are wrong with their current prediction of our dollar dropping to US 40 cents.

rMBA13
Real Estate Talker

Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:17 pm

No, I've been awake and I've seen house prices go up by about 17% over the last year while our dollar dropped by more than 20%. When you also figure in acquisition costs, carrying costs and selling costs, anybody parking yuan in C$ denominated real estate for the last year and pulling out now is looking at big losses. Why should that ongoing slide in our dollar make our RE more attractive when the drop in currency value is bigger than the rise in prices?

Parking money in depreciating currencies is not a path to riches, particularly when any drop in RE values (which most forecasters expect) will simply add to the currency losses.

These guys have a near flawless record in predicting our dollar's moves over the last decade. Let's hope they are wrong with their current prediction of our dollar dropping to US 40 cents.
I'd say only about 25% of the buyers are offshore... so the weakening currency certainly helps propping up the RE market, but they arent the only buyers

InvestorRelations
Real Estate Talker

Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:41 pm

I have most of my 'parked' CAD cash here:

http://www.horizonsetfs.com/pub/en/etfs/?etf=DLR

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:24 pm

I'd say only about 25% of the buyers are offshore... so the weakening currency certainly helps propping up the RE market, but they arent the only buyers
Buying into a falling (currency) market makes no sense to me. Otherwise I would have loaded up on assets priced in Rubles last year.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:35 am

I have most of my 'parked' CAD cash here:

http://www.horizonsetfs.com/pub/en/etfs/?etf=DLR
In addition its appropriate to get into a dropping market especially for people with other dollars since its cheaper!! to the moon gentlemen!

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:06 am

"Geyser"

Buying into a falling (currency) market makes no sense to me. Otherwise I would have loaded up on assets priced in Rubles last year.
sure, if the currency of your country is USD. Everyone else is living with a weaker currency. Americans are not the primary
immigrants here Geyser. Seems you've been asleep for a few decades

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:06 am

"Geyser"

sure, if the currency of your country is USD. Everyone else is living with a weaker currency. Americans are not the primary
immigrants here Geyser. Seems you've been asleep for a few decades
Let me try to phrase it in simple terms which you should be able to grasp.

Foreign buyer has money to park somewhere overseas for a few years. That potential buyer can look at Canada where the property prices are generally regarded as being in their biggest ever bubble in an economy which is on life-support and where the national currency is sliding, possibly to go a lot lower.

For most sane investors this is not an attractive investment opportunity when compared with the USA which has many nice areas with good weather, a rapidly strengthening dollar, a growing economy and a property market which already had its collapse and might be poised for recovery.

So where would you park your money?

Hint:
Ask a Chinese buyer how much they have lost if they bought a SFH in Vancouver a year ago.