This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

What now? Transit referendum says 'Non'

Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:19 pm

No surprise that the transit referendum failed. What was a surprise was the proportion of the No votes. Even Surrey voted 65% against!

Let's move on. Without additional funding, services will continue to be cut on low density routes. This will affect RE. What to buy and what to avoid?

My recommendation is to buy the Cambie corridor because of the Canada Line, good parks and low density. Moreover, North False Creek and Yaletown will become more expensive as investors pile in on the back of a weak C$.

To avoid? Anything to do with the Expo Line and Surrey. Ditto for the Patullo Bridge. Don't know if North Burnaby services will be affected.

IMO, Tsawwassen remains attractive for up-market buyers because of the toll bridge replacing the Massey Tunnel. However, low end properties will remain depressed.

Your choices? Please leave the partisanship behind. Let's discuss this in a rational manner. Ask questions rather than expound your certainty. Thanks.

Addendum: Disclosure that last month I signed a contract for a new Cambie condo to be delivered in 2017.

westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Re: What now? Transit referendum says 'Non'

Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:13 pm

No surprise that the transit referendum failed. What was a surprise was the proportion of the No votes. Even Surrey voted 65% against!

Let's move on. Without additional funding, services will continue to be cut on low density routes. This will affect RE. What to buy and what to avoid?

My recommendation is to buy the Cambie corridor because of the Canada Line, good parks and low density. Moreover, North False Creek and Yaletown will become more expensive as investors pile in on the back of a weak C$.

To avoid? Anything to do with the Expo Line and Surrey. Ditto for the Patullo Bridge. Don't know if North Burnaby services will be affected.

IMO, Tsawwassen remains attractive for up-market buyers because of the toll bridge replacing the Massey Tunnel. However, low end properties will remain depressed.

Your choices? Please leave the partisanship behind. Let's discuss this in a rational manner. Ask questions rather than expound your certainty. Thanks.

Addendum: Disclosure that last month I signed a contract for a new Cambie condo to be delivered in 2017.
I am not worried about North Burnaby - if anything, I would not be surprised to see the SFU B-line (135) service increase, Hastings St and SFU continue to densify. Skytrain service along Millennium line will continue as-is, and will probably be busier once the new extension to Port Moody is complete. A skytrain line down Hastings St was always decades away (if ever), no matter how the referendum turned out. None of it matters to me anyway, my bike ride from door to office is still 25 minutes. :wink:

The referendum doesn't change the avoid list either - no matter what improvements are made to transit, proximity to downtown and ease of getting there will be more valuable than the burbs.

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:34 pm

Not everyone bikes to work from North Burnaby. Many take the bus to the Millennium Line. Will the feeder services be affected?

At some point, you might want to take the family on the bus to the mall or doctors office. Will it be a 15 minute or hourly service?

Of course, you could keep a car but that's additional expenses. The problem with cars (and buses) is that they travel on the road surface. And, they're not building new roads these days in the inner areas. So, expect more congestion as crowded buses lead to more (less efficient) passenger car trips.

tapioca
Real Estate Talker

Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:36 am

Jimtan, did it ever occur to you that service cuts could effect your precious canada line as well?

no, I bet it didn't.

tapioca
Real Estate Talker

Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:47 am

they can use those carriages on the millenium/expo lines as well. and they do. i've seen them.

could there be less frequent trains on the canada line? how will people getting to DT, the airport and Langara be effected, especially as density increases and trains get more crowded? One of my olympic village buddies says she has to wait 5 trains to get on, it's so busy. Will this deter people from buying along the canada line?

westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:02 am

Not everyone bikes to work from North Burnaby. Many take the bus to the Millennium Line. Will the feeder services be affected?
I assume that Translink will make appropriate decisions regarding feeder services, and will cut services that are under-used or don't make sense to operate any more. If some of those services are ones that bring people to Brentwood or Gilmore stations, so be it. I highly doubt that the 135 will be one of those services affected - judging by the fact that its standing room only before it hits Willingdon on the way downtown, I'd say its one of their more successful bus routes.

When I bought I made a conscious decision to live where I live, taking into account things like simple access to transit and proximity to downtown. When I take transit I walk to a bus stop on Hastings, or walk to a skytrain station, and get on transit that way, which minimizes my need for extensive transit infrastructure. I paid a premium to live where I live, knowing I was getting all of this. Everyone makes choices.
At some point, you might want to take the family on the bus to the mall or doctors office. Will it be a 15 minute or hourly service?
I don't forsee this happening, I own a car and will always own a car. Its currently a very comfy A6, complete with A/C and all the toys required to make trips in it pleasant.
Of course, you could keep a car but that's additional expenses. The problem with cars (and buses) is that they travel on the road surface. And, they're not building new roads these days in the inner areas. So, expect more congestion as crowded buses lead to more (less efficient) passenger car trips.
[/quote]

In my entire time in the LM, I only know of one new road that was built near where I live - the extension to Still Creek Road, just south of Lougheed in Burnaby, which was completed about a year ago (2 years?). I have zero expectations that new roads will be built anywhere in Vancouver or Burnaby, so this is not really a threat to me. Congestion is a way of life in a city, you adapt to it.

tapioca
Real Estate Talker

Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:04 am

JT doesn't seem aware that NB has malls, doctors, restaurants, dentists, vets, pubs etc in walking distance

westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:15 am

JT doesn't seem aware that NB has malls, doctors, restaurants, dentists, vets, pubs etc in walking distance
I know, what can you do? Its arguably one of the most walkable and contained neighbourhoods in the LM. My house has a walkscore (https://www.walkscore.com/CA-BC/Burnaby) of 87... Some people never want to see whats beyond their own line of sight.

DAB
Real Estate Talker

Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:48 am

I know, what can you do? Its arguably one of the most walkable and contained neighbourhoods in the LM. My house has a walkscore (https://www.walkscore.com/CA-BC/Burnaby) of 87... Some people never want to see whats beyond their own line of sight.
A lot of people I know that live in East Van or Downtown thinks Burnaby & Richmond are considered suburbs and are just too far for them.

I bet the same type of people exist that live in the West side that would never venture past east of Main thinking it's not safe.

outsider2k10
Real Estate Talker

Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:47 pm

Ya.. I went to the hats off day at Burnaby Heights and it was great.

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:57 pm

Jimtan, did it ever occur to you that service cuts could effect your precious canada line as well?

no, I bet it didn't.
My Cambie condo is within an easy walk to King Edward Station. Don't need a feeder service.

Yes, Canada Line is also full at peak period. Just means that you have to reschedule your travel. The important thing is that they won't cut train services. Might even be able to add an extra car.

Big differences exist between bus and subway travel. It takes much longer to load and unload a bus. Do peak hour buses maintain their schedule? Plus, subways are much more comfortable than bus travel.
In my entire time in the LM, I only know of one new road that was built near where I live - the extension to Still Creek Road, just south of Lougheed in Burnaby, which was completed about a year ago (2 years?). I have zero expectations that new roads will be built anywhere in Vancouver or Burnaby, so this is not really a threat to me. Congestion is a way of life in a city, you adapt to it.
In some third world cities, road travel is a herculean undertaking. Without adequate transit, the middle class drive on third world road networks. Traffic congestion is amazing. So, what do they do? They hire chauffeurs since labor is cheap. Let him do the driving while you work in the back of the car.

Are you gonna do that in Vancouver?

This is the downward death spiral of cities when mass transit is unavailable. Or, when mass transit keeps breaking down. As a result, there will be gross distortion in population densities and RE prices.

BTW, the walk score of Burnaby is 64. The walk score of my street is 96. So....

:roll:

outsider2k10
Real Estate Talker

Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:05 pm

I hate to take Canada line after 7pm because it is 12 min/train from Richmond bridge house to Waterfront. (6min/train from bridgeport to waterfront.) I usually end up take either 430 directly to Metrotown or 410 to 22rd station than skytrain to Metrotown.

walk score for my street is 96 and transit score is 86, than again my condo is cross the kingsway to Metrotown.

rMBA13
Real Estate Talker

Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:31 am

Good for you Jim "Tan". You'll be fine since you probably speak Mandarin.

The stupid algorithm used for walk score is completely unreliable. A condo by King Edward station doesnt deserve a 96 rating. The only thing that you're close to are the QE park, an overpriced tiny grocery store and 3 chinese restaurants. Community centre, better restaurants, public schools, Shoppers are all 15min+ by walking. A condo by the City Hall skytrain deserves such a high score, but not King Ed. City Hall has Whole Foods, Save On and No Frills. King Ed is just another sleepy boring residential area, lacking mixed used developments.

P.S. You will also be close to a mental hospital.

westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:08 pm

In some third world cities, road travel is a herculean undertaking. Without adequate transit, the middle class drive on third world road networks. Traffic congestion is amazing. So, what do they do? They hire chauffeurs since labor is cheap. Let him do the driving while you work in the back of the car.

Are you gonna do that in Vancouver?

This is the downward death spiral of cities when mass transit is unavailable. Or, when mass transit keeps breaking down. As a result, there will be gross distortion in population densities and RE prices.
Is Vancouver a third world city? Do you think that Vancouver is going to become a third world city because of our lost referendum? Stop being dramatic.
BTW, the walk score of Burnaby is 64. The walk score of my street is 96. So....
So... I don't know? You've compared the average walk score of an entire city to that of your single block. I'm not sure what that tells anyone. I was merely pointing out in my neighbourhood, I don't have to get into a car and drive 15 minutes a mall or a doctor, or for anything, if I don't want to. False Creek is not the only walkable and convenient location in the LM.

tapioca
Real Estate Talker

Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:26 pm

oh that JT, desperately clutching at straws. *clutch*...*clutch*..

having taken both buses and trains, there are pros and cons to both. but you know what's even better? cycling looking out over the burrard inlet and the north shore, through a forest, on my way home.