This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Mayor Sunshine - Vancouver’s problem is empty homes

Sun May 17, 2015 12:52 pm

"Vancouver’s problem is empty homes, not foreign ownership: Mayor Gregor Robertson

“The city’s primary concern is around empty homes and market speculation skewing the prices. Foreign ownership is a separate issue, that’s not something that should be a big factor here,” Robertson said, adding he is concerned foreign ownership is a trigger for other issues.

Foreign ownership made headlines this week. Premier Christy Clark dismissed the idea of placing an additional tax on foreign buyers, yet an online petition calling for restrictions on foreign ownership in B.C. reached more than 21,000 signatures.

“We’ve welcomed immigrants as long as this city has been here,” Robertson said. “It’s a very inclusive and harmonious city of many cultures, and we want to continue ensuring that’s our strength and focusing on what the real problem is, which is vacancy and ensuring we get best use of the space we have.”

http://metronews.ca/news/vancouver/1369 ... robertson/

Right! Has nothing to do with the resistance to densification and the lack of transit options! :mrgreen:

Read them and weep, dumb bears.
Attachments
Bury-your-Head-in-the-sand.jpg
Bury-your-Head-in-the-sand.jpg (68.95 KiB) Viewed 5111 times

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Re: Mayor Sunshine - Vancouver’s problem is empty homes

Sun May 17, 2015 6:41 pm

the owners of empty homes still pay for taxes and i dont see a problem with that

rMBA13
Real Estate Talker

Sun May 17, 2015 7:16 pm

Vancouver will never be the same, it has become an Asian city.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sun May 17, 2015 7:27 pm

and thats the way it should be

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/teresa-hs ... 60393.html
"Teresa Hsiao-tV writer (American Dad, Family Guy) Hey, white guys. You probably know by now that having an Asian girlfriend is a rite of passage for all white men. "Date an Asian chick" has become akin to "Go skydiving" or "Live in New York" in the veritable white guy bucket list. Of course, dating an Asian girl is very different from dating your typical Nancy or Betty. So, in order to snag yourself a Mulan, I present to you a White Man's Guide to Dating Asian Girls."

red_lantern
Real Estate Talker

Sun May 17, 2015 10:36 pm

and thats the way it should be

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/teresa-hs ... 60393.html
"Teresa Hsiao-tV writer (American Dad, Family Guy) Hey, white guys. You probably know by now that having an Asian girlfriend is a rite of passage for all white men. "Date an Asian chick" has become akin to "Go skydiving" or "Live in New York" in the veritable white guy bucket list. Of course, dating an Asian girl is very different from dating your typical Nancy or Betty. So, in order to snag yourself a Mulan, I present to you a White Man's Guide to Dating Asian Girls."

Yeah except in Mayor Greggor's case where he started late, they avoided him like the plague in high school and had no interest **Gag** Gag**
Now he's got money and a city (to sell out to china) so now he's tasting the ASIAN flava! and he likes it, he divorced his wife and left the kids to fend for themselves whilst screwing a chinese chick almost half his age.

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Mon May 18, 2015 12:52 am

Yeah except in Mayor Greggor's case where he started late, they avoided him like the plague in high school and had no interest **Gag** Gag**
Now he's got money and a city (to sell out to china) so now he's tasting the ASIAN flava! and he likes it, he divorced his wife and left the kids to fend for themselves whilst screwing a chinese chick almost half his age.
Geez,

You don't seem like a typical Asian chick either? :shock:

Austin
Real Estate Talker

Mon May 18, 2015 2:34 pm

immigrants vote. absentee owners don't vote. Pretty basic calculus.
Redistribute consumption, not income.

rMBA13
Real Estate Talker

Mon May 18, 2015 3:14 pm

Chinese are buying the entire West coast!!!!
http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/20 ... rb-arcadia

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Tue May 19, 2015 4:47 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3079077
Real estate magnate Bob Rennie says young Vancouverites should let go of their dream of owning a single-family detached home in the city and embrace density if they want to stay.

Rennie, owner of Rennie Marketing Systems, will be speaking on the issue during his annual address to the Urban Development Institute on Friday.

As housing prices continue to skyrocket in Metro Vancouver, more and more educated young people with well-paying jobs are venting their frustration at being priced out of the real estate market. One Vancouver woman even took to Twitter to express her dissatisfaction by creating the hashtag #donthave1million.

With the average price for a single family home in Vancouver hitting $1.72 million in 2014, only densification will solve Vancouver's housing affordability dilemma, says Rennie.

"I think the problem we have with single family homes in Vancouver is we're not making anymore of them. We'll never create another single family lot in my lifetime. There's depleting inventory and increasing demand," Rennie told The Early Edition's Rick Cluff.

"So it's toxic."

According to Rennie, whose company was involved in high-profile projects like Vancouver's Olympic Village and the redevelopment of the historic Woodward's building, planners need to create a lot of density at once in order to drive down prices.

"I know nobody wants to hear that, but unless we're going to take a big broad brush stroke and add a lot of density, we're in trouble," he said.

Rennie will address the Urban Development Institute at 12 p.m. PT on Friday.

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Tue May 19, 2015 7:22 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3079077
Real estate magnate Bob Rennie says young Vancouverites should let go of their dream of owning a single-family detached home in the city and embrace density if they want to stay.

Rennie, owner of Rennie Marketing Systems, will be speaking on the issue during his annual address to the Urban Development Institute on Friday.

As housing prices continue to skyrocket in Metro Vancouver, more and more educated young people with well-paying jobs are venting their frustration at being priced out of the real estate market. One Vancouver woman even took to Twitter to express her dissatisfaction by creating the hashtag #donthave1million.

With the average price for a single family home in Vancouver hitting $1.72 million in 2014, only densification will solve Vancouver's housing affordability dilemma, says Rennie.

"I think the problem we have with single family homes in Vancouver is we're not making anymore of them. We'll never create another single family lot in my lifetime. There's depleting inventory and increasing demand," Rennie told The Early Edition's Rick Cluff.

"So it's toxic."

According to Rennie, whose company was involved in high-profile projects like Vancouver's Olympic Village and the redevelopment of the historic Woodward's building, planners need to create a lot of density at once in order to drive down prices.

"I know nobody wants to hear that, but unless we're going to take a big broad brush stroke and add a lot of density, we're in trouble," he said.

Rennie will address the Urban Development Institute at 12 p.m. PT on Friday.
Absolutely correct.
Picking away at density nickel and dime style isn't doing anything but drive prices on detached lots.
Immediately change every RS zoning onto RT - like in Kits, Commercial Dr. and Main

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Tue May 19, 2015 7:37 pm

This might be useful.

https://reflectingvancouver.wordpress.c ... vancouver/

Like I said, it's up to the newbies and the young to fight for densification. Vancouver can easily double its population comfortably if you add light rail.

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Tue May 19, 2015 7:50 pm

This might be useful.

Like I said, it's up to the newbies and the young to fight for densification. Vancouver can easily double its population comfortably if you add light rail.

coincidently, the areas that allow this denisty have some of the highest house prices in the city.
See why I'm all for the zoning change? LOL

outsider2k10
Real Estate Talker

Tue May 19, 2015 11:49 pm

Not really news thou.

I remember CBC reported the situation back in 2013 as small stores in coal harbor area closed down because they didn't have customers to support the business as all the real estates were owned by foreign owner whom don't live in Vancouver. City will end up tear down those business building and build more condos and sell them to oversea owner.

Foreign owner may pay for the property tax but they don't really contribute any thing else if they don't live in Vancouver and they don't even pay income tax. I have a Chinese friend who's family never pay any income tax in Canada. I dunno how they did it as he claim his mother and father have nothing under their name and hold no position in the company, yet company provide their family all the living expense and so. He even said he dare CRS go to China to search becuase they won't find anything.

According to a family friend whom is accountant, all his Chinese client applied to become Non-resident for tax purpose last year.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Wed May 20, 2015 12:33 pm

This might be useful.

coincidently, the areas that allow this denisty have some of the highest house prices in the city.
See why I'm all for the zoning change? LOL
And whether or not someone lives in the property the owner still pays property tax - i do not care if things are empty

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:31 pm

Vancouver real estate prices not the fault of foreign buyers, says new report

A new report by the B.C. Real Estate Association says concerns over foreign buyers inflating house prices in Metro Vancouver are overblown and the real culprits are densification and geography.

"When we look at this idea that foreign investors are such a dominant force in the housing market that they're driving up housing prices and eroding affordability for first-time buyers, we find that there's no evidence of that," said Cameron Muir, chief economist with the BCREA...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3108197