This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Re: #donthave1million

Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:09 pm

"rofina"
Whats the solution? Row homes and town homes.
plus duplexes, half duplexes.
Completely agree with you
This is currently not a viable option because all land gets up zoned to the highest use, which is high-rise, rendering the land prices unsuitable for any development that requires less density.
all it takes is for the City to demand this kind of housing and stop approving developments for the highest possible amount of taxes they can collect

rofina
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:14 pm

"rofina"
how has a 29 year old who never worked in Vancouver help build our community. And how have you?
Waste of breath.. If you don't care, you don't care. I won't bother convincing you.
no really, I want to know.
I've worked 20 years here with the sick, the poor, the dying and the castaways of our society. I've housed the homeless and fed the hungry.
I've worked at ground zero on the downtown eastside. I've worked at the community level to improve the lives of countless.
What have you or this snotty 29 year old done that we should want to reward your contributions to our society? We know the snotty 29 year old
has done Fukc all...and you?
This is great - its people like YOU that make this city work - minus your pompous online persona. Truthfully, thank you for what you have done and I assume continue to do.

Why you would argue with me that its a good thing the city continues to push people like YOU out- that part I don't understand.

As for me? I could tell you about all the volunteer coaching, firefighting, creek clean up, and few other things I have done. Or the fact that I have created and continue to provide full-time jobs with salaries high enough that allow people to live decent lives. But will it change your opinion of anything? Doubt it.

rofina
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:16 pm

all it takes is for the City to demand this kind of housing and stop approving developments for the highest possible amount of taxes they can collect
Agreed, fully.

Which is why locals need to get more vocal. There are other housing options, more desirable ones. The issue is the city is funded by development dollars.

We need a social movement to break that chain, and encourage more people friendly developments.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:08 pm

People that like single family home and like heritage properties make me happy-- why? because some/most single family homeowners don't want increased density or new development near them - thus keeping prices high

WhipMaster
Real Estate Talker

Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:53 pm

Have any of you heard of Agenda 21?
That's why we will continue to get high density developments as opposed to more liveable options.
Don't know what Agenda 21 is?.... Get with it and find out. It's happening all over N. America. :lol:
Hoo~Cudda~Not~Nod~ed????? :-)

jimtan
Real Estate Talker

Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:30 pm

Let's go easy on Rofina. She's just a young woman.

Let's remember that the problem isn't foreign buyers or low interest rates. Ultimately, the responsibility rests with existing home owners. They resist densification here and there. So, city hall proceeds with densification where there are no objections. Property owners downtown are happy to sell out for $$$$. Build more towers. :mrgreen:

Owners of landed property resist densification because there isn't enough mass transit to handle the increase in population. And, mass transit won't happen as long as YOU elect senior governments that see mass transit as poison. Down with the unions! :P

Christy Clark says that she wants to build a bridge to replace the Massey Tunnel. Good?

Unfortunately, with her obsession on balancing budgets, it will probably be a public-private project. Pay tolls!!!!!! You know what happened to Port Mann Bridge. Big losses as bridge traffic is lower than the old bridge! :shock:

So, blame the high cost of housing on yourself. Be happy that Mayor Sunshine and city hall are working hard to create housing for the long run. Condo now. Family housing later. The tide will turn. Goodbye suburbs! Hello bright lights! :D
Attachments
depositphotos_31001991-Wealth---Earn-Money-Concept---Business-Cartoons-Vectors.jpg
depositphotos_31001991-Wealth---Earn-Money-Concept---Business-Cartoons-Vectors.jpg (36.59 KiB) Viewed 4233 times

westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:26 pm

"rofina"
This is currently not a viable option because all land gets up zoned to the highest use, which is high-rise, rendering the land prices unsuitable for any development that requires less density.
How do more rowhomes, townhomes, and half duplexes increase overall affordability? These types of homes already exist, and they are not a lot cheaper than other forms of housing. Or is it a win if #donthave1million becomes #donthave750k?

jimtan
Real Estate Talker

Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:03 am

How do more rowhomes, townhomes, and half duplexes increase overall affordability? These types of homes already exist, and they are not a lot cheaper than other forms of housing. Or is it a win if #donthave1million becomes #donthave750k?
To me, paying $750k is always better than $1m. :roll:

Here's the important thing. Efforts by Vision Vancouver has ensured that Vancouver is still functioning. Still the best place on earth. There hasn't been a complete flight to Richmond/Burnaby.

That's why the Transit Referendum is so important. With a secure source of funding, Vancouver can build the Broadway corridor, then the Marine Drive corridor. Without transit funding, Vancouver will just build up the Marpole/Cambie areas based on existing train stations. Pay attention! :mrgreen:
Attachments
bull versus basement dweller.jpg
bull versus basement dweller.jpg (11.5 KiB) Viewed 4118 times

tapioca
Real Estate Talker

Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:09 am

Here is my response to the compaign:
Attachments
IMG1995.jpg
IMG1995.jpg (62.71 KiB) Viewed 4045 times

tapioca
Real Estate Talker

Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:10 am

rMBA 13:
they might get shot for having forced to live in Surrey
....Surrey may be an option. Actually there are many options.
What's wrong with Surrey? Delta? Chilliwack?.... It's all good. It's just your frame of mind.
+1

rofina
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:39 am

"rofina"
I think the answer to that question is zoning.

The largest hard cost is the price of land. What we need to do is to manage expectations via smart zoning. Make it undeniably clear that zoning a few blocks for row housing is not a precursor to up zoning for high rise condo.

This alone takes the speculative sail out of the wings of buyers and developers.

Part of this #donthave1million is to do with shock factor -focusing on price of SFH. It serves its purpose for an awareness campaign.

I dont propose that everyone "deserves" an SFH, in fact just the opposite. The supply of SFH should continue to be eroded at a very, very brisk pace.

What I am arguing for, and what I think should be the direction of this type of campaign is to increase awareness on the types of housing we are focusing on building.

This city has skipped an entire step in densifying, and I think thats where the issue is.

WhipMaster
Real Estate Talker

Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:44 am

Ok, but Rofina, hoping for "liveable" densification is never gonna happen.
This is the last time I will mention it....U.N. sponsored Agenda 21.
This is what we are up against. This is where North America is going, and the world.
If you want to have a clue here's a link: At about the 6:12 mark the presenter says that....

"A-21 allows for the change of every land use document in the world to require high density housing in city centres....."
Don't complain, cuz you dun' bin tol'.... :D
Hoo~Cudda~Not~Nod~ed????? :-)

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:19 am

"westcoastfella"
sounds like you haven't given it much thought...not much at all in fact. Or are you just being snide?

rowhouses, TH, duplexes are alterantives to a detached home. They are large enough to house and raise a family.
Very few are being built in Vancouver because the City wants to maximize it's tax revenue - in hand with the profits that developers want to maximize.
So there is a severe shortage of family appropriate housing.
Increase that supply and the price will come down. Increase these viable options for family housing and the cost of a detached home will come down.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:54 am

the norquay development area of vancouver is where rowhouses supposedly will be built.

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:44 am

When interest rates finally surge upwards towards historically normal levels, home prices of all kinds will drop significantly. That's what always happens. :D
In fond memory of Taipan, a model of modesty, decency, dignity and tolerance. Long may we all prosper from the tremendous legacy of worldly wisdom and specialized real estate knowledge which he left in the "Arguments" thread.