This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

tapioca
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Re: Rofina

Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:41 am

+1

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:49 pm

Geyser, you may not mean to but you do come across as classist and a bit racist when you talk about the alleged downsides to East Van. The generalizing about a very diverse neighbourhood gets old.
Sounds like you haven't really read most of my posts and are just generalizing based on a misinterpretation of some of my comments, like this one:
I would respectfully suggest that White Rock and areas of Delta have more cachet than East Van. I know it has the occasional blocks here and there which are quite nice but unfortunately most of East Van is very rough and carries the same stigma as Whalley. Both are widely regarded as good areas to avoid. Marpole isn't the best part of the West Side but it is in a different league to the Eastside and certainly worthy of the relative premium it commands.
I don't worry about people's "class" (whatever that is) but I do care about anti-social behaviour. Unfortunately, anti-social behaviour tends to be more commonplace in low income areas than in higher income areas.

I do not care about people's race but, once again, I do care about anti-social behaviour. Unfortunately, there are some cultures which promote behaviour which can be described as anti-social. It's far better to judge somebody by their behaviour than by their appearance but I will admit that, like most people, if I see some heavily tattooed, pot-bellied middle-aged, unshaven guy wearing a dirty T-shirt and grubby denims, roaring down the street on an unsilenced Harley, I will probably assume that he's a jerk with insecurity issues about his manhood.

Sorry if that makes me too judgemental :D
In fond memory of Taipan, a model of modesty, decency, dignity and tolerance. Long may we all prosper from the tremendous legacy of worldly wisdom and specialized real estate knowledge which he left in the "Arguments" thread.

vanreal
Real Estate Talker

Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:17 pm

The key to finding value is to get ahead of the curve. :roll:
North Burnaby has been similarly under-appreciated, as compared to westside and E Van...
I just don't get what North Burnaby has to offer. What's there? Nothing. No good restaurants. No interesting cultural. It's just a boring suburb. the only advantage it has is that it is close to the city

tapioca
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:33 pm

vanreal, i feel the same way about Kits and the westside :lol:

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:45 pm

vanreal, i feel the same way about Kits and the westside :lol:
Now that was funny! :lol:
In fond memory of Taipan, a model of modesty, decency, dignity and tolerance. Long may we all prosper from the tremendous legacy of worldly wisdom and specialized real estate knowledge which he left in the "Arguments" thread.

jimtan
Real Estate Talker

Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:39 pm

Jim Tan:
The key to finding value is to get ahead of the curve
....well anybody buying now, may be a little bit behind the curve, so they aren't going to find any value today.
If a guy is gonna buy today, he better have a whack of cash. :D
:mrgreen:

Thank you, Mr. Obvious. That's why people come to this forum. For expert RE advice! :mrgreen:

The key to finding value is to get ahead of the curve. :roll:
North Burnaby has been similarly under-appreciated, as compared to westside and E Van...
Does North Burnaby have a plan? Is that plan an indication of a change in city planning? :roll:

"Cambie corridor planning could have an impact on 43,000 residents south of West 16th Avenue"

http://www.straight.com/news/430126/cam ... 6th-avenue
Attachments
depositphotos_31001991-Wealth---Earn-Money-Concept---Business-Cartoons-Vectors.jpg
depositphotos_31001991-Wealth---Earn-Money-Concept---Business-Cartoons-Vectors.jpg (36.59 KiB) Viewed 3905 times

westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:29 pm

Does North Burnaby have a plan? Is that plan an indication of a change in city planning? :roll:

"Cambie corridor planning could have an impact on 43,000 residents south of West 16th Avenue"

http://www.straight.com/news/430126/cam ... 6th-avenue
Yes: http://www.burnaby.ca/City-Services/Pol ... Plans.html. Scroll down for a list of all the communities in Burnaby, the Heights is here

jimtan
Real Estate Talker

Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:38 pm

:roll:

It's the plan from 1992, amended in 2008?

Any recent reviews? Any chance of light rail like the possibility down the Kerrisdale Corridor? :wink:
Attachments
depositphotos_31001991-Wealth---Earn-Money-Concept---Business-Cartoons-Vectors.jpg
depositphotos_31001991-Wealth---Earn-Money-Concept---Business-Cartoons-Vectors.jpg (36.59 KiB) Viewed 3858 times

tapioca
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:59 am

honestly, what is in Kits or the Westside? What is so great about it?

There is the beach, that's one thing...but buggered if i can think of anything else that can't be found elsewhere and got to far more easily. *shrugs*. And the pretentiousness of Kits is a major turn-off imo

tapioca
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 am

:roll:

It's the plan from 1992, amended in 2008?

Any recent reviews? Any chance of light rail like the possibility down the Kerrisdale Corridor? :wink:
ooh - look..flying pig :lol:

so interesting how people get so het up about the west side...hmm.

WhipMaster
Real Estate Talker

Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:43 am

Jim Tan to Whipmaster:
Thank you, Mr. Obvious. That's why people come to this forum. For expert RE advice!
...you're welcome Mr. Oblivious. :lol:
Hoo~Cudda~Not~Nod~ed????? :-)

jimtan
Real Estate Talker

Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:15 am

honestly, what is in Kits or the Westside? What is so great about it?

There is the beach, that's one thing...but buggered if i can think of anything else that can't be found elsewhere and got to far more easily. *shrugs*. And the pretentiousness of Kits is a major turn-off imo
Oh Dear!

For some strange reason, the artistic/culinary/cultural/intellectual center of the region tends to cluster near where the money is? Don't ask me why. :shock:

So, it matters to the people who think that these things matter. :o

That's why the Broadway corridor is so important. Connecting UBC to the Broadway shops and restaurants to Vancouver East. I would certainly visit Commercial Drive more often if there was a Broadway subway.

To understand Vancouver West, you must spend time there. UBC in the summer months. The beach stretching from Spanish Banks to Vanier Park. The villages of Kerrisdale, South Granville and Musqueam. The Pacific Spirit Park and Queen Elizabeth Park. As well as the Van Dusen Gardens. The large homes along SW Marine Drive (near golf clubs) that can be rezoned if a Kerrisdale light rail gets built. And so on...

For comparison, check out Surrey and North Burnaby! Very nice places I am sure with their local attractions. But, the good stuff tends to be concentrated in Vancouver West and the boundary with Vancouver East. :wink:
Jim Tan to Whipmaster:
Thank you, Mr. Obvious. That's why people come to this forum. For expert RE advice!
...you're welcome Mr. Oblivious. :lol:
You know that I look ahead and 360. I dislike being surprised (and wrong). :mrgreen:
Attachments
depositphotos_31001991-Wealth---Earn-Money-Concept---Business-Cartoons-Vectors.jpg (36.59 KiB) Viewed 3681 times

tapioca
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:19 am

oh jimtan, you're so insular. There's so much stuff over here too, we even have parks! and forests! and BC's foremost tech institution! and a university! and restaurants! and galleries! and beaches! and a lake! WUUUUT. That can't be right...only the west side has those! wuuuut...

it's like you guys think the world ends at Main. It's hilarious (and sad). I'm not dissing the west side, I mean, meh..who cares. I just think it's funny that the theme on this board seems to be west-side people looking down, still, on those who don't care about living there...but you still don't get that the center of the city is moving. It's changing. It is what it is.

Anyway, carry on. :lol:

rofina
Real Estate Talker

Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:03 am

oh jimtan, you're so insular. There's so much stuff over here too, we even have parks! and forests! and BC's foremost tech institution! and a university! and restaurants! and galleries! and beaches! and a lake! WUUUUT. That can't be right...only the west side has those! wuuuut...

it's like you guys think the world ends at Main. It's hilarious (and sad). I'm not dissing the west side, I mean, meh..who cares. I just think it's funny that the theme on this board seems to be west-side people looking down, still, on those who don't care about living there...but you still don't get that the center of the city is moving. It's changing. It is what it is.

Anyway, carry on. :lol:

Respectfully Tapioca, but you need to shush about NoBu! Dont want more West Side undesirables finding their way here and bidding things up even more… :wink:

Imagine what would happen if West Siders found out that areas past Main St have electricity and internet? Can't imagine the price run up.

Best we not talk of it…

thompson2
Real Estate Talker

Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:19 am

Haha, it seems like I have no chance to bring my Coquitlam into the discussion. :lol:

I always wondering the reason the houses around UBC worth so much must because of the delicious hot dog that sold in student's union. :lol: