This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Re: Who benefits most from Yes Vote?

Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:38 am

PST tax increase is fair.. Its taxing the rich. Poor people will not be affected, when they buy groceries or buy food from McDonalds, theres no effect. Meanwhile, when a millionaire buys a new lambhorgini, he will pay 0.5% more, which probably peanuts anyways.

The alternative choice to PST would be a property tax increase that is likely to be passed onto poor tenants and struggling middle class trying to meet their next mortgage payment.
Anybody who is "struggling" to pay their mortgage at these low (almost free) interest rates has made some very bad business decisions. Why should others worry about saving them from their own poor choices? When rates go up they will be losing their homes, end of story.

Wealthy folks already pay way more PST than anybody else, plus (often) higher income taxes, why not be really fair and make it "user pay" for all road and rail use. Car drivers could pay an annual vehicle tax, ideally based on personal mileage and size of vehicle. Why should somebody who makes little use of the roads or transit be forced to pay extra on all most every purchase in order to subsidize the folks who are using those facilities and services.

And don't tell me I'm using the roads because everything I buy is brought by road. That transportation cost is built into the purchase price and then I pay PST on top of that.

The constant call for so-called "wealthy people" to carry everybody else's expenses is grossly unfair. It punishes hard work and success.
In fond memory of Taipan, a model of modesty, decency, dignity and tolerance. Long may we all prosper from the tremendous legacy of worldly wisdom and specialized real estate knowledge which he left in the "Arguments" thread.

DAB
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:18 am

I would support a user-pays road pricing system.
The problem is the timing. It would take a decade to implement.
Only if Translink is in charge of implementing it...
What upsets me is the COMPASS card fiasco. $100 million budget. Now at almost $200 million ..and no signs of it being completed.
Will we end up writing it off?

What a waste!

outsider2k10
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:46 am

What upsets me is the COMPASS card fiasco. $100 million budget. Now at almost $200 million ..and no signs of it being completed.
Will we end up writing it off?

What a waste!
That is my problem as well because that is 200M could have spend on new Buses and skytrains.

Not to mention it cost 12M a year to run while the fare evasion is like 5m a year? How is it good business to spend 12M to recover 5M?

Those compass gates are nothing but annoying road block and it you have to wait the gate open/close to enter or exist sky train station. It will create different type congestion because most of sky train stations are too small. Just image people pack on the crossing bridge at Metrotown as they are waiting previous guy taps and crosses compass gate.