This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

Would you pay more taxes ...

... to improve the transport infrastructure.
3 (50%)
... or, until hell freezes over.
3 (50%)

Total votes: 6

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Time to get people and cars moving in Vancouver

Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:45 pm

The newly re-elected City Council is moving ahead on the transit referendum. Make sure you vote.

"Time to get people and cars moving in Vancouver

The spring referendum on transit and traffic in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia may well turn out to be more important than the region’s municipal elections last Saturday.

In June, 20 out of the 21 mayors of Metro Vancouver agreed to a highly promising proposal combining light rapid transit and “time- and distance-based” road tolls. The City of Vancouver hopes to include a subway along Broadway.

The B.C. government has insisted on a referendum before the plan goes ahead, while the federal government has not offered to lend a hand. The plan is to cost $7.5-billion over 10 years, but it’s far from clear where the money will come from. The provincial government is open to a regional carbon tax, but will not contribute from the province-wide carbon tax...

But the proponents can’t be complacent. Many people won’t like having to pay their existing property taxes, and paying for the use of the roads on top of that. Voters who drive need to be politely but firmly reminded that they don’t like sitting for hours in their idling vehicles, when they could be productively earning money – or enjoying life."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-de ... cmpid=rss1

Low taxes sound nice until the quality of life deteriorates. Fortunately, there are some leaders who are trying to catch up to the curve. To keep this the best place on earth.

How would you vote?

I'm in favor because I live downtown and my mileage is low. Even if I was a high mileage user, I would vote yes to more taxes for necessary improvements.
Attachments
depositphotos_31001991-Wealth---Earn-Money-Concept---Business-Cartoons-Vectors.jpg
depositphotos_31001991-Wealth---Earn-Money-Concept---Business-Cartoons-Vectors.jpg (36.59 KiB) Viewed 14384 times

WhipMaster
Real Estate Talker

Re: Time to get people and cars moving in Vancouver

Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:01 pm

no. we already pay far too much in taxes and the money is all misspent.
Road tolls????
So only the rich can travel??? Fawk them! :D
Hoo~Cudda~Not~Nod~ed????? :-)

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:41 pm

Hmmmm!

Vancouver already has the slowest traffic in Canada. You'll willing to let it get worst? Will the Chinese keep coming? :mrgreen:

[Chorus]

I'm stuck in traffic, watching the world passes by
Try to figure out why I'm stuck in traffic
Feels like I'm going nowhere
I wanna go, go, go,
Swear I wanna go, go, go
But I'm stuck in traffic

http://www.sing365.com/music/HotLyrics. ... 3B000C7B4E

westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:26 pm

I would vote no - we already pay plenty of taxes, more than enough to be able to run a city, and maintain roads. Perhaps the city is not spending the revenue they get on the right things... I would be surprised if this referendum passes, and the fact that the city wants to get it out while students are in town tells me that they know it. What happens if it does not?

How is it that other cities in Canada manage to maintain roads and provide transit from general tax revenues, without introducing additional taxes like this?

red_lantern
Real Estate Talker

Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:36 pm

Mayor Moombean grins while accepting his win....those donations from developers sure do wonders!
Now he will look at more higher property taxes to pay the city workers and to fund the UBC line construction. He will most likely toll every bridge.
Once he gets all the homeless off the street and next to all the expensive condos. His "vision" the middle class living amongst the dealers, the addicts and the mental addicted.

"mo money mo money"

I think there was a movie with that title with Wesley Snipes!!

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:10 pm

I would vote no - we already pay plenty of taxes, more than enough to be able to run a city, and maintain roads. Perhaps the city is not spending the revenue they get on the right things... I would be surprised if this referendum passes, and the fact that the city wants to get it out while students are in town tells me that they know it. What happens if it does not?

How is it that other cities in Canada manage to maintain roads and provide transit from general tax revenues, without introducing additional taxes like this?
I'll keep it simple for you. Can you say, " Mass Transit". :roll:

LR for Surrey. Underground for Vancouver along Broadway. We have to pay when the federal and provincial governments won't help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_ra ... it#History
Attachments
You are traffic.jpg
You are traffic.jpg (189.59 KiB) Viewed 14239 times

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:25 am

One of the best ways to reduce traffic gridlock would be to tear out Gregor's bike lanes. That would provide room for more buses and the reduced congestion would reduce pollution. :roll:

Forget more taxes. How about cutting some government fat instead?
In fond memory of Taipan, a model of modesty, decency, dignity and tolerance. Long may we all prosper from the tremendous legacy of worldly wisdom and specialized real estate knowledge which he left in the "Arguments" thread.

westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:09 am

I'll keep it simple for you. Can you say, " Mass Transit". :roll:

LR for Surrey. Underground for Vancouver along Broadway. We have to pay when the federal and provincial governments won't help.
I can say mass transit. So can every other municipality in Canada, or do you think that having to pay for transit and transit expansion is unique to Vancouver?

The provincial and/or federal governments have chipped into every major transit initiative that the GVRD has done since the building of the first skytrain. I don't know why that would change for any reasonable and important transit initiative in the future.

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:45 am

Hmmmm!

Apparently, you didn't read this...

"...The B.C. government has insisted on a referendum before the plan goes ahead, while the federal government has not offered to lend a hand. The plan is to cost $7.5-billion over 10 years, but it’s far from clear where the money will come from. The provincial government is open to a regional carbon tax, but will not contribute from the province-wide carbon tax..."

The conservatives are obsessed with fiscal surpluses. As you recall, Christy Clark wanted to create a surplus by cutting costs in education. However, she ended up paying a lot of money to the teachers and $30/day to the parents. Success!!!! :roll:

Personally, I think that the do-nothing conservatives in Ottawa and Victoria will cripple the province and the country. Meanwhile, Asian countries will leap pass Canada as their proactive governments create ambitious targets. Investing in infrastructure and people.

Never mind! There's nothing wrong with being an Asian colony.
Attachments
depositphotos_31001991-Wealth---Earn-Money-Concept---Business-Cartoons-Vectors.jpg
depositphotos_31001991-Wealth---Earn-Money-Concept---Business-Cartoons-Vectors.jpg (36.59 KiB) Viewed 14131 times

westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:47 am

Hmmmm!

Apparently, you didn't read this...

"...The B.C. government has insisted on a referendum before the plan goes ahead, while the federal government has not offered to lend a hand. The plan is to cost $7.5-billion over 10 years, but it’s far from clear where the money will come from. The provincial government is open to a regional carbon tax, but will not contribute from the province-wide carbon tax..."

The conservatives are obsessed with fiscal surpluses. As you recall, Christy Clark wanted to create a surplus by cutting costs in education. However, she ended up paying a lot of money to the teachers and $30/day to the parents. Success!!!! :roll:

Personally, I think that the do-nothing conservatives in Ottawa and Victoria will cripple the province and the country. Meanwhile, Asian countries will leap pass Canada as their proactive governments create ambitious targets. Investing in infrastructure and people.

Never mind! There's nothing wrong with being an Asian colony.
I did read that, and good for the government - if you're going to help fund a transit initiative that is highly controversial and requires a brand new tax, you'd better make sure that the populace supports it before doing so. Just because the province is not contributing from the carbon tax does not mean that they will not contribute at some point, especially if the referendum succeeds. I have no doubt that both the feds and province will eventually chip in.

Good for the conservatives being obsessed with fiscal surpluses, any government should strive to spend less than they collect. Or do you think its a good model to continuously spend more than you bring in?

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:51 am

Good for the conservatives being obsessed with fiscal surpluses, any government should strive to spend less than they collect. Or do you think its a good model to continuously spend more than you bring in?
Yes, if the spending is to create long term jobs and tax revenue; and maintain a minimum level of civilization. :mrgreen:

What is the point of a senior government if it doesn't provide proactive and national leadership?

You may hope that Victoria and Ottawa chips in some money. But, their contribution won't be based on rational strategy.

Suggest you spend time away from your codes, and read about comparative advantage. Countries without natural resources create and use their industrial advantage as a process of increasing value added. Other countries live off their natural resources until the tap runs dry. That day may come sooner than you think.
:roll:
Attachments
Average_Price_of_West_Texas_Intermediate_Crude_Oil.jpg
Average_Price_of_West_Texas_Intermediate_Crude_Oil.jpg (73.77 KiB) Viewed 14093 times

westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:01 pm

Yes, if the spending is to create long term jobs and tax revenue; and maintain a minimum level of civilization. :mrgreen:

What is the point of a senior government if it doesn't provide proactive and national leadership?
What is the point of a government if it spends itself into debt it cannot manage in order to provide jobs and tax revenue? Ask Japan/Italy/Spain/Greece/Portugal/France what the cost of maintaining "civilization" is. What "leadership" are they showing by fast approaching insolvency? How is it beneficial to spend $5 in order to generate $2 in revenue?

You may hope that Victoria and Ottawa chips in some money. But, their contribution won't be based on rational strategy.

Suggest you spend time away from your codes, and read about comparative advantage. Countries without natural resources create and use their industrial advantage as a process of increasing value added. Other countries live off their natural resources until the tap runs dry. That day may come sooner than you think.
:roll:
Countries without natural resources import them from countries that have them. I am not worried about Canada running dry in your lifetime, or my lifetime, or the lifetime of my kids. Although it may vary from time to time, I am equally unworried about waning global demand for those resources.

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:45 pm

The elephant in the room is the recent news about cold fusion. If it really works and if it can be scaled up, look out. Such a breakthrough in cheap energy would turn this world on its head, all conventional bets are off as society changes in ways we probably can't imagine.

A couple of small examples come to mind:

Cheap desalination of sea water could transform desserts into productive farmland, feeding the world and reducing food prices for all, and perhaps fixing global CO2 levels at the same time.

The cost of finding, mining, refining and transporting minerals would plunge, once again many products would see their manufacturing and delivery costs drop dramatically as massive new supplies of minerals and other resources become economically viable.

A surge in living standards might even distract some groups away from killing each other. Perhaps peace in the Middle East could actually happen if everybody had a full belly and a decent standard of living.

The world was transformed by the industrial revolution, success with cold fusion would create much bigger changes around the globe. Who would be the winners and who would be the losers in the great transition? :shock:
In fond memory of Taipan, a model of modesty, decency, dignity and tolerance. Long may we all prosper from the tremendous legacy of worldly wisdom and specialized real estate knowledge which he left in the "Arguments" thread.

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:04 pm

What is the point of a government if it spends itself into debt it cannot manage in order to provide jobs and tax revenue? Ask Japan/Italy/Spain/Greece/Portugal/France what the cost of maintaining "civilization" is. What "leadership" are they showing by fast approaching insolvency? How is it beneficial to spend $5 in order to generate $2 in revenue?

... Countries without natural resources import them from countries that have them. I am not worried about Canada running dry in your lifetime, or my lifetime, or the lifetime of my kids. Although it may vary from time to time, I am equally unworried about waning global demand for those resources.

Countries that throw money away have no strategy. In contrast, Japan has supported hybrid cars in the past. Japan is now the #1 hybrid car (Prius) brand. Currently, Japan is supporting fuel cell cars (hydrogen) in hopes that this will put them ahead in the future.

The tricky part is that you need to be rational and courageous in order to make good strategy.

“... The much-maligned government program that funded the failed solar tech company Solyndra is expected to make taxpayers a $5 to $6 billion return, Bloomberg Businessweek reported on Wednesday.

The loan program is run out of the Department of Energy (DOE), and covers a large umbrella of investments to encourage green energy and low-carbon technologies. According to Businessweek, the expected positive returns on those investments are detailed in a new report DOE will be releasing, perhaps as early as Thursday, on the loan program’s performance — the first such estimate the agency has made of the fruits of its efforts.

The program has the authority to spend as much as $40 billion, and has allocated $32.4 billion of that to a portfolio with dozens of specific projects. Half of the $32.4 billion has already been paid out, in loans that average a 22-year lifecycle. The Energy Department expects the full $5 to $6 billion return to come in over that total time period...

The portfolio’s losses only amount to $780 million so far, and they aren’t expected to rise above $2 billion once everything is said and done — a fraction of the $10 billion in losses the government anticipated when it originally designed the program.

This stands in stark contrast to the image critics painted of the program. In 2011, the solar tech company Solyndra collapsed after receiving $528 million from the program, setting off a political feeding frenzy and embarrassing the White House.

In the 2012 presidential campaign, Republican candidate Mitt Romney said he thought “about half” the businesses the program invested in had gone out of business. On Tuesday, Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) declared that “most of these companies are bankrupt and are no longer in existence, and the taxpayer is left holding the bag.” In point of fact, as of November 2012 only three companies out of several dozen had folded, though a few others were facing financial difficulties...”

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/1 ... am-profit/
Attachments
Donkey Braying. Photo copyright of The Donkey Sanctuary.jpg
Donkey Braying. Photo copyright of The Donkey Sanctuary.jpg (167.57 KiB) Viewed 14008 times

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:15 pm

... Countries without natural resources import them from countries that have them. I am not worried about Canada running dry in your lifetime, or my lifetime, or the lifetime of my kids. Although it may vary from time to time, I am equally unworried about waning global demand for those resources.
Actually, I was talking about the money from oil and gas. As I have explained, quite likely that oil will return to the 1990s price of $20 per barrel (constant dollars) once solar power is cheaper than fossil fuel in most US states. Solar power is a technology that is getting cheaper every year by 5-10%. :shock:

"The average cost of solar panels per watt has dropped from $75 in 1972 to $1 today, and could continue to decrease...."

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/coming-sol ... 33439.html

At that price level, oil sands is doomed. What will Canada have as a growth generator once that happens? :mrgreen:

In contrast, China is the #1 manufacturer of solar panels, and the future is bright (pun intended). So wake up. :roll:

Fortunately, the Asians are around.

http://604now.com/2014/11/ubc-commences ... e-program/
Attachments
depositphotos_31001991-Wealth---Earn-Money-Concept---Business-Cartoons-Vectors.jpg (36.59 KiB) Viewed 13982 times