This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

HomelessinSD
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

10 Years at RET

Thu May 22, 2014 1:19 pm

Feeling old – 10 years ago I signed up for an account on Real Estate Talks. And while there has been periods where I looked at the site almost daily, I’ve also gone months without checking in. Looking back at the evolution of this forum (not necessarily the real estate market):

10 years ago, the site was closely moderated. Off topic posts were removed (this post would be moved or deleted as off topic), unacceptable behavior resulted in suspensions or permanent bans, and there was significant discussion about the market including calculations using actual examples of properties and neighbourhoods.

During the mid 2000’s, the forum polarized into bear and bull camps. Much less moderation, some childish name calling (I’m not innocent of this either), but still some relevant discussion and arguments made by both sides.

By the late 2000’s, almost all meaningful discussions were lost. No moderation and the forum was dominated by a select few posters who mostly engaged in juvenile acts of cyberbullying with insults being hurled back and forth.

In the early 2010’s, the forum was pretty quiet – just a few posters who continued personal feuds likely out of boredom for cheap entertainment. Majority of topics and posts had almost nothing at all to do with BC Real Estate.

Last couple of years, it’s seems to be either one poster talking to himself or obscure references about China. Other than for entertainment value, hard to see why any intelligent, decent person would bother trying to discuss relevant real estate in this abusive, unmoderated forum.

It is a bit of a shame that the forum deteriorated so badly, but such is life. Wading through much of the noise, insults, unnecessary filler, there have been some very useful insight – some of it has proved to dead wrong, some obscured during the delivery of the message, and some (rarely, at least in the past 7 years) provided in a clear, succinct fashion.

All in all, I’ve taken a few lessons away from popping into the forum over the past few years – for which I’d like to thank the community:

If you make an apology, be sincere, own it, and don’t make excuses. This is helped me immensely in my both my personal and professional life.

Ignore function can be a good tool, but doesn’t really work because you have to log in. So implement your own ignore function and never respond to the trolls no matter how tempted you are.

Bulls and bears have both offered the same good advice: Make the best long term decision based on your own set of circumstances. Delivery of the message obviously varies.

Some of you have been here longer than me, while some probably didn't get to experience the forum back in 2004 - 2006. I'd be interested if my recollection on how the forum has evolved is similar to other who have been around a while.

WhipMaster
Real Estate Talker

Re: 10 Years at RET

Thu May 22, 2014 2:24 pm

This forum is Crash'trd driven. Anyone who is truly interested in the topic of real estate should be able to listen to both sides of an argument in a civil fashion. What used to drive this forum was the disrespectful and impolite behaviour of some disgruntled forum members who preferred to bash real estate rather than discuss topics. Mr. Market has put a stop to that!

You HomelessinSD, wore your moniker like a badge of honour and thought you had superior knowledge. Much to your ignorance, I guess you figured that your experience as a homeowner in San Diego qualified you to be an expert on our real estate. We had to listen to your endless condescending dissertations on how, "it wasn't different here", and "whatever goes up, has to come down".... blah, blah, blah. You have been proven to be w.r.o.n.g. Same as the other uninformed, know it all idiots.

The reason it's quiet is that the Crash'trds are now the Crush'trds. The market has gone exactly the opposite of how you said it would. How come none of you idiots can admit that you were w.r.o.n.g.? How come none of you can apologize to the rest of the forum for subjecting us to such hubris and mockery? :shock:

Stop whining about how you don't like how the forum has ended up and apologize for your contribution to making the forum
what it has evolved into today. You are every bit to blame. :lol:

What are you? A man or a mouse? You are not the victim. :shock:
Hoo~Cudda~Not~Nod~ed????? :-)

scoobydoo
Real Estate Talker

Thu May 22, 2014 2:53 pm

This forum is Crash'trd driven. Anyone who is truly interested in the topic of real estate should be able to listen to both sides of an argument in a civil fashion. What used to drive this forum was the disrespectful and impolite behaviour of some disgruntled forum members who preferred to bash real estate rather than discuss topics. Mr. Market has put a stop to that!

You HomelessinSD, wore your moniker like a badge of honour and thought you had superior knowledge. Much to your ignorance, I guess you figured that your experience as a homeowner in San Diego qualified you to be an expert on our real estate. We had to listen to your endless condescending dissertations on how, "it wasn't different here", and "whatever goes up, has to come down".... blah, blah, blah. You have been proven to be w.r.o.n.g. Same as the other uninformed, know it all idiots.

The reason it's quiet is that the Crash'trds are now the Crush'trds. The market has gone exactly the opposite of how you said it would. How come none of you idiots can admit that you were w.r.o.n.g.? How come none of you can apologize to the rest of the forum for subjecting us to such hubris and mockery? :shock:

Stop whining about how you don't like how the forum has ended up and apologize for your contribution to making the forum
what it has evolved into today. You are every bit to blame. :lol:

What are you? A man or a mouse? You are not the victim. :shock:
I think you just proved his point...

reallyreal
Real Estate Talker

Thu May 22, 2014 2:58 pm

it is tiring...

Near7
Real Estate Talker

Thu May 22, 2014 3:59 pm

It was bound to happen, It's not being moderated and an idiot like chow mein Whip floods the threads with non sense and BS. Actually he owns this forum it's 25% of his "insights" lol
Do you know of a better RE forum???

InvestorRelations
Real Estate Talker

Thu May 22, 2014 4:12 pm

There is potential here, but somebody (thoughtful) needs to drive it. There are currently no decent blogs on Vancouver real estate. The bear blogs are all mostly dead. VCI is an extremist mess. VREAA was at one time useful, in that at least it was civil and some of the bears occasionally had relevant insights/comments.

This one is not bad:

http://vancouverpeak.com/showthread.php?tid=5256

Bearish and slanted towards Sunshine Coast but the link above features some interesting research on the Sixth + Willow development.

I'm actually interested in another property but I'm interested enough that I don't want to post it. :)

I do like looking at other people's deals though.

Austin
Real Estate Talker

Thu May 22, 2014 6:49 pm

Yeah, generally you need an active moderator to keep a forum alive. What happened is that this forum was pretty good at one point, and then the moderation vanished and it slowly fell apart until this last death rattle.
Redistribute consumption, not income.

jimtan
Real Estate Talker

Thu May 22, 2014 10:43 pm

Not totally useless. 60k views of the climate change thread. Must be educational watching the bears crash and burn. :mrgreen:

tedeastside
Real Estate Talker

Fri May 23, 2014 2:00 am

what was whipmasters old name on this forum before he changed it

WhipMaster
Real Estate Talker

Fri May 23, 2014 7:13 am

hahahaha.... what's this a Mutiny of the Miscreants ?... 8)
All the forums have been taken over by the Crash'trds and ruined. Why? Cuz participants in the real world of real estate are too busy doing real estate to waste time with a bunch of armchair loser wannabe, know~it~alls. So they left me here to hold off the charge of the "Bright Brigade".

There may be hope for y'all yet, Arthur Fonzarelli stopped defiling the crib. He changed his tune and his atti~tune.

....IR...VancouverPeak.com?...fawk. Grow up. "The Bear army has drawn Bovine blood"....fawk.

BrainlessinSD:
Feeling old – 10 years ago I signed up for an account on Real Estate Talks.
...I would feel old too if I was wrong everyyyyy fawkinnnnn dayyyyy. It must be tough waking up everyday and realizing you ain't so smart as you thought huh?

Hoocuddanotnode? :lol:

westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Fri May 23, 2014 9:08 am

Not totally useless. 60k views of the climate change thread. Must be educational watching the bears crash and burn. :mrgreen:
Its where we're all getting our entertainment from these days...

Waldo
Real Estate Talker

Fri May 23, 2014 11:43 am

I dug up one of homelessinSD's comments that's soaking wet with irony
that's the beauty of arrogance. The offenders don't usually realize how much of a prick they come off as.

HomelessinSD
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Fri May 23, 2014 12:18 pm

Hey ETB (now posting as Waldo),

Care to post the entire post of mine and then reference to arrogant part of my post within this topic?

WhipMaster
Real Estate Talker

Fri May 23, 2014 3:20 pm

HomelessinSD:
that's the beauty of arrogance. The offenders don't usually realize how much of a prick they come off as.
...haw! haw! haw! :mrgreen:

jesse1
Real Estate Talker

Sat May 24, 2014 4:48 am

Other than for entertainment value, hard to see why any intelligent, decent person would bother trying to discuss relevant real estate in this abusive, unmoderated forum.
The best thing I learned here is how to write ambiguously. Otherwise yes, mild entertainment. I have now mostly moved out of the 1990s forums, 2000s blogs, and into the 2010s on twitter @yvrhousing , but it is important not to completely ignore those solely stuck in various eras.
There is no shame in overpaying