This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Canadians eager to buy!!!!

Thu May 23, 2013 8:35 pm

Yet, they buy?

Slowdown? Nearly half of Canadian homeowners eager to buy property

"Undeterred by record-high housing prices and bolstered by low borrowing costs, nearly half of Canadian home owners plan to buy a property in the next five years, although intentions vary sharply from city to city, a poll released Wednesday has found.

According to a Bank of Montreal survey, 45 per cent of Canadian homeowners surveyed this spring are looking to buy a place in the next five years, a level that did not change from the fall of 2012. The percentage of homeowners planning to buy in the next year also remained stable, edging 1 per cent higher to 7 per cent...

Canadians in Calgary were least eager to buy, with intentions there dropping by 13 points from the fall of 2012 while those in Atlantic Canada were the most eager, with buying intentions rising 15 points. Intent to buy among homeowners in Vancouver climbed by 5 points and in Toronto by 2 points...

House prices hit an average national record high of $380,588 in April, according to the latest data from the Canadian Real Estate Association...

Among those surveyed, 7 per cent expect house prices will fall over the next year, 32 per cent said they will stay the same and 53 per cent said they expect them to rise. The remainder said they did not know.

The BMO survey also asked homeowners if they have cut back their spending or dipped into their savings to make their monthly mortgage payments. It found that the number of people who needed to do so has fallen 10 points from last fall to 45 per cent this spring."

Enjoy

registered
Real Estate Talker

Re: Canadians eager to buy!!!!

Fri May 24, 2013 3:20 am

Canadians eager to sell!!!!
by Walkabout Jim » 24/7 9:35 pm

Yet, they buy?

Slowdown? Nearly half of Canadian homeowners eager to sell property

"Undeterred by record-high housing prices and bolstered by low borrowing costs, nearly half of Canadian home owners plan to sell a property in the next five years, although intentions vary sharply from city to city, a poll released Wednesday has found.

According to a Bank of Montreal survey, 45 per cent of Canadian homeowners surveyed this spring are looking to buy a place in the next five years. In a complete lack of news (see 'Slowdown?' above), the level that did not change from the fall of 2012. The percentage of homeowners planning to buy in the next year also remained stable, edging 1 per cent higher to 7 per cent...

Needs more hyperbolic exclamation marks.
the dogs bark but the caravan moves on

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Fri May 24, 2013 8:23 pm

Yet, they buy?

Stop making things up. You're worse than timber.

No surprise that you have been wrong for years.

Foreigners buying. Locals buying. Immigrants buying. So few selling.

There's just no chance for you to own a Vancouver West house on $30k a year. Perhaps, you should get a second job?

:mrgreen:

jesse1
Real Estate Talker

Fri May 24, 2013 9:30 pm

There is no shame in overpaying

timber2012
Real Estate Talker

Sat May 25, 2013 4:53 am

Yet, they buy?

Stop making things up. You're worse than timber.

No surprise that you have been wrong for years.

Foreigners buying. Locals buying. Immigrants buying. So few selling.

There's just no chance for you to own a Vancouver West house on $30k a year. Perhaps, you should get a second job?

We are at record high inventory levels - yet you say "so few selling" in the conext that they aren't willing to sell. I guess so few selling in the sense that nobody is willing to buy their product might be more accurate.

Maybe time for another prance through your cherry picked neighbourhood. Keep your eyes open this time.
George Carlin once said "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

fishguy15
Real Estate Talker

Sat May 25, 2013 6:41 am

Stop making things up.
I don't think it's a case of making things up, rather than it's pure common sense. Of those 50% of homeowners (which is the key word) who are eager to buy, how many will be purchasing a second property?

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Sat May 25, 2013 7:08 am

We are at record high inventory levels - yet you say "so few selling" in the conext that they aren't willing to sell. I guess so few selling in the sense that nobody is willing to buy their product might be more accurate.
Record high? You obviously weren't around in 2009. Ohhh! I forgot. Facts don't matter to you.

Stop making things up.
I don't think it's a case of making things up, rather than it's pure common sense. Of those 50% of homeowners (which is the key word) who are eager to buy, how many will be purchasing a second property?
Go and find out before you jump to conclusions.

:wink:

Young Jessie. I doubt that you remember the original screening of Charade, Dr. No and Our Man Flint

:roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVYPGJbc ... re=related

thirdlittlepig
Real Estate Talker

Sat May 25, 2013 7:42 am

Whatever the percentage of babyboomers and geriatrics out there (I'm guessing around 40%), they are going to be downsizing, or just moving to some different location as they retire, or expire. They no longer need that family sized home, or to live close to work and want to get away from it all, or get a condo or smaller home with less maintenance, maybe travel. So it's not surpirsing they might want to buy. They will also be selling or renting their previous home. Either way when a large part of the population downsizes, there might be plenty of "buyers" but its just a game of musical chairs as people shift from one location to another, and doesn't generate a lot of business except perhaps for the second hand furniture dealers, and some business for the second hand real estate agents. Not likely this is going to create a boom in housing construction, since there's plenty of excess out there now. For those few getting into the market, many of them are going to do the math and realize that renting is an economical alternative and allows them the freedom to change location easily if their work or family situation changes, i.e. job change, marriage, new baby, divorce, life has a lot of curve balls these days to commit to 25 years of being shackled to a bloated morgage payment, doesn't make a lot of cents.
I am seeing some amazing deals around here in the okanagan. Nice little acreages in lovely neighborhoods, discounted %50- $100K (anywhere from 10 to 20% easily just in the last year, on top of previous year's discounts. Yet sales are still sluggish, but have picked up from stagnant.

registered
Real Estate Talker

Sat May 25, 2013 7:58 am

Jimbo's casual acquaintance with the art of arithmetic is well know, but on footware....

8)

registered
Real Estate Talker

Sat May 25, 2013 8:00 am

Whatever the percentage of babyboomers and geriatrics out there (I'm guessing around 40%).....
My guess is of those I know in that situation (age 70+) none downsided on their own accord. Maybe 5% due to personal financial mismanagement or tragedy.

WhipMaster
Real Estate Talker

Sat May 25, 2013 8:10 am

Jesse, best video i have seen in a long time. :mrgreen:
Hoo~Cudda~Not~Nod~ed????? :-)

thirdlittlepig
Real Estate Talker

Sat May 25, 2013 5:00 pm

Maybe people are more mobile here in the okanagan. When I look around my neighborhood at least half the homes have changed owners, so someone downsized, or are in a better place now. Roughly 4% of the homes are for sale in any given year, so that's a fair number as each year goes by, who are wishing they were living somewhere else, or just wanting to unload those "investments". Whether they are selling due to finacial or tragedy, or just the large number of job losses, or looking to finance their retirement or their assisted living, or too elderly to keep their driver's license, doesn't really matter, life changes, stuff happens.

thirdlittlepig
Real Estate Talker

Sat May 25, 2013 5:05 pm

I can remember when my kids were in school, they were among a very small minority of kids whose parents had not divorced, I don't know how common that is elsewhere . I also recall in the classrooms that about 10% of the kids in any class would move in or out in any given year. That's a pretty mobile group, again I don't know how widespread that is.

fishguy15
Real Estate Talker

Sat May 25, 2013 5:54 pm

Go and find out before you jump to conclusions.
Why? You're the one questioning how many homeowners would be selling. Tool!!!

jesse1
Real Estate Talker

Sat May 25, 2013 6:26 pm

Go and find out
If you do go and find out fish, if you bump into ol 'Jim, take some advice from the pros:
There is no shame in overpaying