This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

leftside
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Alternatives to using a realtor or using a discount realtor?

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:55 am

I have no problems with realtors, but the "standard" fees on selling my house (7% first 100k, 2.5% rest) would be very high - too high imo. A 1-2% fee is much more realistic. On a $1,000,000 house at 1% that is still $10,000 and at 2% that is $20,000!

So, I am considering other options. Once a fee has been agreed with a buyer, I know a lawyer who will handle all the paperwork. What other options would you guys consider? Here are some that I can think of:

- bc.onepercentrealty.ca
- Craigslist
- myrealty.ca

timber2012
Real Estate Talker

Re: Alternatives to using a realtor or using a discount real

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:51 am

The real estate industry is a cartel.

Probably better to just play their game. Your leverage point is when all the work is done anyways and you're ready to sign on the dotted line - that is when you re-negotiate the commission. Also - do a detailed review on the listing agreement and don't be shy to change it for your benefit.

Remember - a sale is really 3 or more separate transactions. You and buyer. You and your realtor. Buyer and his/her realtor. The pie is only so big and everybody is gaming to get the biggest piece possible.
George Carlin once said "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

thirdlittlepig
Real Estate Talker

Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:36 pm

If the market is going through a bit of a decline, let's say 5% in the next six months to a year, and you Do It Yourself and thereby miss making a quick and timely sale or negotiating the best possible price in order to get a sale, you could easily lose as much as you think you are saving in not having to pay realtor fees. The risk of delaying sale by not working the system to the maximum benefit could cost you quite a bit. But you have probably already considered this and decided it's worth the risk, so, Good luck to ya.

WhipMaster
Real Estate Talker

Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:38 pm

bchomesforsale.com :mrgreen:
Hoo~Cudda~Not~Nod~ed????? :-)

Thompson
Real Estate Talker

Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:57 pm

I always use realtor to sell my properties. Too many hassle, and probably you get less money then using realtor. :mrgreen:
I saw it happened many times before for the people I know.

silverman
Real Estate Talker

Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:42 pm

I have no problems with realtors
Just don't compromise the buyers agent fees

leftside
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Wed May 01, 2013 8:49 am

Good points for me to consider. Thanks.