This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

ArthurFonzarelli
Real Estate Talker

Re: NDP in May - how bad for RE?

Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:06 pm

I don't think you know what you're talking about, Warren.
I guess you have a short memory. Read my post. I said it's the perception (by the public and corporate community) more than any policies they enact. But when they start, it's a snowballing mess. Remember the 90s when they bailed out mills and whatnot in the interior? Hundreds of millions of $$. Great job guys.
I was mostly just talking about the fact that the Liberals just raised those specific taxes that you were saying the NDP would raise so it's actually done already. And to your point about sentiment I actually do agree with you... it doesn't matter what the NDP does, their historical baggage and perceptions will dog them. How much business community uprising was there when the Liberals increased corporate taxes and high income earner taxes last month? Practically nothing. Actually, nothing. It was even lauded as being necessary to balance the budget! Had the NDP done that it would have been blasted by every business organization in B.C. and a handful would have probably relocated just out of spite. I'm only half kidding.

Austin
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:44 pm

Hopefully the NDP see density as the solution to high RE prices and not something else.
Redistribute consumption, not income.

jesse1
Real Estate Talker

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:20 pm

Hopefully the NDP see density as the solution to high RE prices and not something else.
There is no shame in overpaying

semven
Real Estate Talker

Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:49 pm

I think the irony of the NDPs return is lost on some....We crucified Clark for the Fast Cats..The Libs employed more Germans than Hitler to build the Superferries and now with he Libs demise we are gushing about a federal shipbuilding contract and trying not to be disappointed that Halifax is going to be building more ships for the Feds than we will.
I wondrer if Gordie Campbell hadnt sent so many Canadian Dollars to Germany would we have fared better than Halifax did???

semven
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:40 pm

I wonder if an increase in Union Labourers in the Lower Mainland would be good for RE?.....

rofina
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:50 pm

I wonder if an increase in Union Labourers in the Lower Mainland would be good for RE?.....
I see how it could be.

As far as labour laws are concerned, Vancouver is like the wild west. Workers could really benefit from strong, fair unions representing them, particularly in the private sector.

Austin
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:48 am

Unions are great for you if you currently have a job in a necessary field (teacher, nurse, garbage disposal, etc) .. but suck otherwise and are terrible for the economy as a whole. Nobody wants to takes risks or expand with the threat of unions.

Unions are for places like China. In BC we have minimum wage, free medicare, and reasonable transit tax credits. We also have things like "Glassdoor". If you don't like your job, go on and anonymously complain about it so other people know to avoid it.

There is absolutely no need for unions in BC.

The only thing I think people can reasonably complain about is a lack of RE density in Vancouver. People joke about 'over building', but really, the over building is exactly what we need (preferably 3 bedrooms apartments along the skytrain though).
Redistribute consumption, not income.

HomelessinSD
Real Estate Talker

Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:43 am

[quote="Austin"]A higher corporate tax will increase the unemployment rate as corporations decide to leave / not to locate here.

I typed a long response to how flawed your theory is. Then decided that there is would really be no point to post it: in theory, consumption taxes make sense but they could never replace a conventional tax system in a country like Canada. If you truly believe otherwise, you are either stupid, high, or delusional.

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:49 am

A higher corporate tax will increase the unemployment rate as corporations decide to leave / not to locate here.

I typed a long response to how flawed your theory is. Then decided that there is would really be no point to post it: in theory, consumption taxes make sense but they could never replace a conventional tax system in a country like Canada. If you truly believe otherwise, you are either stupid, high, or delusional.
Well that was a pretty compelling counter argument, you've convinced me.
In fond memory of Taipan, a model of modesty, decency, dignity and tolerance. Long may we all prosper from the tremendous legacy of worldly wisdom and specialized real estate knowledge which he left in the "Arguments" thread.

RiskArb
Real Estate Talker

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:35 am

The NDP will be disastrous for real estate prices..... so I hope they win :D

What's in store with an NDP win?

- They'll coddle BC's already bloated public sector and cave on union negotiations leading to increased deficits, borrowings and ratings downgrades
- More corporate evisceration - we'll lose the 3 companies that haven't yet pulled stakes and moved to TO/Calgary.
- The natural resource sector will plunge back into remission.... not that it really got off the ground anyways
- Nurses will make $156/hour. Why? because it's healthcare.... and you can never through enough money at healthcare.
- Teachers charged with misconduct will remain gainfully employed and earn more than the Telus CEO.
- UBC will forced to set-up a campus in Chilliwack so every person capable of farm labour can now get a UBC degree
- My friends will continue to yammer on about the Canucks to make up for a life completely absent any type of achievement or intellectual stimulation.
- Desperate for an economic 'win', the NDP will coordinate a high profile trade mission to China not realizing they're 15 years late on the China business cycle.
- A leaky condo scandal at Millenium Water will happen on their watch. The NDP will set up a new fund guaranteeing homeowners for all the losses
- Sensing apologetic pushovers in Victoria, the Musqueam Nation will stake a claim on all of the Lower Mainland and take their case to the Hague.
- Lots of people will do eco-sustainable sh*t, making BC the green-economy hub of north america...... whatever that means
- With an open-door, politically-correct populace, BC will welcome even more children and parents of corrupt Chinese officials. Most will earn extra cash by standing in line at Rennie Condo launches
- etc etc

So yeah, if the Liberals keep power, I'm calling RE prices to moderate by 20% on average.....if NDP win, it's closer to 40%.... and all that nasty sh*t above

Waldo
Real Estate Talker

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:23 pm

exactly. If you're renting you'd do well to vote NDP. Look at the Liberal track record on housing value increases since 2001, it's priced most of us out of the market. Guess who I'm voting for?

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:53 pm

A word of caution to potential NDP voters. It's really hard to get a mortgage when you don't have a job.
In fond memory of Taipan, a model of modesty, decency, dignity and tolerance. Long may we all prosper from the tremendous legacy of worldly wisdom and specialized real estate knowledge which he left in the "Arguments" thread.

jesse1
Real Estate Talker

Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:08 am

Lolz on the NDP fearmongering, RET! I never would have suspected the entrepreneurial spirit and the health of a fundamentally sound investment to be so dependent upon our lords and masters.

A small anecdotal sidebar: my industry, under the reign of the People's Party, did so well it became legend. After the NDP was voted out the .com crash happened. But ere that, the 1990s were overly kind to me and my colleagues, despite

Was the NDP responsible? In that case, no. Something to chew on.
There is no shame in overpaying

Warren12
Real Estate Talker

Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:07 am

A small anecdotal sidebar: my industry, under the reign of the People's Party, did so well it became legend. After the NDP was voted out the .com crash happened. But ere that, the 1990s were overly kind to me and my colleagues, despite
Shipbuilding?

BC was a "have not" province during the 90s, which was essentially a huge boom decade for the rest of North America. That's why it is referred to as the "lost decade". Obviously you can't blame the BC government for things like the dot com crash, 9/11, and the mortgage crash. You can only hope they do a decent job of managing them. I think the BC Liberals have done a pretty good job handling these issues. The party itself is rotten from the inside out, and needs a sound trashing at the voting booth and 4 (hopefully not 8) years to rebuild.

In the meantime, the last time the NDP was in power they managed to fail in spite of the prevailing favorable economic conditions.

People either have rose colored glasses or choose to ignore the past. I remember looking around at other areas of the country, the federal government, or around the US and being downright embarrassed to be in BC.

Edit: I should also mention, the 90s were the height of the capital flood from Hong Kong, with many landing in BC.

thinktom
Real Estate Talker

Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:38 am

So yeah, if the Liberals keep power, I'm calling RE prices to moderate by 20% on average.....if NDP win, it's closer to 40%.... and all that nasty sh*t above
Some of you bears will say anything to keep 'the great RE crash' hopes alive.