This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Re: Canadian house prices to slip then likely stagnate for y

Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:30 pm

yup, where is Vanpro? Told him it's Chinese, but he insisted Chinese have no money even buy a decent lunch. :lol:
Its become quite clear that this is the issue.

What bother me more is that government at all levels refuses to keep track of the actual numbers.

Why are we not able to have a fact based discussion, around hard numbers?
it's a conspiracy, a f**cking conspiracy I say :lol:

thompson2
Real Estate Talker

Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:45 pm

yup, where is Vanpro? Told him it's Chinese, but he insisted Chinese have no money even buy a decent lunch. :lol:

What bother me more is that government at all levels refuses to keep track of the actual numbers.

I don't blame governments. Beside the "political right" issue, it is difficult for people to distinguish those "chinese canadian ", "chinese immigrant", from pure "foreign chinese". It is funny to read those news that conflict each other. :P

But if you can put every type of Chinese togethe you should get a whole picture: "yup, it is Chinese." :mrgreen:

thompson2
Real Estate Talker

Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:49 pm

it's a conspiracy, a f**cking conspiracy I say :lol:
Here we go... :lol:
Conspiracy or not, go to any open house and start to account the number of Chinese, that may tell you something.

WhipMaster
Real Estate Talker

Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:51 pm

Thompson:
Conspiracy or not, go to any open house and start to account the number of Chinese, that may tell you something.
....hahahaha....just like we said in the past, right Thompson? Open yer fawkin' eyes and see and think for yourself. Then you will have a clue. :D
Hoo~Cudda~Not~Nod~ed????? :-)

WhipMaster
Real Estate Talker

Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:57 pm

Rofina:
...cuz there's no such thing as "hard numbers". There are only half truths. It's up to you to figure it out. Nobody is gonna tell you. Government is gonna lie to you cuz they have their own agenda.

Look at all the graphs, and data, and hard facts, you guys brought up in the past. How come they didn't predict a correct conclusion back in the day? Because you guys were missing some other facts that you would have to actually get off yer asses to find, is why. :lol:

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:00 pm

Rofina:
...cuz there's no such thing as "hard numbers". There are only half truths. It's up to you to figure it out. Nobody is gonna tell you. Government is gonna lie to you cuz they have their own agenda.

Look at all the graphs, and data, and hard facts, you guys brought up in the past. How come they didn't predict a correct conclusion back in the day? Because you guys were missing some other facts that you would have to actually get off yer asses to find, is why. :lol:
I agree. The facts which they can't ever accurately account for are the herd instinct and stupidity. The lemmings all rush over the cliff because all their pals are doing it ... so it must be the smart thing to do. :D
In fond memory of Taipan, a model of modesty, decency, dignity and tolerance. Long may we all prosper from the tremendous legacy of worldly wisdom and specialized real estate knowledge which he left in the "Arguments" thread.

rofina
Real Estate Talker

Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:08 pm

I don't blame governments. Beside the "political right" issue, it is difficult for people to distinguish those "chinese canadian ", "chinese immigrant", from pure "foreign chinese". It is funny to read those news that conflict each other. :P

But if you can put every type of Chinese togethe you should get a whole picture: "yup, it is Chinese." :mrgreen:
I dont actually even want to mention ethnic groups, I think that distracts from the bigger picture.

The point I intended to make is this:

There is unaccounted money flowing into the country
- Where is it from?
- How much?
- What impact is it having?

I also disagree about stats being useless - thats patently false. The financial markets revolve around official and unofficial statistical releases. Earnings, revenues, borrowing costs, capital flows - all matter.

The RE industry wants to be taken seriously, then it should be put under the same scrutiny as the financial markets, with a level of information and transparency to match.

Why is it that Bing Thom has to find creative ways to find real vacancy rates in Vancouver? It seems asinine that an architectural firm needs to come up with back door solutions to numbers that should be accounted for and publicly disseminated.

WhipMaster
Real Estate Talker

Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:20 pm

Rofina:
I also disagree about stats being useless - thats patently false. The financial markets revolve around official and unofficial statistical releases. Earnings, revenues, borrowing costs, capital flows - all matter.

The RE industry wants to be taken seriously, then it should be put under the same scrutiny as the financial markets, with a level of information and transparency to match.

Why is it that Bing Thom has to find creative ways to find real vacancy rates in Vancouver? It seems asinine that an architectural firm needs to come up with back door solutions to numbers that should be accounted for and publicly disseminated.
Ok, if stats aren't useless, then how come all the chart watchers and navel gazers got it w.r.o.n.g.???
You guys had enough data, charts, graphs, good evidence, etc to sink a battleship. :lol:

The RE industry? What's that. That's like saying "the eastside", or "all Chinese". :lol:

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:22 am

I believe that some data are reasonably accurate and can be useful for some purposes. The real estate industry is a whole different case where great efforts are made to produce opaque and often misleading numbers. Depending on what the market is doing they will switch from emphasizing "averages" to "medians" to "benchmarks". The waters are made even murkier when they double or triple count sales, change the borders of reporting areas and change the formula for the benchmark. Remember that the MLS "Greater Vancouver SFH Average Prices" still haven't revisited the April 2012 high point, how accurate an indication do you think that is?
http://www.chpc.biz

Then there's the people issue. Talk to a person of "average" intelligence for ten minutes and then consider the fact that half the population are dumber than that. How can anybody possibly predict what they will do when they are offered almost free money to spend on homes or cars? That's how we get million dollar crack shacks and 8 year truck loans! Didn't anybody notice what the same kinds of folks did in the USA under similar circumstances? And how did that end?
In fond memory of Taipan, a model of modesty, decency, dignity and tolerance. Long may we all prosper from the tremendous legacy of worldly wisdom and specialized real estate knowledge which he left in the "Arguments" thread.

WhipMaster
Real Estate Talker

Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:02 am

Geyser:
I believe that some data are reasonably accurate and can be useful for some purposes
....oh really? So how come those who predicted a crash a way back when got mud in their face cuz exactly the opposite of what they predicted actually happened? Those clowns had so many charts, and graphs, and reports, and statistics, you could have made a bon fire with them that could be seen from outer space. hahahahahahhaha.... :lol:

So please tell us...

Which data is dependable and reasonably accurate? :D

Also, why didn't you pipe up sooner?
The clowns should have been told that years ago, then presumably they would have ended up being on the side of the debate that history has proven to be the c.o.r.r.e.c.t. side. :lol:

You got a guy like poor Rofino who has given up trying to buy a house because the prices are through the roof. In his estimation back in the day, the real estate market was a sure "short sell" situation. Look what dun' happened???? :shock:

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:17 pm

Geyser:
I believe that some data are reasonably accurate and can be useful for some purposes
....oh really? So how come those who predicted a crash a way back when got mud in their face cuz exactly the opposite of what they predicted actually happened? Those clowns had so many charts, and graphs, and reports, and statistics, you could have made a bon fire with them that could be seen from outer space. hahahahahahhaha.... :lol:

So please tell us...

The clowns should have been told that years ago, then presumably they would have ended up being on the side of the debate that history has proven to be the c.o.r.r.e.c.t. side. :lol:

You got a guy like poor Rofino who has given up trying to buy a house because the prices are through the roof. In his estimation back in the day, the real estate market was a sure "short sell" situation. Look what dun' happened???? :shock:
I wasn't referring to real estate data, all of which is highly suspect. I think we agree on that. :D

rofina
Real Estate Talker

Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:23 pm

Geyser:

So please tell us...

I wasn't referring to real estate data, all of which is highly suspect. I think we agree on that. :D
WhipMaster is really difficult to debate with, he doesn't listen. Second, its difficult to debate with someone who is unwilling to reconsider his or her stance. Third, he digresses' and doesn't actually answer any of the questions.

As I asked a few posts before; Why did Bing Thom, a private architectural firm, have to conduct its own study into vacancy rates in Vancouver? Why is that their findings were so shocking? Why were these statistics not readily available and distributed to the public?

Why are we all still debating this issue?

Because no one knows any facts. Its all on the ground anecdotes, reactions and rumours.

And WhipMaster has the gull to call people ignorant, or loud mouthed. For what? Wanting a place to live? Or wanting some data and details about whats driving the local market? How ridiculous - yah lets all make million dollar purchasing decisions because a few anonymous guys on the internet said its an ethnic group driving prices.

WhipMaster will never admit it, but he, and everyone else, was throwing darts all over the board. No one knew the reason for the run up. The dart that had stuck is foreign money, but it wasn't known. The narrative has changed completely, certainly has since the US bubble burst.

Of course we will not speak of this, but continue to mock people for wanting to make informed decisions.

WhipMaster
Real Estate Talker

Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:58 pm

Rofina:
Why did Bing Thom, a private architectural firm, have to conduct its own study into vacancy rates in Vancouver?
...probably because the only statistics available are from Stats Canada. Which we all know are old news and don't even scratch the surface of the rental market because they only include a certain type of rental. I don't think they recognize illegal suites or small landlords. So we all know that, and you should know that too. If it's from a government source, don't trust it, it's no good.

HonkyTonkMan also tried to tell you clowns back in around 2004 that Canada's immigration qualifications had requirements back in the 80's that were including foreign homebuyers of houses worth $250K or more, as "business buyers". We already dun' tol' you that cuz we knew it. But all you idiots did was mock us cuz you didn't believe it. Well, now you know. :D

Your problem is that when you hear stuff that doesn't jive with your perception of reality, you automatically dismiss it without further objective investigation because you "think" that you know better than everybody else. Remember, better risk assessment skills? Sucks to be falsely self entitled and lazy, huh? :lol:

Now we all feel bad for you cuz you are all under pressure cuz families grow and apartment living just doesn't cut it.
That's why I would move out of the city just like Arthur Fonzarelli did. He's happy. :D

WhipMaster
Real Estate Talker

Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:03 am

Geyser:
I wasn't referring to real estate data, all of which is highly suspect. I think we agree on that.
....all real estate data is sub optimal when you consider that all one had to do was open ones eyes and .....
1) Pop into an open house or two, and see what the buyer profile was like.
2) Take note that "for sale" signs on homes don't take long to get a SOLD sticker.
3) Talk to your buddy who is a busy realtor, and ask him/her who in the world was buying.

....all the information is there if you have your eyes open.

But you guys never relied on MLS data to make your call anyways. You guys had Teranet, F.I.T., Garth the barf Turner, and a host of other good data that was not from MLS, CREA, or any other biased industry source.

How come after all that analysing and naval gazing, the outcome was the exact opposite of the "good evidence"? :mrgreen:

Now we have people like Tapioca and FuturePorscheOwner, just to name a couple of people, who bought when the buying was good and are getting on with their lives. While poor Rofina is getting shit kicked everyday cuz he essentially "barked up the wrong tree" and now he can't get into a house unless he rents. :shock:

So please tell us which data is reliable if you can, please? :D