This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

drouillm
Site Admin

Sat May 14, 2005 12:24 pm

Not in kansas, I guess it depends on what you're willing to spend. Ozzie has a really good course but it costs a fair bit of change - about $1700 (I guess still much cheaper than if you had obtained a DULE).

dennisjb
Real Estate Talker

newbie poster

Fri May 20, 2005 1:18 pm

1) Age / Location / Occupation
2) What real estate do you own?
3) What's your view on the market going forward? Buyer or seller? Which parts of the market?
4) Anything else?

1) 54 / Married / no children / 1 dog 2 cats and garden / Yaletown / Unemployed

2) 2 rentals (1 studio (listed July 18/05) SOLD Aug 03/05 Poss Nov 01/05
(1-1 bed (listed July 18/05)) Sold July 21/05 Poss Aug 18/05
1 townhouse(res)

3) original mandate was buy, hold and leverage
sitting on sidelines since last sale in Feb/04
first purchase was in '96 in Yaletown

4) everybody and their dog is buying in or wants to buy in
more wannabe RE moguls per block than panhandlers
investigating "bubble" theories left right and centre
would like to add to holdings but numbers don't add up
absolutely amazed at $ sq/ft prices now and projected

looked at a lot of pre sales too pricey but.....?
mainly interested in concrete, newer, rentable and affordable
a downturn might be an opportunity, maybe wishful thinking on my part
:)

libasuki
Real Estate Talker

Fri May 27, 2005 3:48 pm

SilverMountain
Real Estate Talker

Re: newbie poster

Sat May 28, 2005 12:09 am

3) What's your view on the market going forward? Buyer or seller? Which parts of the market?
4) Anything else?

1) 30/Tri-Cities/Software Engineer (although I think I'm in the wrong profession. :D Economic and RE investing are much more interesting.)
2) A house with suite.
3) Predicting a correction starting in 2006. Interest rates should begin to raise later this year, but there will be a time lag before the effect is realized by the market. Disappointed with too many warnings coming from the media. Combine this with the NASDAQ 5000 crash not being too long ago, I think the landing will be relatively soft. Say, maybe, -10%....
4) Wish I started learning RE earlier. There are a lot of educated and experienced posters in this forum. Some have reshaped my fundamental beliefs. I give my highest respect to Freako and Beaux.

abby_girl
Real Estate Talker

Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:49 pm

4) Anything else?

1. 27, Fraser valley, HR with the Feds
2. Condo in Surrey, condo in Courtenay
3. Buyer, not sure what is going to happen, but in it for the long haul and betting on retirement income from having my current (and future) properties paid off by renters
4. Not too much.........just always looking for deals

IslandGirl

Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:31 am

Age / Location / Occupation
4) Anything else?

38/Victoria/Data Center Operator

6 houses-1 Victoria residence/3 Victoria rental houses/1 Victoria Duplex rental/1 rental house Tofino

Just found this forum and spending time reading through the threads, finding it very interesting and hoping to learn some from you all.
Always looking for new contacts in Victoria...specifically a good accountant at the moment...any referals are appreciated.

LeeLau
Real Estate Talker

Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:00 pm

4) Anything else?

1) mid 30s/North Vancouver/lawyer - portfolio manager/semi-retired and wanting to live the good life like htm

2) 2 house in north Van; 1 house in Whistler; 1 house in Sun Peaks

3) Bearish on Vancouver in short term/slightly bullish longer term; Seller if I get outrageous offers/Looking to buy but not in Vancouver till rental income and cost converge/always interested in unique properties in BC interior (Merritt/Nelson/Revelstoke) and VanIsle (Comox area/Cowichan area).

4) Will go long or short and am deeply skeptical, Mission in life is to maximize fun

solipsist
Real Estate Talker

Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:50 am

40+ years old. Live in Vancouver. Own no real estate, but have wanted to for 25 years - spent a lot of time and money traveling the world, learning languages, etc. (no regrets!). I feel now that I put off buying real estate for too long. I want to buy, but cannot bring myself to pay 400k for a dump in Vancouver. I'm waiting... Might buy something far out of town and sit on it.

I suspect that the market is going to tank in the not-too-distant future, and prices will reverse. There will be foreclosures galore, blood on the streets, and tears in the beer.

My old Grandma (who lived to 102 years old) said many times in the last decade that another depression was coming. I think she was right, and I think that this insane market is going to trigger it when it collapses.

jrowe
Real Estate Talker

Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:14 pm

4) Anything else?

1) 27 / New West / System Engineer

2) 3 yr old detached house in New West (Queensborough)

3) I'm a contrarian by nature so I'm bearish on real estate over the short-term. I think it has become much too fashionable. Once it's no longer in the news is the time to start looking at investment properties again. I'd consider buying in the Okanagan area if the price was right because it is/is going to be a hot retirement area and should weather the coming reduction in "easy money" much better than other areas.

4) I've been lurking on this site for about 2 years now. The information and ideas shared here are amazing! I've learned so much about real estate here, but I do find that I'm suffering from information overload and I'm having a hard time deciding whether to lean toward the bear camp or the bull camp for the middle-term. There's too many different variables to think about! :)

abby_girl
Real Estate Talker

Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:51 pm

4) Anything else?

1. 27, Fraser valley, HR with the Feds
2. Condo in Surrey, condo in Courtenay
3. Buyer, not sure what is going to happen, but in it for the long haul and betting on retirement income from having my current (and future) properties paid off by renters
4. Not too much.........just always looking for deals
Let's change the answer for #2, and add a condo in Abby :-)
...yep, still 27!!

jthong
Real Estate Talker

Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:23 pm

1) 26 / Vancouver / CMA

2) Recently sold my downtown condo of 6 months; Currently waiting for my burnaby condo to be built by 2006; In the meantime, staying at mom and dad to save $ and eyeing for good deals.

3) In my opinion, market will tank around 2007 when all the condos will become available. However, it will still increase slightly in 2006. Definitely a buyer for a house in the near future as I am not getting any younger.

4) This RE market in Vancouver is **** ridiculous!!! :evil: When I first graduated from university, I didn't think I could own a $200K condo with enough down payment. Now I have enough down payment from the sale, I could not qualify for bigger mortgage and most of the properties need dual income. Piss off. I have been traveling quite a bit. I can't understand why Vancouver is so expensive. I don't buy this "Vancouver is the best place to live in the world" non-senese. Rain is depressing and government takes 50% of my salary!

rainmaker
Real Estate Talker

Re: Introduce Yourself to the Forum!

Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:51 pm

1) 26 / Vancouver (born in Toronto) / Residential Strata Management
2) None. Looking to buy my first condo on the west side.
3) Prices seem to be stabilizing, but its tough to imagine them being rolled back with labour shortages being the way that they are. Nothing is going to get cheaper as it gets even harder and harder to get qualified construction workers to build things. Olympic development won't help that.
4) Just started reading the board, lots to catch up on.

jonjacob
Real Estate Talker

Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:31 pm

4) Anything else?

1) 28 / Yaletown, Downtown Vancouver / Computer Engineer
2) Condo, bought in 2001, financed by the high tech boom while still living in California
3) I'm currently Bearish. I expect a market correction across the board in the timeframe of 2008 - 2012 (either before or after Olympics), at which point I will purchase another property. I can't say if or which market segment will correct more drastically than others, though.
4) - Having been in the middle of the high tech boom in the Silicon Valley, this feels like 2000 all over again (or actually more like 1998).
- I have been lurking here for quite some time, trying to justify my feeling of an impending correction.

burrardstudio
Real Estate Talker

Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:43 pm

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:39 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just logged in for the first time, and was interested to know about everyone here, namely:
4) Anything else?

old........ downtown..........retired

5 downtown condos including the one we live in

not buying...........the best time must be over for now

Quite excited about deferred tax............hope it comes about.
If so, will sell some and buy a better bigger, 1200sf with view,more interesting place, maybe the CLASSICO in CH. Area of Hornby at False Creek. Or Chilco St with views over the park.

Am new to the forum and find people know an awful lot and some even have a sense od humour. HTM a person with smarts and a sense of humour. No, I am not he.

BurnabyGirl
Real Estate Talker

Hello Everyone

Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:37 pm

I'm a 27 year old female living in Burnaby British Columbia

Owned my first home at 23..

Have bought 4 places, have sold 3.

All in the lower mainland. I did this to live mortgage free which I now do.

Looking to sell my current home in about 5 years and purchase another, i've been keeping my eyes on a few places.

Love the Real Estate market and cannot stop watching MlS and other sites like it, think I may be addicted. I like to "play" buy, and then keep tabs on areas to see if it went up or down.

Anyway, so glad to have found this place!!
:twisted: A House is not a home without a cat :twisted:

:arrow: www.ForgottenFelines.ca :shock:

END AGE RESTRICTION, PROTECT THE RIGHTS OF CITIZENS :!: