This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

admin
Site Admin

Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:54 am

Just so we don't start a trend of website launches here - The original intention of this thread was for people to introduce themselves, not their websites:

1) Age / Location / Occupation
2) What real estate do you own?
3) What's your view on the market going forward? Buyer or seller? Which parts of the market?
4) Anything else?
Follow Talks on Twitter: @RETALKS

naftalim
Real Estate Talker

Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:08 pm

3) What's your view on the market going forward? Buyer or seller? Which parts of the market?
4) Anything else?

1)51/Vancouver/Consultant
2)Condo in Sterling, Rental in YP2
3)Confusion, pricing gap between resale and presale too high. No room for investors right now.
4) Wish I bought more in 2002-2004 like everyone else :D

pinnacle

Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:48 pm

Age / 52 /
Location / Vancouver /
Occupation / Airline /

What Realestate do you own? One condo in False Creek - sold my rental suite two years ago - at the 'Peak of the market', or so I thought.

My views of market? I can't see a drop in the near future. The market is so crazy, I'm afraid to sell in fear I'd never get back in. I put in an offer on a town house in Kits last August (over bid by $10,000 but the other guy over bid me by another $10,000) - Ouch!

I've been a reader of this site for years and was sad when Honky Tonk Man left. But hopefully now there's a chance he'll be back. He was so entertaining, I didn't want to miss a day on this site.

Now today, I'm actually counting myself in.

Thanks,

Pinnacle

jeffrose

Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:42 pm

4) Anything else?

1) 38.8 / Van / Film Industry
2) None, renting with dreams of buying
3) I'd love to be buying. I think we'll have a bubble in Vancouver for a few years yet.
4) Considering a career move to real estate.

islandlady
Real Estate Talker

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:30 am

One of the oldest (by age) member of this forum at age 42 from Brunei and living and investing in real estate in Vancouver
I am an accountant living in my own home and owning a rental house and a commercial/apartment building - all in Vacouver. I am trying to buy more investment properties using the build-up in the values of my existing properties but have difficulties finding investment properties that make economic sense.

I am truely impressed with members of the forums - especially the ones in the 20s - who have purchased their own properties. Keep up the good work!

It is my hope that we call all learn from one another and that we will all be better off as a result of it.

You and I tie for first place as the eldest here ..... 8)

I was a little suprised too to see that many of the members are so young.

islandlady
Real Estate Talker

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:33 am

[ :roll:

islandlady
Real Estate Talker

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:40 am

:lol:

RiskArb
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Re: Introduce Yourself to the Forum!

Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:37 am

I'll start:
1) 28 / Singapore (born & raised in Van) / Investment Banker
2) Just getting started....have a few condos in coal harbour...1100-1400sf
3) Quite bearish on the 'commoditized' downtown market e.g., sub 800sf Yaletown type of stuff....as well as the interest rate sensitive segment e.g., multi-tenant, entry level homes in subdivisions......bullish generally on vac'n properties and high end lots/homes.
4) I'm totally flabbergasted at people that mindlessly snap up crappy over-priced condos in less-than-desirable locations (all that new stuff they're building on seymour, richards and vicinity going for $500psf). When does the insanity end?
hey guys, i've been on a good 2year hiatus from this place so thought i'd re-introduce myself

1. Still 28 (i wish!) / Hong Kong / Still IB

2. Stopped buying residential in Vancouver in 03. Have since dived headlong into Singapore properties (pre-sale condos).

3. In Vancouver, I think residential market's going to take a breather in 2/3Q07 and then defying expectation, notch up another 10% through 4Q07 and 1H08. High-end will move up 15%++ and I think the mass market stuff will hover in the +5% area.

4. really look forward to posting more frequently and catching up with some old hands here. (God I miss the RSINGNAV and Honkytonkman sparring sessions). My sincerest apologies to some of you for going AWOL

ADDED: thought you guys would be interested to know that in Singapore and HK, no cap gains tax on property, sales commission is 1% and any agent can claim it (whoever brings you a buyer). There are 3 main realty agencies in both markets and you simply list your property with a rep from each of the 3 (for free) who will usher in viewers. There's also a centralized database compiled by the realty boards listing out historical sales and current listings. It's all free. Makes the BC real estate board look like a monopolistic dinosaur.

islandlady
Real Estate Talker

Re: Introduce Yourself to the Forum!

Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:05 am

I'll start:
1) 28 / Singapore (born & raised in Van) / Investment Banker
2) Just getting started....have a few condos in coal harbour...1100-1400sf
3) Quite bearish on the 'commoditized' downtown market e.g., sub 800sf Yaletown type of stuff....as well as the interest rate sensitive segment e.g., multi-tenant, entry level homes in subdivisions......bullish generally on vac'n properties and high end lots/homes.
4) I'm totally flabbergasted at people that mindlessly snap up crappy over-priced condos in less-than-desirable locations (all that new stuff they're building on seymour, richards and vicinity going for $500psf). When does the insanity end?
hey guys, i've been on a good 2year hiatus from this place so thought i'd re-introduce myself

1. Still 28 (i wish!) / Hong Kong / Still IB

2. Stopped buying residential in Vancouver in 03. Have since dived headlong into Singapore properties (pre-sale condos).

3. In Vancouver, I think residential market's going to take a breather in 2/3Q07 and then defying expectation, notch up another 10% through 4Q07 and 1H08. High-end will move up 15%++ and I think the mass market stuff will hover in the +5% area.

4. really look forward to posting more frequently and catching up with some old hands here. (God I miss the RSINGNAV and Honkytonkman sparring sessions). My sincerest apologies to some of you for going AWOL

ADDED: thought you guys would be interested to know that in Singapore and HK, no cap gains tax on property, sales commission is 1% and any agent can claim it (whoever brings you a buyer). There are 3 main realty agencies in both markets and you simply list your property with a rep from each of the 3 (for free) who will usher in viewers. There's also a centralized database compiled by the realty boards listing out historical sales and current listings. It's all free. Makes the BC real estate board look like a monopolistic dinosaur.
I like that..monopolistic dinosaur..lol.

CPGuy

Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:07 pm

Logged in a few days ago and just found this thread now.

Age 45
YVR based
Occupation, Airline
Holding 15+ condos/townhouses in Alberta
Focus, more condos/buildings 17+ units

cc85
Real Estate Talker

Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:29 pm

1. 21/Richmond/Student
2. none
3. going to be steady for a few months, slowly decrease in price, then a sharp decline as investors pull out to save their losses. buyer soon, when i get a large enough down payment/emergency fund after i start working in a few months
4. I am finishing my BA in Geography in 1 month from SFU. also have a certificate in urban studies from SFU and an AA in Geography. I will starting the DULE program in may. :P

new west groupie
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:47 pm

1. 29/New Westminster/Architect/born in Europe raised in Vancouver
2. 2 single family in New West/ 4 condos in Bby/ acreage in Chiliwack,
couple offshore condos and principal residence in Queens Park
3. going to be steady for a few months despite the paranoia in the media
(there are still multiple bids out there with over-asking price offers that
sell in less than a few days!) maybe 8-12% increase this year, will take
a bit of dip in 4Q2007 and 1Q2008. I would get out of some of the
questionable locations and hold on to only desirable property.
4. BA in Arts with double major in History / Poli Science; Masters in
Architecture, working on getting registered; started my own
investment / development company 5 years ago - made some good
investments

tonysingh

Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:30 pm

1) 24/ Richmond BC/ REALTOR

2) I own a Duplex and a townhouse

3) My view on the markets? Markets be damned!

4) Real Estate = freedom!

ruffryder11

Richmond

Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:43 pm

Looking for a new home in Richmond BC! Any new projects under development that you guys would recommend? I'm looking for something around 900-1000 sq ft, 2 bedrooms. Gf would prefer condo/apartment, I wouldn't mind taking a look at some townhouses either.

RealtorJack

Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:50 pm

1. 37 / North Vancouver / Real Estate Advisor

2. My home in North Vancouver, investment presale condos downtown

3. Market is set by Supply and Demand. My view is since they are making any more land, and Vancouver is one the best cities in the world to live in, and id interest rates do not jump to the high teens and above, we will see the market continue to go up. There may be some corrections here and there but unless you analyze the stats, most people would not realize that there is a corrections anyways. Don't always believe the media.

4. My opinions are based on first hand experience with all sectors of the market in all regions of the Greater Vancouver area. My clients are from all walks of life dealing in real estate ranging from 200,000 to 2,000,000. I base my opinions on facts and figures, not fear and doomsday prophecies.