This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

etho

Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:01 pm

Hi there... thought I'd introduce myself to the forum, after trolling occasionally for several months. My name is Adrian, I have a wife and an 8 week old son.

STATS
1) 31 years old, live 1 block from Stanley Park in Coal Harbour, occupation: videogame producer
2) We own our 900sqft condo in Coal Harbour, recently totally renovated; we also own a 100 year old semi-detached Victorian house in downtown Toronto that we rent out, 1 suite furnished, 1 suite unfurnished
3) As for our view on the market... we're not super savvy, but we like to buy with 25% down and rent out. Any future purchases will likely be in smaller markets though, where we can get good rental rates without paying half a million for the property (think London, Ontario). We don't sell our properties when we move, we rent them out.

For photos of the properties, including before and after shots of the Coal Harbour reno, see here: http://www.adriancrook.com/gallery/properties

gbdc

Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:04 pm

1) Age / Location / Occupation
2) What real estate do you own?
3) What's your view on the market going forward? Buyer or seller? Which parts of the market?
4) Anything else?

1) 30 / Upstate NY / Masters Student
2) 1 dinky condo in Burnaby & an assignment in Coquitlam center area
3) I think market will land soft, but not sure when and how much. I try to remind myself unrealized profit is not profit. Seller at this time
4) Great forum!

Sciavinc

Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:48 am

3) What's your view on the market going forward? Buyer or seller? Which parts of the market?
4) Anything else?

1) 26 / BBY / Programmer
2) None
3) I see the condo market across the lower mainland giving at least 20% in the next twelve months, mainly because of rampant speculation and oversupply in this segment.
4) Hope to contribute to this excellent forum!

lawrencej
Real Estate Talker

Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:54 am

4) Anything else?

1) 33 / London / Investment Banker
2) Resort properties in various countries including Canada, I don't own my own home.
3) US housing melts down beyond most expectations, consumer spending gets killed, overall hit to GDP has global effect. Canada suffers from hit to manufacturing and commodities. Vancouver market most susceptible to downside for obvious reasons, takes minimum 25% nominal decline over next two years and does not recover for a further 5 years giving further real decline.
4) Real estate is an illiquid and opaque leveraged asset, it boggles the mind how many people think of it as a safe long term investment at any price.

L8Bloomer
Real Estate Talker

Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:07 am

39/downtown Vancouver/full-time mother, part time consulting business owner

Currently renting, flipped a condo in late 2004 (pre-purchased in early 2003). Started looking to reenter the condo market in 2005, got completely turned off by the bidding war frenzies and decided to keep renting. Now decided we'd like to upgrade to a house in the S. Main area.

Seems unrealistic that prices won't drop, question is when and by how much. We're taking our time looking, doing lots of research, which is what brought me to this board.

skg

Re: Introduce Yourself to the Forum!

Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:13 am

[quote="RiskArb"]I just logged in for the first time, and was interested to know about everyone here, namely:
4) Anything else?

[/quote]

Greetings! First post. Here goes.

1)between 30 and 40/Vancouver/Healthcare

2)Decent size 1BR+D in Yaletown. Bought 10 years ago, when living in d/t was considered financial suicide.

3)Market stabilizing to normal levels in next 12 months. Small drop in prices but nothing major. I still believe there are lots of buyers sitting on the sidelines waiting to get in. Always see tons of people in my building during open houses.

4)Love living downtown, but recently married, looking to move to a house. Don't care if I get less money for my condo, as long as the price of a house drops by an equal percentage.

fab
Real Estate Talker

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:23 pm

4) Anything else?

1) south of 40/north shore/realtor (did I just say that?)
2) SFH, put 25% down and didn't buy a corvette with a heloc
3) Market is stabilising but lots of sellers don't realise it yet, otherwise crystal ball is broken
4) Looking to buy another SFH because rent pymts would cover PIT and maintenance and then some on current house. Waiting to do it at Christmas cuz that's when the deals are.

swilke
Real Estate Talker

Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:57 am

4) Anything else?

1) 30/Richmond/Advertising/Studying to become realtor this year
2) Condo in Richmond, Small home in Interior of BC, Sold condo in Toronto
3) Waiting for the collapse of US market. Vancouver market will stabilize and increase again in spring. China will play a huge role on our economy.
4) Buying a rental home in Vancouver is in the future.

Islandmedic
Real Estate Talker

Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:43 pm

1. 32/Ladysmith/paramedic
2. Family house with rental coachhouse on property, and a rental apartment in Port Alice. Looking for more rental properties currently. Tough to find cash flow positive properties.
3. My thoughts on the market is that all the over priced crap is going to lose it's appeal and will decline. However I feel there will still be a strong demand for nice homes, vacation properties, and view/waterfront lots.

rajdhaliwal

Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:41 am

Hello all,
Same here, just signed up last nite. I am based in Abbotsford BC. This is my 3rd year now in real estate. .

Raj Dhaliwal
www.myabbotsford.com

zed8

Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:46 am

40's/ New West/ I'm in media, also landscape and construction, wife in human resources

residence: 9 yr old detached home, 1 bdrm condo rented

I think we're going to level off if we aren't already. Seeing more and more rental buildings going condo so are rental rates going up? We wouldn't mind seeing that

goro
Real Estate Talker

Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:04 am

age, location, occupation
45, southern ontario,millwright, will work to qualify for mortgages then quit
real estate, 2 houses, 4 semi's, 2 apartment bdlgs. b.t.w most of my properties aren't worth the value of a small bach. condo unit in Vancouver.
Market going forward, we are moving to Victoria. we hope prices will fall. I wonder about a market that a starter home is 400k. How do normal young people with average jobs get into the market. Whats next a 100 year amm.

cfl122
Real Estate Talker

Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:29 pm

One of the oldest (by age) member of this forum at age 42 from Brunei and living and investing in real estate in Vancouver
I am an accountant living in my own home and owning a rental house and a commercial/apartment building - all in Vacouver. I am trying to buy more investment properties using the build-up in the values of my existing properties but have difficulties finding investment properties that make economic sense.

I am truely impressed with members of the forums - especially the ones in the 20s - who have purchased their own properties. Keep up the good work!

It is my hope that we call all learn from one another and that we will all be better off as a result of it.

inesg
Real Estate Talker

Introduce yourself

Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:47 pm

28/Vancouver/Real Estate Agent
Not an owner yet.
For the next few months I thing it is a good time to buy.
I'd like to help with real estate. www.ines.ca
Ines Gabric
REALTOR

RealEstateChannel
Real Estate Talker

Real Estate Channel

Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:59 pm

I would like to introduce Vancouver's only Real Estate Channel.

http://www.realestatechannel.ca