This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Re: Vancouver indvidual property sales details

Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:53 pm

eyesthebye2 wrote:
What a flake

Ah! Another well reasoned and powerful rebuttal from ETB. It's hard to counter such a brilliantly contrived and cutting ad-hominem attack.
Now, about that "percentage return" thing. Cat got your tongue? :lol:

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:33 pm

WTF are you talking about, % return?
I'm at 2400%

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:18 am

eyesthebye2 wrote:
WTF are you talking about, % return?
I'm at 2400%

I'm talking about the bizarre logic you used to try and convince yourself that detached homes were currently a better investment than condos, despite condos currently being on a hot upward run while detached prices are sliding.
Here is you hilarious example which most ten-year olds could refute:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"1.474.000 E Van detached April 17
1.562.000 E Van detached July 17
= $88,000 Gain 

480.000 E Van condo April 17
524.000 E Van condo July 17
= $44,000 gain

3.495.000 W Van detached April 17
3.666.000 W Van detached July 17
=$171,000 gain

725.000 W Van condo April 17
783.700 W Van condo July 17
= $58,700 gain

Not sure how you can call condo hot and detached not given the above numbers.
West, detached is gaining 3x total $ as condo, and on the East side it's detached 2x greater gain."
                                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I responded with this post (below) which you have tried hard to ignore, why don't you just admit that you don't understand math and how markets work?
Here's that original post of mine:

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText]It's not that hard to figure out so long as you understand a tricky little thing in mathematics called "percentages" and "percentage gains". Google it, the information will help you understand the market basics which currently elude you. [/font][/font]

Here's a clue to get you started. If you had invested $1.5 million in detached houses and another $1.5 million in condos in those neighbourhoods over that 3 month time frame which would have given you the biggest profit?

[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]You appear to be clinging to the notion that risking larger amounts of money for a much smaller percentage return is smart business. Trust me, it isn't.[/font]

[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]I sincerely hope your government job doesn't involve mathematics or investing tax payers money.[/font]

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:19 am

I get it Geyser...you own a condo and you love it.
I personally think the value in property is in the land, and if you don't own and control the land you don't own much of anything. You may try to argue that there is land to a condo - but get real man.

Condo might do okay in the short run, and is spurts, but I don't trust that there isn't a day of reckoning where this property class falls on its add. There are just way too many using it as an investment and speculation vehicle.

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:52 pm

eyesthebye2 wrote:
I get it Geyser...you own a condo and you love it.
I personally think the value in property is in the land, and if you don't own and control the land you don't own much of anything. You may try to argue that there is land to a condo - but get real man.

Condo might do okay in the short run, and is spurts, but I don't trust that there isn't a day of reckoning where this property class falls on its add. There are just way too many using it as an investment and speculation vehicle.

Avoiding the "percentage return" issue and trying to change the subject again I see.  I get it, your lack of understanding of market basics and simple math was pretty embarrassing.

As for the diversionary argument you are trying to use to distract me, all of your erroneous points have been discredited before. Some, several times, but that's okay, I know you are a slow learner.
Please continue enjoying your huge mortgage on your small patch of scrub grass in one of the rougher parts of the outer limits of the city. I will continue enjoying my very comfortable, mortgage free life in one of the most desirable locations in this city's vibrant heart.

In terms of my primary residence, my wife and I own a small share of a large portion of a city block of some of the most expensive land on the planet, you and your mortgage company share a much smaller lot in a far less desirable, sprawling area of run-down old houses with basement suites with all the issues which that implies.

Finally, as you seem so obsessed and proud of your part ownership of your currently depreciating piece of dirt, I should remind you that my wife and I also own undivided land in other markets but, like your little patch, they cannot compare with the location and convenience or price per square foot of our primary residence, and even the lower value could not convince me to live on any of them. As you become more knowledgeable about markets you will start to understand that only three things matter, location, location, location, and you don't have it.  Sorry 'bout that. :D

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:31 pm

Enough of the gong show, back to business

3555 St Catherine's street
1778 detached built 1989
25x122 RS-1 lot!!!!!
Ask$1,699,000
Sell $1,910,800 on 14-August after 6 days

COMPLETELY RENOVATED home sitting in a quiet and bright CORNER LOT with privately fenced front and back yard to enjoy your summer barbecue. Centrally located in the upper Fraser area. 10 Minutes to downtown. 3 bedrooms and office (which could be easily converted into a 4th bedroom) all come with extra large windows. Well cared by the same family for over 20 years and they just spent almost $200K renovated it. This MOVED-IN-READY home offers you new windows and floors, new hot water tank and heat, brand new bathrooms, kitchen, and appliances. OPEN HOUSE: Aug 12-13 Sat & Sun 2-4pm Listed By: REGENT PARK FAIRCHILD RLTY INC
Attachments
photo_server (2).jpg
photo_server (2).jpg (87 KiB) Viewed 767 times

rMBA13
Real Estate Talker

Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:20 am

Living in detached homes is so lame

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:46 pm

rMBA13 wrote:

Having had my share of living in both I disagree, detached and condos each have their own advantages and disadvantages.

Detached homes are more desirable if you are stuck with kids, don't mind commuting, and your main source of entertainment is television. Also, you can usually get more outside space and a older house in the scruffier suburbs is much cheaper than a similarly sized modern condo in a more desirable area, thus making the detached house far more attractive to parents on a budget.

A Downtown condo is more desirable for child-free people who like being able to easily stroll to nearby beaches, shops, restaurants, bars, theatres, sports events, etc., etc., all without using the car. At the lower end of the market there are tiny units in great locations and they can be perfectly adequate for singles with busy social lives. The downside is their lack of space.

At the higher end of the market there are spacious, luxury units offering large private terraces with stunning water and mountain views, 24 hr concierge service, plus all the previously mentioned advantages of Downtown living. Their downside is the outrageously high prices they command compared to similar sized detached homes, but there are good reasons for that.

Bottom line in my view is that the two different types of homes are suited to very different lifestyles. Suburban detached are best for budget conscious families with children and limited ability to take advantage of resort style living available in Downtown.

Downtown condos are better for people who love daytime walks to the beaches or Stanley Park and who are out on the town a lot at night and don't want to drink and drive or fight for taxis at the end of a fun filled evening.

yzfr1
Real Estate Talker

Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:31 am

The market is very resilient, Caucasian buyers.

What excuses do the bears have this time.

2000sqft
Real Estate Talker

Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:18 am

wow! look at all the sales in and around that neighborhood too.....whatever happened to that royal lepage CEO????
To the moon and beyond!...at $2000 per sq ft

rMBA13
Real Estate Talker

Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:40 am

How are the sales activity in North Vancouver?

rMBA13
Real Estate Talker

Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:44 am

Thats exactly why living in detached sucks. Nobody wants to have more than 2 kids nowadays. Most likely only 1 or nothing at all.

Geyser wrote:
rMBA13 wrote:

Having had my share of living in both I disagree, detached and condos each have their own advantages and disadvantages.

Detached homes are more desirable if you are stuck with kids, don't mind commuting, and your main source of entertainment is television. Also, you can usually get more outside space and a older house in the scruffier suburbs is much cheaper than a similarly sized modern condo in a more desirable area, thus making the detached house far more attractive to parents on a budget.

A Downtown condo is more desirable for child-free people who like being able to easily stroll to nearby beaches, shops, restaurants, bars, theatres, sports events, etc., etc., all without using the car. At the lower end of the market there are tiny units in great locations and they can be perfectly adequate for singles with busy social lives. The downside is their lack of space.

At the higher end of the market there are spacious, luxury units offering large private terraces with stunning water and mountain views, 24 hr concierge service, plus all the previously mentioned advantages of Downtown living. Their downside is the outrageously high prices they command compared to similar sized detached homes, but there are good reasons for that.

Bottom line in my view is that the two different types of homes are suited to very different lifestyles. Suburban detached are best for budget conscious families with children and limited ability to take advantage of resort style living available in Downtown.

Downtown condos are better for people who love daytime walks to the beaches or Stanley Park and who are out on the town a lot at night and don't want to drink and drive or fight for taxis at the end of a fun filled evening.

yzfr1
Real Estate Talker

Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:30 am

North Van detached homes are still moving in quantity but price seems flat. Looks like its coming into a balance in supply and demand.

It think the market needs a breather, it will be healthy if people get the "fear of missing out" impulse buy out of thier system. To many of those will add stress to the market and could lead to a crash.

Hopefully we can see a nice 10% cool down until spring of next year.

Harahomes
Real Estate Talker

Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:13 pm

We are reaching a point now where people don't know what to think.  With all the promises that both the NDP and Green party made everyone is sitting on there hands again like the did when the %15 tax was put in.  Now is the opperunity to pick up something where the seller are getting desperate to sell.

I suspect that prices will remain flat or drop back somewhere in the 5% range. 

I personaly don't think the NDP will deliever on some of their promises.  Why?  They have promised way too much in social programs etc and the property transfer tax brings in about a billion bucks a year.  Also, if they where going to make those changes, now would be the perfect time to do it, since Christy Clark has vacated her seat and they have 1 vote advantage to pass whatever they want.  Yet alls mum on the western front.
Oh and realyreall im looking forward to your comments.  AND GO!!!
Last edited by Harahomes on Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harahomes
Real Estate Talker

Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:17 pm

:)