This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

islandlady
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Will the end of bridge tolls cause an increase in property values ?

Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:46 pm

With the removal of bridge tolls, what do you all think? will this increase the prices of real estate to higher prices east of the Port Mann/south of Fraser River?  How about Maple Ridge? I think it will. Even more so than they have already increased I think the removal of bridge tolls will just nudge it along a little more upward than it may have gone otherwise.  Surely there will be more people who might consider buying east of Port Mann now that may not have before due to the cost.   This guy does not think so. I disagree.  Did we know for sure the bridge tolls would be eliminated? I didnt. Did you? Until it actually happened I didnt know for sure it would.   http://www.news1130.com/2017/08/27/axing-bridge-tolls-unlikely-impact-house-prices/

VanLord
Real Estate Talker

Re: Will the end of bridge tolls cause an increase in property values ?

Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:36 pm

Good point is certainly can't hurt them, will likely help nudge as you say...but watch out for mobility pricing which could hurt prices as much or more

westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:02 am

Yeah, I agree with vanlord.  Taxes don't just go away, governments get too used to the revenue stream...  the elimination of tolls on the bridges will be replaced with something else, and mobility pricing seems to be the flavour of the month.

Whatever tax is put into place, a) it will punish car drivers, and b) the further you drive the more you will be punished.  I don't know how that helps anyone on the other side of the port mann bridge.

yzfr1
Real Estate Talker

Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:30 am

Its already a parking lot on highway 1 with the tolls for traffic getting into Vancouver in morning and then back out into the valley in the afternoon.

If traffic gets worst with removal of tolls I bet more people will consider moving into Vancouver and have the opposite affect.

As someone who communities counter traffic flow, I feel sorry for people who live east of the Portman and need to make it into Vancouver.