This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

Maggie123
Topic Author

Where to buy?

Wed May 24, 2017 1:46 pm

Hi All,
I was on this forum years ago then I got busy with life.  Now I am back...whoohoo!  What have I missed?  Not too much drama I hope!  I have lucked into a small bit of cash ($15K) and want to buy another rental property to hold.  Is that possible any more in BC?  If so, where do you suggest that I look for places under 100K?  It can be anywhere - I would just like it to be cash flow neutral or positive.  I have tons of experience with flipping and investing in Vancouver.  Thoughts, wisdom?  Wisecracks and bits are welcome if they come with some legit answers. 

Best,

Maggie
formerly Kitsgal

islandlady
Real Estate Talker

Re: Where to buy?

Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:20 am

I am from Vancouver Island but currently I live in the Lower Mainland area.  I would advise Campbell River or Comox Valley as a great place to buy a small affordable condo or townhouse if it allows rentals.    Those areas are growing rapidly and there is a severe shortage of rental homes in both areas.

Maggie123
Topic Author

Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:31 am

islandlady wrote:
I am from Vancouver Island but currently I live in the Lower Mainland area.  I would advise Campbell River or Comox Valley as a great place to buy a small affordable condo or townhouse if it allows rentals.    Those areas are growing rapidly and there is a severe shortage of rental homes in both areas.

Hi Islandlady!  I remember you from long ago.  You always give great advice.  Yes.  I was thinking CR but I was surprised at how much things are already selling for over there.  I will keep my eyes peeled for a deal.  Have a great day.  m:-) (formerly kitsgal)

jimtan
Real Estate Talker

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:20 am

Good luck. Will be our loss. 

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:58 am

islandlady wrote:

there's lots of places under 200k in richmond(not houses though)

islandlady
Real Estate Talker

Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:35 pm

Im kind of digging Aldergrove these days :)  I think the new water supply and recreation center are the start of something good.  Its right in the middle of two growing areas of Langley and Abbotsford...and yet its a good place to get away from the crowds.   I like some of the new homes being built out that way.  The downtown area sure needs some refreshing though. 

Maggie123
Topic Author

Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:13 pm

islandlady wrote:
Im kind of digging Aldergrove these days :)  I think the new water supply and recreation center are the start of something good.  Its right in the middle of two growing areas of Langley and Abbotsford...and yet its a good place to get away from the crowds.   I like some of the new homes being built out that way.  The downtown area sure needs some refreshing though. 

Aldergrove.  Hmmm....I haven't even thought of that - and to be honest, I know very little about that area.  I have been thinking out the valley in order to pick up something that I could drive to easily if there is an issue.  One of my "rules" is to buy in an area with a private police force (non-RCMP) - although Abbotsford is not helping with my system.  Will take a look.  Thank you for the tip.  Do you know a lot about Chilliwack?  There are some nice units there.   :-)

VanLord
Real Estate Talker

Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:37 pm

Maggie123 wrote:
islandlady wrote:

Aldergrove.  Hmmm....I haven't even thought of that - and to be honest, I know very little about that area.  I have been thinking out the valley in order to pick up something that I could drive to easily if there is an issue.  One of my "rules" is to buy in an area with a private police force (non-RCMP) - although Abbotsford is not helping with my system.  Will take a look.  Thank you for the tip.  Do you know a lot about Chilliwack?  There are some nice units there.   :-)

What do the police have to with your real estate investments?

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:40 pm

Maggie123 wrote:
islandlady wrote:

People actually familiar with the valley would know why and the reasons for the type of public safety department you want

islandlady
Real Estate Talker

Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:37 pm

There is crime everywhere now its just one big melting pot, really doesnt matter that much anymore...in my opinion :)   

islandlady
Real Estate Talker

Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:42 pm

There is crime everywhere now its just one big melting pot, really doesnt matter that much anymore...in my opinion :)   For condos I would like Courtenay, Comox, Campbell River.  For single family new construction houses, I would look Aldergrove.  Thats just MY opinion.  Also around Guildford mall there are some affordable condos near Skytrain.   Just my thoughts and where I would personally prefer to own. I find Langley near 200th is just getting too busy now and will get busier and prices have already come up quite abit the past few years.  For townhomes I am not sure.... they seem to be everywhere these days but they are no longer "cheap"  rentals really. 

islandlady
Real Estate Talker

Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:50 am

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Sing ... -Fanny-Bay

Check out that listing.  Its just under 300,000 and its right across from the ocean....and yes it is on its own lot!   One day you could build a home on it and get rid of the mobile.  Will require a septic system but where can you get such a liveable home with an amazing unobstructed ocean view anywhere anymore for this price?  Its only ten minutes into Courtenay..and on the old Island Hwy which quietens right down at night and in the winter. It is on an access street parallel to the old hwy. No one will ever build across from you.   Do a google street view, you can literally walk your kayak from your home and drop it in the ocean ;)