This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Re: New affordable housing policies for the young

Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:53 am

reallyreal2 wrote:
yzfr1 wrote:
VanLord wrote:
We're on the same page.  Although these guys were born with special talents and abilities, not everyone can create the biggest companies in the world, a lot of which came from their intelligence and drive, with some luck thrown in.
But certainly if everyone could improve on their life and be better than their parents, we would be on the right track.  Currently we are going in the wrong direction and breaking the cycle of poverty is harder and harder, while the ultra rich are taking advantage of the system, and trump is going to put that into hyperdrive, with his deregulation, tax changes, etc.

So I ask you, why cant kids be better then their parents? Why is the current generation worst off then the baby boomers? There is more freedom, more social programs there has ever been since the 1950's/
Equality in the work place, equal oppertunits for minorities and gender equality.

I don't buy the idea that the top 1% is holding society down, just like you guys find it crazy that African Americans continue to blame their poverty on white guys holding them down.

Over abundance in prosperity has caused entitlement, end of story. Everyone wants things handed to them yesterday. I work and have a good job so I deserve X Y Z.

homemade linkless entitlement graph

VanLord
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:05 pm

yzfr1 wrote:
VanLord wrote:
yzfr1 wrote:

The beauty of a free market is nothing is stoping you from moving to the top .01% and game the system. You have everything you need in front of you.

Look at the top billionaires

Mark Zuckerberg, Larry Ellison, Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos

I don't think they "gamed" the system.

We're on the same page.  Although these guys were born with special talents and abilities, not everyone can create the biggest companies in the world, a lot of which came from their intelligence and drive, with some luck thrown in.
But certainly if everyone could improve on their life and be better than their parents, we would be on the right track.  Currently we are going in the wrong direction and breaking the cycle of poverty is harder and harder, while the ultra rich are taking advantage of the system, and trump is going to put that into hyperdrive, with his deregulation, tax changes, etc.

So I ask you, why cant kids be better then their parents? Why is the current generation worst off then the baby boomers? There is more freedom, more social programs there has ever been since the 1950's/
Equality in the work place, equal oppertunits for minorities and gender equality.

I don't buy the idea that the top 1% is holding society down, just like you guys find it crazy that African Americans continue to blame their poverty on white guys holding them down.

Over abundance in prosperity has caused entitlement, end of story. Everyone wants things handed to them yesterday. I work and have a good job so I deserve X Y Z.

I agree with you, its a vicious cycle though and it is harder and harder to get out of poverty, especially in the states.  I think its systemic with the school systems, the attitude, so many factors make it very difficult to break out.  
I was watching a news report on Marrine LePen and the Muslim situation in France, and a lot of the problems are to do with Muslim boys doing poorly in school, with no opportunities to succeed in the French society, no jobs and unable to fit-in to society, which has lead them to radicalization.  I think that is similar in the US with the black population, except they turn to gangs, drugs and gun violence, usually against themselves.  Probably to some degree the police in the US keep these poor people in check, as long as they stick to killing each other its ok, but as soon as they cross over into the rich neighbourhoods, the cops are on them and they go to jail.  Have you ever been to places like West Palm Beach.  Its literally that way...The richest people in the world all live on the intracoastal areas, but cross over to the mainland and its extreme poverty everywhere.
Vancouver doesn't have that extreme situation, but a lot of poor people here who do need a helping hand to keep them from slipping further into drugs, poverty and ultimately on the streets along hastings.  

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:08 pm

VanLord wrote:
yzfr1 wrote:
VanLord wrote:

I agree with you, its a vicious cycle though and it is harder and harder to get out of poverty, especially in the states.  I think its systemic with the school systems, the attitude, so many factors make it very difficult to break out.  
I was watching a news report on Marrine LePen and the Muslim situation in France, and a lot of the problems are to do with Muslim boys doing poorly in school, with no opportunities to succeed in the French society, no jobs and unable to fit-in to society, which has lead them to radicalization.  I think that is similar in the US with the black population, except they turn to gangs, drugs and gun violence, usually against themselves.  Probably to some degree the police in the US keep these poor people in check, as long as they stick to killing each other its ok, but as soon as they cross over into the rich neighbourhoods, the cops are on them and they go to jail.  Have you ever been to places like West Palm Beach.  Its literally that way...The richest people in the world all live on the intracoastal areas, but cross over to the mainland and its extreme poverty everywhere.
Vancouver doesn't have that extreme situation, but a lot of poor people here who do need a helping hand to keep them from slipping further into drugs, poverty and ultimately on the streets along hastings.  

France gives free education to anyone regardless of citizenship and people that actually live in Vancouver know there is plenty of free money and support given to those that dont contribute

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:19 pm

VanLord wrote:

+1. We can agree on this.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:22 pm

oops! taking peoples money to give to others who dont work for it doesnt work ! ding!

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6010 ... ic-income/

yzfr1
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:32 pm

Is the top 1% some how oppressing us from living life? Are they actively trying to screw around with us?

Why is the middle class worst of then our parents? Like I said... are we facing more persecution? Less equality, less access to education ??

The middle class is worst off because they have entitlement! Our parents were frugil savers, eat at home and dont waste. No every dick harry and tom drives a BMW, changes cell phone every year. Wears Prada and LV

The top 1% doesn't need to screw us up... the middle class is doing it to themselves with their credit card, loans and vacations.

There is so much information out there, now everyone can learn to invest in capital markets, buisness ect ect.

We have more advantages and opportunities then our parents but are doing worst because of entitlement.

I never blame the system. Everyone knows the game, its up to us to make it work with what you can and when you can.
Last edited by yzfr1 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:33 pm

there's already low rent housing in vancouver by the way 

http://vancouver.ca/people-programs/app ... using.aspx

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:35 pm

yzfr1 wrote:
There is so much information out there, now everyone can learn to invest in capital markets, buisness ect ect.

^----- Correction - Gamble in the stock market and pay a lot of tax.
Intelligent people know there's nothing else in Canada like paying off a mortgage on their home early as the interest not paid is an unlimited tax free income.

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:41 pm

yzfr1 wrote:

In the first place, the numbers show inequality growing since the 1970s. Next, there is a struggle to cut the pie. The little people are losing.  Finally, many of the tech billionaires have pledged half their fortune in their lifetime.  :mrgreen:

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:42 pm

jimtan wrote:
yzfr1 wrote:

In the first place, the numbers show inequality growing since the 1970s. Next, there is a struggle to cut the pie. The little people are losing.  Finally, many of the tech billionaires have pledged half their fortune in their lifetime.  :mrgreen:

Those are americans. not related to vancouver.  next!

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:51 pm

reallyreal2 wrote:
I think everyone agrees that the middle class has it worse off now than 40 years ago.  You think the reason for this is because the poor are living off of handouts?  Otherwise, everybody is worrying about the wrong side of the problem.  

+1
There are some who will pursue wealth at the expense of others (environmental issues, tax evasion). 

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:52 pm

The in thing these days is to bring others down to your level and have drool plus envy instead of improving oneself

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:53 pm

reallyreal2 wrote:
I think just I think that the middle class has it worse off now than 40 years ago.

FTFY

reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:53 pm

yzfr1 wrote:
Is the top 1% some how oppressing us from living life? Are they actively trying to screw around with us?

Why is the middle class worst of then our parents? Like I said... are we facing more persecution? Less equality, less access to education ??

The middle class is worst off because they have entitlement! Our parents were frugil savers, eat at home and dont waste. No every dick harry and tom drives a BMW, changes cell phone every year. Wears Prada and LV

The top 1% doesn't need to screw us up... the middle class is doing it to themselves with their credit card, loans and vacations.

We have more advantages and opportunities then our parents but are doing worst because of entitlement.

I never blame the system. Everyone knows the game, its up to us to make it work with what you can and when you can.

Most of my friends had one parent that worked and one that stayed home.  That is rare now.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:56 pm

reallyreal2 wrote:
yzfr1 wrote:

Most of my friends had one parent that worked and one that stayed home.  That is rare now.

The vast majority of my friends had either a stay at home dad/mom with the other part time or at home.   It's pretty much the thing to do these days.