This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Re: New affordable housing policies for the young

Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:46 am

VanLord wrote:
jimtan wrote:
reallyreal2 wrote:

You guys are all sheep and don't even realize it.  Talking about people being entitled yet have no idea that  you are just voting against your own interests.  It's so funny that you are worried about the poor abusing the system yet don't look up and realize the 1% abuse it tenfold as much as the poor - the pie is just getting so much smaller for the 99% that we fight with each other over it.  I think the rich feel entitlement - entitlement to tax breaks, entitlement to special treatment etc.  Don't worry about me feeling entitled to a modest home.

The bigger danger is the populist backlash against the 2%. That's how Donald Rrump got into power. Will things return to 'normal' after Rrump leaves office? Or, is the 'normal' over?

Its actually the .0001% are the problem, this whole 1% is a bit of a misnomer...let alone the 2%.  The bottom of the 1% are still middle class, its not like they can afford to drive around in Ferrari's and live in Mansions, yes they have gotten ahead in life, but aren't the elite upper class you are talking about.  
the Irony of the Trump "backlash" is that they lower class has screwed themselves over on this one, meanwhile Trump is setting up for a feast of the .00000001% like never seen before.  The billoinaires are having a field day, and the wealth gap is only going to grow larger and larger.

the drool and envy is showing

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:46 am

reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:02 am

VanLord wrote:
jimtan wrote:
reallyreal2 wrote:

You guys are all sheep and don't even realize it.  Talking about people being entitled yet have no idea that  you are just voting against your own interests.  It's so funny that you are worried about the poor abusing the system yet don't look up and realize the 1% abuse it tenfold as much as the poor - the pie is just getting so much smaller for the 99% that we fight with each other over it.  I think the rich feel entitlement - entitlement to tax breaks, entitlement to special treatment etc.  Don't worry about me feeling entitled to a modest home.

The bigger danger is the populist backlash against the 2%. That's how Donald Rrump got into power. Will things return to 'normal' after Rrump leaves office? Or, is the 'normal' over?

Its actually the .0001% are the problem, this whole 1% is a bit of a misnomer...let alone the 2%.  The bottom of the 1% are still middle class, its not like they can afford to drive around in Ferrari's and live in Mansions, yes they have gotten ahead in life, but aren't the elite upper class you are talking about.  
the Irony of the Trump "backlash" is that they lower class has screwed themselves over on this one, meanwhile Trump is setting up for a feast of the .00000001% like never seen before.  The billoinaires are having a field day, and the wealth gap is only going to grow larger and larger.
Again back to Vancouver policies, our council should be also thinking about how to enable our young people to stay in this city and a large part of that will be building a strong knowledge economy to enable high paying jobs...Vancouver is never going to be a cheap place to live, especially when our governments at all three levels are selling us down the river with massive spending and ever increasing debt that is being left to the next generations.  

Fair enough - just talking about semantics though.
I find it amusing when people cry about the poor gaming the system when the super rich game the system much more - yet everybody focuses on the guy that has an issue (substance, mental health, physical, etc) because that is easier.

yzfr1
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:06 am

The attitude towards to the poor... lots of terms are thrown around like equality.

I ask you this, if the "poor" was your own child. Your child is un educated, un motivated, stuck in a rut. Is the solution to "keep throwing money" at the problem? Rent them a house, give them more allowance?

Things like raising the minimum wage, affordable housing for all. Is this not a banaid solution, its treating the symptoms without fixing the root problems.

If you want your kid to move out of poverty, you need to give them some tough love. Indeed they need help, programs for higher education, oppertunits to work.

Enabling your child to stay in the "status quo" will not work. This is why I don't belive in the "affordable housing" for everyone argument.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Better transit into the Fraser valley, there is allot of potential for "more affordable" housing. There just needs to be a perception shift. Vancouver is not a starting point but rather something to aspire to.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:07 am

reallyreal2 wrote:
VanLord wrote:
jimtan wrote:

Again back to Vancouver policies, our council should be also thinking about how to enable our young people to stay in this city and a large part of that will be building a strong knowledge economy to enable high paying jobs...Vancouver is never going to be a cheap place to live, especially when our governments at all three levels are selling us down the river with massive spending and ever increasing debt that is being left to the next generations.  

I find it amusing when people cry about the poor gaming the system when the super rich game the system much more - yet everybody focuses on the guy that has an issue (substance, mental health, physical, etc) because that is easier.

spending someone elses money for unproductive reasons is easy

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:08 am

yzfr1 wrote:
The attitude towards to the poor... lots of terms are thrown around like equality.

I ask you this, if the "poor" was your own child. Your child is un educated, un motivated, stuck in a rut. Is the solution to "keep throwing money" at the problem? Rent them a house, give them more allowance?

Things like raising the minimum wage, affordable housing for all. Is this not a banaid solution, its treating the symptoms without fixing the root problems.

If you want your kid to move out of poverty, you need to give them some tough love. Indeed they need help, programs for higher education, oppertunits to work.

Enabling your child to stay in the "status quo" will not work. This is why I don't belive in the "affordable housing" for everyone argument.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Better transit into the Fraser valley, there is allot of potential for "more affordable" housing. There just needs to be a perception shift. Vancouver is not a starting point but rather something to aspire to.

culture of envy, drool and entitlement

yzfr1
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:09 am

reallyreal2 wrote:
VanLord wrote:
jimtan wrote:

The beauty of a free market is nothing is stoping you from moving to the top .01% and game the system. You have everything you need in front of you.

Look at the top billionaires

Mark Zuckerberg, Larry Ellison, Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos

I don't think they "gamed" the system.

VanLord
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:14 am

reallyreal2 wrote:
VanLord wrote:
jimtan wrote:

Sadly if the poor focused on improving their lot in life, rather than scamming the system, they could get so much further ahead.  I'm not sure I want to go down this path, but the fact of the matter is that we Canada have let to many people take advantage of the system who aren't paying into it.  The hospitals are full of elderly people that don't speak english, they have come to Canada to take advantage of our generosity.  Its one thing to come here, work hard, pay taxes, get sick, get cared for, etc.  But there are so many examples of people coming here once they are sick to take advantage of the system, without paying into the system...That is what needs to be cleaned up, these people should not be given a free ride.

VanLord
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:20 am

yzfr1 wrote:
reallyreal2 wrote:
VanLord wrote:

The beauty of a free market is nothing is stoping you from moving to the top .01% and game the system. You have everything you need in front of you.

We're on the same page.  Although these guys were born with special talents and abilities, not everyone can create the biggest companies in the world, a lot of which came from their intelligence and drive, with some luck thrown in.
But certainly if everyone could improve on their life and be better than their parents, we would be on the right track.  Currently we are going in the wrong direction and breaking the cycle of poverty is harder and harder, while the ultra rich are taking advantage of the system, and trump is going to put that into hyperdrive, with his deregulation, tax changes, etc.

reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:31 am

yzfr1 wrote:
reallyreal2 wrote:
VanLord wrote:

So you are OK with the rich gaming the system but not the poor - gotcha.

yzfr1
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:35 am

VanLord wrote:
yzfr1 wrote:
reallyreal2 wrote:

We're on the same page.  Although these guys were born with special talents and abilities, not everyone can create the biggest companies in the world, a lot of which came from their intelligence and drive, with some luck thrown in.
But certainly if everyone could improve on their life and be better than their parents, we would be on the right track.  Currently we are going in the wrong direction and breaking the cycle of poverty is harder and harder, while the ultra rich are taking advantage of the system, and trump is going to put that into hyperdrive, with his deregulation, tax changes, etc.

So I ask you, why cant kids be better then their parents? Why is the current generation worst off then the baby boomers? There is more freedom, more social programs there has ever been since the 1950's/
Equality in the work place, equal oppertunits for minorities and gender equality.

I don't buy the idea that the top 1% is holding society down, just like you guys find it crazy that African Americans continue to blame their poverty on white guys holding them down.

Over abundance in prosperity has caused entitlement, end of story. Everyone wants things handed to them yesterday. I work and have a good job so I deserve X Y Z.

reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:38 am

VanLord wrote:
yzfr1 wrote:
reallyreal2 wrote:

I guess the easiest way to answer this.
I think everyone agrees that the middle class has it worse off now than 40 years ago.  You think the reason for this is because the poor are living off of handouts?  Otherwise, everybody is worrying about the wrong side of the problem.  

reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:39 am

yzfr1 wrote:
VanLord wrote:
yzfr1 wrote:

So I ask you, why cant kids be better then their parents? Why is the current generation worst off then the baby boomers? There is more freedom, more social programs there has ever been since the 1950's/
Equality in the work place, equal oppertunits for minorities and gender equality.

I don't buy the idea that the top 1% is holding society down, just like you guys find it crazy that African Americans continue to blame their poverty on white guys holding them down.

Over abundance in prosperity has caused entitlement, end of story. Everyone wants things handed to them yesterday. I work and have a good job so I deserve X Y Z.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:51 am

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:52 am

reallyreal2 wrote:
VanLord wrote:
yzfr1 wrote:

I guess the easiest way to answer this.
I think everyone agrees that the middle class has it worse off now than 40 years ago.  You think the reason for this is because the poor are living off of handouts? 

Yes who else do you think its paying for those 'free' handouts