This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

chuck2005
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Completion and Possession ish

Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:14 pm

I sell a rental house.  Tenant left early- house is vacant.  Completion is Thursday.  Friday is possession at 1:00.
On Thursday, realtor confirms with notary that funds have arrived and deal has closed.  Buyer wants in a day early- the moving van is parked in front of the house.
I don't want to be a d- - - , but I say no. Possession is Friday and I don't want any Murphy's Law crap to happen, ie- if appliance gets damaged- who pays? If insurance claim for a storm- whose deductible?  etc.  I say- follow the contract- they agreed to that date- let's just leave it as is.
Now, everyone is pissed.  Both agents , the buyer....  ????  They are saying that if I have the money- they can move in.  No big deal, it's done all the time.

Is it?

reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker

Re: Completion and Possession ish

Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:52 pm

I think you are in the right.

What do you have to gain from letting them in early?

westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:58 am

The beautiful thing about contracts is that they spell out exactly what makes up a deal, so that there is no room for ambiguity.  Does the contract say "if the seller has the money, the buyer can move in"?  No, it doesn't - you have a specific date for completion, and a specific date for possession.  Its within your rights to stick to them, regardless of the state of the house or the wishes of the buyer.  You have a legitimate concern with insurance and liabilities while you still contractually "possess" the house.

Too bad for the buyers and their agent for not planning on the correct date for the moving truck to show up.

reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker

Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:06 pm

The realtors have nobody to blame but themselves and have zero reason to be upset.

Then again, they are realtors.  The lowest of the low.

reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker

Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:50 pm

Curious to know which idiot realtors thought it was ok to be upset with a client for following a contract?

Clearly they are of disrepute and probably had someone write their real estate exam on their behalf.

LOL... my guess .. it was Mike Stewart

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:59 pm

The realtors have everyone to blame but everyone else and have all the reasons to be upset. They are the highest of the high.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:00 pm

Wondering which of the moronic unvetted average citizens thought it was ok to display such abject envy?

reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:30 pm

I wonder what google translate is trying to communicate now?  LOL - like anybody has a clue what they are saying.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:36 pm

^---- Wants what others have that he/she/it doesnt have

VanBullBear
Real Estate Talker

Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:24 pm

reallyreal2 wrote:
I wonder what google translate is trying to communicate now?  LOL - like anybody has a clue what they are saying.

Lol ikr. Pretty sad individuals here who have nothing better to do but troll all day everyday for years on end. It's quite obvious that some individuals are lonely and likely lacking attention in real life so they go online and fish for attention.