This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

oilgasworker
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Van detached house building costs

Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:36 am

It will be interesting to see where the newer detached house prices in Vancouver balance out at in the next few years. The cost of demolishing and building a new house in Van is outrageous now. On a 33x140ish lot, new house (average quality 3 levels in East Van) with laneway will cost about 850 to 900k to build. Add at least 20% extra for west side. City of Vancouver fees alone are over 50k plus you will have to wait at least 6 months to get a building permit. The new COV energy standards are adding a lot to the building costs. Plus I heard the raw material costs like lumber and drywall are going up as well now. It's lucky that I built my place 5 years ago when it was much less expensive. What are your experiences with building new in Vancouver? 

oli
Real Estate Talker

Re: Van detached house building costs

Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:23 pm

Is building in Burnaby or Richmond better - ie:  easier/cheaper?  

Harahomes
Real Estate Talker

Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:35 pm

Hi
Your build costs are very high.  East Vancouver build costs about 125 to about 200 dollars a sq ft.  The 200 dollars is a very high estimate.  I very rarely see a house that's built at that cost.  They usually average around 170ish a sq ft.  Burnaby is about 10% less, if all things are equal. 

Building in Burnaby is a little easier, because you don't have to deal with long wait times, sprinkler systems and hiring a "professional" to make sure you building is air tight.  (total cash grab by the city if you ask me)

oilgasworker
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:11 pm

I know some people building in the higher range but maybe it is because the house is modern contemporary style and architecturally designed.  I'm noticing a lot of builders building houses and townhouses now using OSB wood instead of plywood. I was told OSB breaks down when it gets soaked with rain. Savings of about $8000 as compared to plywood. Is using OSB in Vancouver a good thing to do?

reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker

Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:55 am

If I went into a house and someone told me they built it recently for $125/ft, I would walk out.  Impossibly cheap construction.

Most buyers in the city are naive when it comes to new construction.  Don't know the difference between quality and the appearance of quality.

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:51 pm

Some companies are offering container homes and some of them look very attractive, they can be spacious and offer numerous desirable characteristics beside low cost.

I saw this comment at http://www.jetsongreen.com/2010/02/ten-things-consider-shipping-container-projects.html

Edited for brevity:

Hannah February 10, 2010 at 9:49 pm[color=#333333] - Reply[/color]
We have priced containers and pre-shipping you can get a 20ft or a 40ft, High Cube for $1750, $1500 if you buy more than one. This is not including shipping, which, yes, if you don’t live near a port like we do, will cost you.

We are quoted $300 sq ft for building a house, I Guarantee it will not cost that much to build a container home. A gorgeous one was built in Montreal for $75 US a sq ft…..

oilgasworker
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:36 am

Harahomes
Real Estate Talker

Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:55 am

oilgasworker wrote:
I know some people building in the higher range but maybe it is because the house is modern contemporary style and architecturally designed.  I'm noticing a lot of builders building houses and townhouses now using OSB wood instead of plywood. I was told OSB breaks down when it gets soaked with rain. Savings of about $8000 as compared to plywood. Is using OSB in Vancouver a good thing to do?

OSB costs about 7 to 10 dollars less a sheet.  Smaller homes use about 300 sheets, approximately.  OSB is okay in dry weather, if it rains a little bit you should be okay.  You really have problems with it when you have weeks of rain.  Never use it for sheeting a roof or floors.  Water tends pool on the floors and destroys it during construction.
If you have a leak or some sort of slow water pipe leak in the inside of the house after construction you lose all structural stability with the OSB ply. It starts to fall apart.
I have had engineers tell me the sheer structural stability of OSB is not as great as laminated ply (regular ply).  Having said that, Im not an engineer so don't quote me on that.
So back to your original question, is OSB good for Vancouver?
Sure, as long as you use it for sheeting the walls.  Don't use it on floors or roofs and try not to use it in the rain.  Also try not using it for sheer walls.  It might not be structurally adequate.

Harahomes
Real Estate Talker

Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:55 am

Geyser wrote:
Some companies are offering container homes and some of them look very attractive, they can be spacious and offer numerous desirable characteristics beside low cost.

I saw this comment at http://www.jetsongreen.com/2010/02/ten-things-consider-shipping-container-projects.html

Edited for brevity:

We have priced containers and pre-shipping you can get a 20ft or a 40ft, High Cube for $1750, $1500 if you buy more than one. This is not including shipping, which, yes, if you don’t live near a port like we do, will cost you.

We are quoted $300 sq ft for building a house, I Guarantee it will not cost that much to build a container home. A gorgeous one was built in Montreal for $75 US a sq ft…..

Your not saving that much money using shipping containers.  If you look at it the shipping container is just really replacing the wood framing of a building.  You still have to plumb and insulate it.  I would assume you would have to insulate them more than a regular home because the outside is made of metal (transfer of heat and cold easier than wood)  Once you start framing the inside of a container you are left with an 8 ft wide space and 9 ft ceilings.
Looks attractive but not very appropriate for Vancouver weather.  Would work great for short term housing, ie disaster relief or a replacement of a log cabin.

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:05 pm

Harahomes wrote:
Geyser wrote:

Edited for brevity:

Your not saving that much money using shipping containers.  If you look at it the shipping container is just really replacing the wood framing of a building.  You still have to plumb and insulate it.  I would assume you would have to insulate them more than a regular home because the outside is made of metal (transfer of heat and cold easier than wood)  Once you start framing the inside of a container you are left with an 8 ft wide space and 9 ft ceilings.
Looks attractive but not very appropriate for Vancouver weather.  Would work great for short term housing, ie disaster relief or a replacement of a log cabin.

If you look at this pavilion made in China you will see that in reality the size and style of these buildings is only limited by the skill and imagination of the architect and/or builder. 

http://www.jetsongreen.com/2016/08/pavilion-made-of-stacked-shipping-containers.html

Note that wide rooms and soaring ceilings are all achievable. Insulation is relatively simple but I agree that you still have the same plumbing and wiring expenses that apply with wood frame. Of course, in an earthquake or a hurricane, your family would be much safer in a container building, assuming it is properly secured to its concrete foundation.

Containers can be far more secure than frame buildings, much harder to burn down and, depending on window and door construction, much harder to burglarize.

Harahomes
Real Estate Talker

Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:37 pm

The link that you sent shows bare shipping containers.  There is no drywall, insulation, heating, kitchens or any sort of finishing on the inside.  Once you add that all in the space would get owfully tight.  You wouldn't be able to live in that for very long.  Also, they way they are stacked looks nice, but there is no way they are more structural secure against a earthquake than wood framed building that is done up to code now.
As far as being robbed, when was the last time a robber went through a wall?  Don't they always use windows or doors?  If they were to use a wall, Im betting it would take almost the same amount of effort to get through steel as stucco and wood frame.  But hey who am I to make these judgements, im not a structural engineer.......
On the other hand, if you think you can save money and build a home out of containers you might be on to something.  Maybe you should go into business building container homes?  let me know how that works out :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

rofina
Real Estate Talker

Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:08 pm

Harahomes wrote:
The link that you sent shows bare shipping containers.  There is no drywall, insulation, heating, kitchens or any sort of finishing on the inside.  Once you add that all in the space would get owfully tight.  You wouldn't be able to live in that for very long.  Also, they way they are stacked looks nice, but there is no way they are more structural secure against a earthquake than wood framed building that is done up to code now.
As far as being robbed, when was the last time a robber went through a wall?  Don't they always use windows or doors?  If they were to use a wall, Im betting it would take almost the same amount of effort to get through steel as stucco and wood frame.  But hey who am I to make these judgements, im not a structural engineer.......
On the other hand, if you think you can save money and build a home out of containers you might be on to something.  Maybe you should go into business building container homes?  let me know how that works out :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Im surprised how off you are on this being a local home builder.
I spend a good bit of time in coastal California where container homes are really gaining traction, and where building costs are similar to BC - particularly Lower Mainland. 
You can achieve massive reduction in building costs using container homes, and the design is not limited at all. 
The primary reason why this is not working out in Vancouver, as usual, is red tape and industry lobbying that prevents any reduction in building costs. 
Anyone who is under the impression that building in this region is efficient, is absolutely insane. 

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:33 pm

rofina wrote:
Harahomes wrote:

Im surprised how off you are on this being a local home builder.
I spend a good bit of time in coastal California where container homes are really gaining traction, and where building costs are similar to BC - particularly Lower Mainland. 
You can achieve massive reduction in building costs using container homes, and the design is not limited at all. 
The primary reason why this is not working out in Vancouver, as usual, is red tape and industry lobbying that prevents any reduction in building costs. 
Anyone who is under the impression that building in this region is efficient, is absolutely insane. 

+1
As previously stated, the only limit with container homes is the skill and imagination of the builder/architect which in BC does seem to be lacking.

Check out this spacious container home.

And please take a look at this more imaginative one at the higher end of the scale. I think many folks would be quite happy living in this much space! It's worth following the link to see photos of the beautiful interior.

http://www.ikeadecoration.com/home-designing/31-containers-into-one-shattering-beautiful-shipping-container-homes-by-zeigler-build.html

As Rofina correctly pointed out, some of our local builders lack of knowledge about these homes is very surprising.

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:17 pm

Harahomes wrote:

I don't know if the residents survived this but if they did, I bet they wish they had been in a container home instead.

And here's a shot of a car versus a container. 

You don't need to be a structural engineer to see who won that match. :lol:

As for burglars, doors framed with wood and stucco only keep out honest people. A steel framed solid door set in the steel wall of a container is much more challenging.

In the case of a remote cabin, you can build a container cabin with all the glass and the entryway on one side. You can retain the original steel doors and seal it up tight for the off-season. Not many burglars carry the cutting torches they would need for forced entry, and when the cabin is sealed its relatively fireproof too!

Finally, I don't need to get into the container home business, I'm long retired. Use Google and you'll find a growing number of successful builders are already cashing in on the growing trend. I'm surprised that as a builder you appear to be so unaware of modern trends. Or are you just unnerved by the looming competition?

Harahomes
Real Estate Talker

Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:26 pm

I'm not sure many people would want to live in a container home. 

Anyways I'm done being trolled.  If you think container homes are better than regular homes that's fine.  Lets agree to disagree.