This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Re: New to Real Estate (Vancouver) - Need Strategic Advice

Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:08 pm

It is reality. I didnt say its opinion. That's racist.

reallyreal
Real Estate Talker

Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:41 pm

Everything is racist then - who cares?

whattodo
Real Estate Talker

Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:43 pm

This racism point of view is ridiculous.

Canadian real estate should be for Canadians not for foreigners! The fact that our government allows dirty corrupt laundered money to buy Canadian real estate is the problem. Racism is not. Law abiding Canadian citizens can't compete with China.

Chinese companies pay their employees low wages. There is no such thing as benefits, pensions, unemployment insurance. They also pollute a lot, have no safety standards, no mininum wage laws, overtime is expected but not paid and they use underage children in their workforce. The owners of these companies bribe government officials so they pay very little income tax. This is why the owners are very rich and can afford to buy multi million dollar houses in west van and Canadians can not. If you are OK with this then you are an UnCanadian as our politicians! I personally am disgusted by it. If Canadian business owners operated like this they would be in jail long before they made enough money to buy a house in Vancouver. But, since they are foreigners nobody questions how they made their money.

And yes I am a home owner. You talk about Canadians being entitled to own homes but the entitlement I keep hearing is about Canadians who feel entitled to their equity. They feel entitled that their homes should go up $100,000 per year indefinitely. They don't want our politicians to anything to reduce their home equity. The only way I make them see my point is when I ask them where will their kids live? Then I get the "oh shit" blank stare and then they shut up.

Rant over. Have a nice day :D

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:47 pm

That's quite racist. and exclusionary too

rofina
Real Estate Talker

Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:03 pm

tdma800 wrote:

You can't buy land in China.

I can't pay my staff $2.50 an hour.

The least we can do is protect our peoples ability to put a roof over their heads.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:20 pm

reallyreal
Real Estate Talker

Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:21 pm

rofina wrote:
tdma800 wrote:

You can't buy land in China.

I can't pay my staff $2.50 an hour.

The least we can do is protect our peoples ability to put a roof over their heads.

See - the Chinese are racist and excusionary too! So who cares if Canadians are ... Have to fight fire with fire. Stop with worrying about politically correct and take care of Canadians - no matter their race.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:22 pm

It isn't appropriate to be racist in Canada

whattodo
Real Estate Talker

Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:54 pm

TDMA,

I don't think you get it. Canadian politicians are voted in to put Canadians first. That's what their job is. This is not racism. A Canadian who is born here and who works here with average pay should be able to buy a home & raise a family in it. And a 1 bedroom condo doesn't work if you have 2 kids (or even one kid). Yet, that's what most Canadians in the lower mainland can only afford.

Instead our politicians allow laundered foreign money to buy our real estate. So, they favour foreigners over Canadians. This is not what their job is to do. This is anti-Canadian. It's discrimination against Canadians. And you are ok with this?

Demonizer
Real Estate Talker

Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:53 am

whattodo wrote:
This racism point of view is ridiculous.

Canadian real estate should be for Canadians not for foreigners! The fact that our government allows dirty corrupt laundered money to buy Canadian real estate is the problem. Racism is not. Law abiding Canadian citizens can't compete with China.

Chinese companies pay their employees low wages. There is no such thing as benefits, pensions, unemployment insurance. They also pollute a lot, have no safety standards, no mininum wage laws, overtime is expected but not paid and they use underage children in their workforce. The owners of these companies bribe government officials so they pay very little income tax. This is why the owners are very rich and can afford to buy multi million dollar houses in west van and Canadians can not. If you are OK with this then you are an UnCanadian as our politicians! I personally am disgusted by it. If Canadian business owners operated like this they would be in jail long before they made enough money to buy a house in Vancouver. But, since they are foreigners nobody questions how they made their money.

And yes I am a home owner. You talk about Canadians being entitled to own homes but the entitlement I keep hearing is about Canadians who feel entitled to their equity. They feel entitled that their homes should go up $100,000 per year indefinitely. They don't want our politicians to anything to reduce their home equity. The only way I make them see my point is when I ask them where will their kids live? Then I get the "oh shit" blank stare and then they shut up.

Rant over. Have a nice day :D

this seems to be a very common belief that foreign billionaires buy high end property and let them sit empty or have wife and kid there. Chinese seem to be the target.

But i know realtors and they say everyone is buying in the market. Inherited money, families etc.

The most vocal it seems are those that cannot afford a home. Well guess what? not everyone is supposed to. If your dream of all your kids and grandkids could afford houses would be true, then there would be nothing left regardless.

And another thing no one seems to talk about, drug money, gangsters and such. And the marijuana, cocaine and heroin money. Surely some of it is buying real estate too.

there are plenty of accountants, lawyers and importers that live here too. They import goods and distribute wholesale across the country. The logistics businesses make a killing off the container traffic and warehousing.

whattodo
Real Estate Talker

Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:21 am

Not everyone should be able to afford a house. I agree with that. But, if a family is in the top 10% of earners in Vancouver city (say $150K - $200K a year income) and they can't afford a house that is a problem.This is caused be foreign money not local incomes.

I have friends living near Seattle & Portland. They earn $100K total family income (work part time) and a house is 500K - 600K. That same house in Vancouver is 1.5 million.

Trickle down effect is causing prices to go up very high even in Langley.

What's your advice to a 15 year old kid without an inheritance who was born in Vancouver?
Would you tell him that even if he is a doctor he may not be able to buy a house where he grew up. Foreigners own everything so you may as well leave the city/country. Sounds very Uncanadian to me.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:25 pm

There's no proverbial firearm to any person's head making them stay. And those Seattle/Portland people are paying 2 to 3 times the property taxes they would pay in Vancouver

reallyreal
Real Estate Talker

Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:21 pm

thats very racist - very inappopriate for Canada.

Tsk tsk tdma. Or it is only ok for Chinese sympathizers to be racist?

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:23 pm

You said something racist first

westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:02 pm

whattodo wrote:
Not everyone should be able to afford a house. I agree with that. But, if a family is in the top 10% of earners in Vancouver city (say $150K - $200K a year income) and they can't afford a house that is a problem.This is caused be foreign money not local incomes.

I have friends living near Seattle & Portland. They earn $100K total family income (work part time) and a house is 500K - 600K. That same house in Vancouver is 1.5 million.

Trickle down effect is causing prices to go up very high even in Langley.

What's your advice to a 15 year old kid without an inheritance who was born in Vancouver?
Would you tell him that even if he is a doctor he may not be able to buy a house where he grew up. Foreigners own everything so you may as well leave the city/country. Sounds very Uncanadian to me.

If you are making 200K a year, then you CAN afford a house in the immediate LM (Burnaby, Richmond, New West, perhaps even some parts of Vancouver), even with a moderate downpayment. That you choose not to buy that house (for whatever reason) is not the same thing.

As for the 15 year old kid... if owning a SFH in the city of his choice is the most important thing to him in life, then I would suggest that he plan to leave Vancouver, or plan to make compromises on where he chooses to live if he stays. There is nothing wrong with moving to a different city to work when you leave home, lots of Canadians do it.